HUGE hot rod...Must see - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HUGE hot rod...Must see

Twice a year in Hughesville PA right down the road from me is a consignment auction. this place is notorious for having some wacky stuff. In years past I have seen a lifted 4 door 4x4 Pontiac grandam, a 4 cylinder motorcycle engine grafted into a lawn-boy, an unidentified tracked vehicle, various school buses turned into all sorts of things, and a home made "round bale splitter" (picture a wood splitter that you and 5 of your buddies could drink beer inside of). Just this year I saw a 250 quad racer with a 1000 cc vtwin, another motorcycle lawnmower conglomeration, and this bad boy:

the guy in the green is about 6 feet tall

This monster is obviously some sort of hand built something or other with all sorts of neat parts, the best being the engines, yup plural. Two flat head v12's hooked up crank to crank, probably some sort of marine engines judging by the the name (I forgot the name sorry). the back tires are flotation tires out from under a tri-axle, the front end also seems to be borrowed from a big rig and everything from the doors back is made from plywood and 2x6's...and bondo, lots of bondo. sorry about the picture quality these were taken on my cell phone.

the best part, it lives. I didn't actually see it move under its own power but its evident by the mud on the back tires that it will get down the road by it's self. I'm thinking about firing it up Saturday, or finding the owner and seeing if he (or she..but I'm betting he) will fire it up, I've never heard heard 24 synchronized cylinders bellowing out of open exhaust before...but I can only imagine its breathtaking.

the auction hasn't taken place yet and hopefully I can get some good pictures of this thing when I go back Saturday. I know what your all thinking..."are you going to buy it?" and the answer is i hope not but my brother might, that's him in the second picture with the big grin on his face, hes over 6 feet tall and it makes him look like a kid.

Last edited by leldai73; 03-18-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Pretty dang neat!

Lightened up to show a little more detail-

Old 03-18-2010, 06:16 AM

Last photo:

strange builds

We'd love to see some pics of some of that other, uhh, 'stuff' that shows up at the event!!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 AM
tired and retired

Last journal entry: mock up on chassis.
Last photo:

that thing is cool.

imangine my dwarf car and that at the same cruz-in side by side

is that the worlds largest rat rod?
maybe the blastolean brothers will by it and restore it, the have several LARGE vechicles.
l could see jay leno wanting it for his collection.

the guy in the pic is 5'10, that shows how small my car is.

BUY IT, BUY IT, BUY IT.

lATER
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dwar at norma's 2008.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	44607   Click image for larger version

Name:	1934-chevy dwarf-car with john 2007.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	44608  

Last edited by skull; 03-18-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

it would be fun for car shows...but the fact that you would need a tractor trailer to tote it around is a little off putting. and the whole tail end being made from plywood and bondo is a bit pesky as well...wonder what the fuel mileage is on monster like that.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 AM
WFO

Last photo:

What is the engine- Seagrave ring a bell?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:40 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull
maybe the blasolean brothers will by it and restore it, the have several LARGE vechicles.
Here's 'Sneaky Pete' (as in 'Peterbilt'):

Old 03-18-2010, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Seagrave does ring a bell
Old 03-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Here's 'Sneaky Pete' (as in 'Peterbilt'):

That is sweet. I love it!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

I would have thought Packard and Lincoln were the only flathead V12s ever made... but I've been wrong before. Maybe Continental? Or could it be truck-specific?

Here we used to have a very keen automotive fiddler named Eldred Norman. He saw that someone tied the cranks of two 4-cyl Essex engines together before WW2 to make a car to race on the beaches near Adelaide. So after the war, thoroughly involved in the 'disposals' business with Jeeps and Blitzes and the like, he put down a Dodge Weapons Carrier chassis and fitted two Ford V8s end to end, timed to fire as a 16.

Now, we all know that lightness is essential for road racing, and that was the purpose for which this car was built. Ford V8s in themselves weren't renowned for their lack of weight, so the wheels (still truck wheels) were drilled to get rid of some steel.

The weight was a demon for brakes, so Norman fitted a couple of electric fuel pumps and a water tank to pump water onto them. It would arrive at a corner with all the 12 stub exhausts crackling on the overrun and steam pouring from the front brake shoes.

As can be seen, various bodies were used. Even rear radiators.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

after consulting a friend who was with me the engines are most certainly seagraves. I did a little research (read that as googled) and as far as I can tell there are two (maybe more) different displacements. the "little" one is 462 cubic inches, and the big 906 cubic inches . Turns out they had nothing to do with marine applications they were produced by the pierce arrow corporation and used in fire trucks.

here is an excerpt from: http://www.pierce-arrow.org/history/hist7.php
"Pierce-Arrow also supplied 8 and 12 cylinder engines to the Seagrave Corporation for use in fire engines. These engines continued to be made even after Pierce-Arrow ceased operation in 1938. Seagrave continued to deliver fire apparatus with the "Pierce-Arrow" V-12 until 1970. "

I'm no longer totally convinced that the engines are flat-heads after having seen a cut away. I jumped to that conclusion when I saw the plugs going directly into the top of the head(2 plugs per cylinder, that's 48 plugs on this juggernaut ...and I whined about paying for 8 plugs)
Here is a link to the cut away:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/a...4&d=1255663521

this monster just gets more and more interesting I hope I can find the builder and chat with him.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:15 PM
More for Less Racer

Thats a strange looking valvetrain, with the valve laid on it's side like that. Looks like a roller cam follower/rocker arm pivoting on a shaft right above the cam. I don't think it would be called a flat head, but it isn't a side valve engine either - Wacky! Thing looks robust, probably run till the end of time at moderate rpm if maintained.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

You're right, definitely head in valve arrangement...

In a way, it's somewhat similar to the Oakland/Pontiac/Olds V8 engine of '29 or so, which did have the valves in the block but mounted horizontally.

A really strange setup, I wonder what it was like for efficiency?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:37 PM
WFO

Last photo:

A bit reminiscent of the Ducati desmodromic set-up, with an "underhead" cam.

We talk of 23 degree valve angles being a compromise- this engine has 90 degree intakes! IIRC, there was something peculiar w/the exhaust as well...
Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

The car sold for 3100...I don't know if that's a deal or not...but my brother didn't get it. The builder wasn't the one selling it. someone had "bought it to fix up" and just lost interest or ran out of money. sorry I didn't get anymore pictures....yet. The car was purchased by the owner of a restaurant about 20 minutes from my house so I can still get some more pictures of it. there were just too many people at the auction mobbing around it.

I did find out that the engines aren't coupled . Apparently they both run and can be coupled but they just aren't, I guess 12 cylinders were enough. We heard one run...doesn't sound too much different from a big V8.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.