Hub-centricity on American Racing wheels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2002, 09:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Hub-centricity on American Racing wheels

Thinking about adding a set of AR wheels to my old Corvette, but the AR rep tells me that none of their wheels are hub-centric. Says not to worry about it, that they're held in place by the studs and lug nuts. I've always thought that hub-centricity was a big deal -- if you didn't have it, you risked balance problems, messed up bolt-holes, etc. Opinions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

As I recall, all of the mags I have ever dealt with have centered on the lugs. Would be nearly impossible to make after-market wheels that would hub-center on all the different hub sizes out there. Both sets of wheels on my Willys (see photo album) are lug-centered w/ no problems.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:06 AM

Hubcentricity is not a necessity. I've had Custom wheels on an 86 Formula, a 90 Chevy stepside, a 2001 GMC, and a 2002 TA. The ONLY set that was/is hubcentric are the ones on my 2001 GMC. The rest are all lug centric. Hubcentricity has no affect on balance. They say if a wheel is not hub centric you will experience vibration. That is no necessarily true. It is possible, but as long as you tighten your lugs in an offset manner you will have NO problems. I am even using 1 inch adapters on the 2002 TA and NO vibration problems from 0 to 140mph. The 90 Chevy and the Formula never had vibration issues either!!! If you are really concerned about hub cetricity, any wheel/tire shop should have a selection of "universal" hub centric rings. It would be impossible for a wheel manufacturer to make a wheel to be hub centric for every vehicle out there. So, they make a select few popular hub diameters and the aftermarket community makes universal rings to make wheels fit just about any vehicle! Hope this helps!

Sorry so long, I've gone through this a lot. Evertime I call Discount Tire they tell me that a particular wheel I'm interested in won't fit my car. For the 2002 TA I ended up ordering wheels and telling them they were going on a BMW and I told them the backspacing and offset I wanted. Even when you have all the facts and tell them what you want they will still tell you it won't fit or they don't have it because their computer said so....
Old 08-23-2002, 12:19 PM

Thanks guys. Guess I'm worrying for nuthin'. The wheels I want are the very ones Willys has got pictured at the Hot Rod Reunion. Went into a shop today to price them, and the guy tells me they don't make 'em any more! I'm sure I just saw them on the American Racing web site. Called the type "D" or something. I'll try somewhere else. What size wheel/tire you running there Willys?
Old 08-23-2002, 01:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The front ones are 14"x6", the rears are 15"x8 1/2". The front tires are almost new, the rears are a few years old but don't show any wear. I am probably going to put them on eBay when I get over the emotional attachment. I've had them for 35 years! Also, need to save my pennies for the replacement wheels and tires on the rear. Lot$ of $$.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

ET III sells a very good version of the old TorqThrust. Sad that American doesn't even sell the wheel anymore that made the company what it is today. Kinda like B&M transmissions - I called them a few years ago for some information on my 4-speed hydro and the slack-jawed mouth-breather on the line asked me what a Hydro was! Just the transmission that made B&M a company, that's all.

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 08-25-2002, 03:24 PM

ET III? Don't know what that means. After the guy told me they don't have what I want, he tried to sell me the "new" version of your wheel. Looks like what they put on the Bullit Mustangs last year. Has the grey spokes, but it's a smoother, more modern look. Not what I had in mind. Even Cragar's going all modern now. Hard to find the classics! Everybody's focussing on 20 inchers for Honda's and SUV's. What's the world coming to?!?
Old 08-26-2002, 06:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Tell me about it! American doesn't make an American wheel, Halibrand doesn't make a Halibrand wheel, Cragar doesn't make a Cragar wheel. I guess you are stuck going to swapmeets. Or, how about some of the ET IIIs and sandblast the spokes? (www.etwheels.com) That's the finish on my wheels.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 09-03-2002, 01:16 PM

Have you guys heard of American Eagle wheels? <a href="http://www.americaneaglewheels.com" target="_blank">www.americaneaglewheels.com</a> They've got a type 211 that looks like the Torque Thrust, costs less, and is actually made in the U.S.! The price difference will pay for a pair of tires. I'm told the finish isn't as nice as the American Racing wheels, so I'm gonna try to look at some on the weekend. There's a shop about a half hour from here that carries them. Can't find the ET's around here. I'm up in Toronto, Canada. American Racing does still sell the Type D by the way. This same shop carries them. Can't trust anybody these days! I'll let you know what I find.

Adios.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.