Hot Rod Forum banner

HTP Welders Question for Toyman

10K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Bugs 
#1 · (Edited)
HTP Welders Question for Toyman or anyone who owns a HTP

Hey Toyman, I followed up with your advice in checking into the HTP welders, I have asked so many questions to a sales person named Steve that feel we have became freinds :) He has been so helpful that I just wouldn't feel right buying a welder from anyone else now, :)

It has come down to the 2400 Mig or the 201 AC DC Tig, I wish I could afford both, which model do you have? And are you still likeing it? They look like great welders, I especially like the fact that the 2400 Mig has the 4 roller gear driven wire feeder, I think this would be a big plus in pushing out aluminum wire useing the teflon liner, I am pretty sure that I will go with the 2400 Mig unless you or someone that has one gives a bad report on it, the prices are fairly good too, Thanks for leading me to them,Bugs :)

If anyone wants to check them out and let me know what you think about them ,Pro's or Con's here is their web site, www.usaweld.com, Thanks

#2 ·
made in Italy

I considered buying a mig from them a few years ago. I also liked the dual roller or gear drive mechanism.
However, the price, even with the discount the dude gave me, was still too much compared to the Miller I eventually bought.
And don't be fooled. Even though the website is called USAweld, at least the mig welders are made in Italy.

#3 ·
Thanks Scot, Italy huh,I did not know this, in price , not counting the 100.00 for shipping they were to the penny on the Miller I wanted, and I beleive from what I have heard that the Miller and the Hobart has plastic components in the wire drive with the top wheel being an idler wheel only, I plan on doing a lot of aluminum welding I just thought the four wheel drive was a good feature, I will go and look at the Miller and Hobart face to face before I buy just to be sure, :)

#4 ·
Bugs, just saw the post. I have the 140, which was the best 110 I could find and I love it! :thumbup: . I've always rec'd excellent service in the 4 or 5 years I've owned mine. I knew the mig/tig packs were made in Italy, and/but also get good reviews, but I wasn't aware that the migs were also? I would ask your sales person to be sure. I wouldn't hesistate for a minute to go with HTP, whether they are made in Italy or not. Make sure you compare the duty cycles and amperages for an apples to apples comparison also. Good luck which ever you buy!

#5 ·
HTP it is

Thanks Toyman, Well the 2400 Mig is what I will end up with, the 201 Tig is my second choice but I think for what I am getting into the Mig will be the best all around welder for me, as far as being made in Italy,,, well like I told my wife, if this company thinks enough of the welders to import them from Italy they must be pretty sure they are a top knotch machine to base their buisness on and to be in buisness for 25 years they can't be all bad :) I made a call to them today and they were very nice and helpful and didn't hesitate to answer any of my questions, you would think by now they would be sick of me with all the emails I have sent asking what some suppiers would consider dumb questions :) I just wanted to hear it from someone who owns one of their welders before I made my final choice, done deal, and for this I thank you very much, when I get it I will let you and all know what me and my son think of it and their service, have a great day , Bugs :)

#6 ·
"you would think by now they would be sick of me with all the emails I have sent asking what some suppiers would consider dumb questions"

I did the same thing when I bought mine. :D Good luck.

#7 ·
:D Yea I was full of questions for sure Toyman, I have been a stick welder all my life, I do know how to mig weld as my son has a small Miller that I have used,but when it come down to me spending my money on something I want to know what I am buying :)

You mentioned the duty cycle on the one I want , it's 35% at 240amps and
100% at142 amps,

That don't sound to shabby to me, I don't forsee a lot of 240amp welding in what I do, so that part suits me just fine ;) The biggset thing I hate is the shipping, I sure don't see how they can ship a 235lbs. welder from IL. to Fl. for 100.00 bucks,hope I'm not in for a surprise there :confused: Time will tell I guess, thanks again, Bugs

#8 ·
Hey scot, I contacted the usawelds guy and you are right about Italy, he said that some of the welders are made in Italy as well as some of their Plasma cutters, he said the one that I am getting, the 2400 is made in Hungry with a lot of Germen components(sp?) in it :D

I asked him about replacement parts and he said that was not a problem at all, said they stock every part for all their machines, even all the way back to the very first welder they ever sold, so I think I will still go for it, :confused: there is a lot of features I like on the welder and the price is right in there with the more common welders such as Miller and Hobart, remember,,, this one is "four wheel drive" :D and it's posi traction too :D

#9 ·
I've got an HTP 160 (MIG) and it is a FANTASTIC welder. The support from HTP America is second to none. I worked with Steve over there and he has been nothing but helpful from the get-go. I hightly recommend the HTP welders.

If you get one, you won't be disappointed.

#10 ·
Thank you very much Modas, I just love to hear reports like this, I still have to wait to buy mine because of me building my shop, I don't think there will be any hidden major cost in finishing it but I want to be sure before I put out the dough for the welder, my mind is made up however, it is going to be a HTP or nothing, I sent for the video tape that comes with the welder ahead of time(which they will reimburse me for when I make the final purchase) just to check out the HTP's in action and to learn a few things, I was really impressed , they actually took two razor blades, took a 160 like you have,set it on heat setting #1 and welded the blades together, there was no trick photography involved either, they did it right in front of the camera, :eek:

Not that I plan on welding any razor blades :D but this was sure something to see, if someone were to tell me they could weld razor blades together I would have just laughed and told them they were full of **** :D

Thanks again, I can't wait to get mine :)

#11 ·
I have been thinking of getting a welder soon. Was looking at the Lincoln 175pro. I know that I should be able to afford one of these by April/May time frame and wanted to see what the cost of one comparable to the 175pro? Lowes has the pro for around 599.00. Thanks.

#12 ·
Hi Fatboy95, It kinda sucks that they don't have their priceing on their web site but they send you a cataloge with every thing they sell to you the next day after you ask for one(free) :)

They have a Mig 120 for $459.00

A Mig 140 for $749.00

A Mig 1600 (160amp) for $749.00 (this be the closest to the one you want)

A Mig 160DV (Duel Voltage) for $1069.00

A Mig 160 for $919.00

And then they go up to 200 amp for $1069.00

These all come with everything except the gas bottle, including the cart

The one I am going to get is the Mig 2400 and it's $1299.00

It is more of a welder than I really need but when I pass it on to my son there's no telling what he might be doing with it so I went bigger

I hope this helps you, send for their cataloge and read up on them before you decide or you can call them with any questions toll free , they are real nice folks and will be glad to hear from you, I have been bugging a guy named Steve and he too is top knotch when it comes to welding, good luck :) Bugs

#14 ·
I heard that Henery, they are great machines , I have had my Lincoln 225amp AC for over 22 years now, it has been left out in the rain,several times, loaned out, thrown around , had mud dobbers build nest in it , you name it, it has been through the mill and still works as good as it did the day I bought it, and I bought it used at a pawn shop for $150.00, no telling how old it is, I am in no way putting down the popular brand names I just want to try something new that my old welder just can't do , you can bet my old welder isn't going anywhere to , when it comes to heavy Arc welding like on a dozer blade or something like this it's the best, but when it comes to something like sheet metal or aluminum it just don't cut the mustard ;)

#15 ·
I have asked them several questions and they have been extreemly friendly and answered everything. I still have at least a month before getting one so I have time to think. Sure is a lot more than I wanted to spend. I may stop by a few welding shops and talk to them to see what they have around here. Thanks for posting all the prices and I did order thier cataloge.

#16 ·
Yea by all means shop around first, I have been shopping for almost a year now , and I have learned a lot about Mig's and Tig's in the process, but my mind is made up now so I can move on to other things now :D

You can learn a lot just from their cataloge, good move :) I hope you are happy with what ever kind of welder you end up with, as long as you are happy that's all that matters,right :)

Let me know what you do end up with ok, Later, Bugs :)

#17 ·
Toyman said:
Bugs, just saw the post. I have the 140, which was the best 110 I could find and I love it! :thumbup: . I've always rec'd excellent service in the 4 or 5 years I've owned mine. I knew the mig/tig packs were made in Italy, and/but also get good reviews, but I wasn't aware that the migs were also? I would ask your sales person to be sure. I wouldn't hesistate for a minute to go with HTP, whether they are made in Italy or not. Make sure you compare the duty cycles and amperages for an apples to apples comparison also. Good luck which ever you buy!

I have the same one at home. I've owned it for about 13 years. Never had a single problem with it. I'm very happy with the quality. BTW, mine's made in Hungary. When we needed a welder at work, we also bought the 140 HTP.

#18 ·
This is what I want to hear Huskinhano, :) These welders just stuck out above all the rest with me for some reason, and after watching their video tape I sent for I was sold on them for sure , it's reply's like this that is going to make getting off that kind of money all that much easier :) Thanks, Bugs

#19 ·
Bugs said:
This is what I want to hear Huskinhano, :) These welders just stuck out above all the rest with me for some reason, and after watching their video tape I sent for I was sold on them for sure , it's reply's like this that is going to make getting off that kind of money all that much easier :) Thanks, Bugs

I'm not a welder or bodyman by trade but an electrician. So when I was looking to buy a small MIG welder, I looked at them all! I liked the specs on the HTP the best. It was more money then I was planning to spend but it's been one of the most if not the most satisfying purchases I've made with tools. The quality I thought was excellent when I first got it and I still think so today. At 135 pounds, you KNOW that it has a real transformer! You'll be happy with it.

#20 ·
The welder I am getting weighs 235lbs. it has to have one nice size transformer in it too, in the picture in the cataloge of the inside of their welders is kinda scary, lots of gaggets and things, looks like a well built tool to me,

Won't be long and I will have mine, the block mason is comeing this weekend to lay my knee wall for my shop, I decided not to attemt laying them myself, after this is done it won't be long , maybe by next week end my tools will at least be in the dry, might not have a concrete floor to set them on for a while, but getting the welder means more to me than a concrete floor at this time ;) Can't wait, thanks for your reply on it, I even got my wife to read it, her comment was , "Very good" :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.