Hunting for 062 Vortec heads... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 PM
"Permanately Banned"

Wiki Edits: 0

Hunting for 062 Vortec heads...

The local pick and pull sells iron heads without cams all day long for less than $90.00 a set. They are constantly replacing their stock with fresh vehicles. This place is like a play ground. I've never been dissapointed yet. Well my next mission is to obtain a set of 062 Vortec iron heads. I'm not sure what all models and years of cars/trucks that these came on.

Does anybody have a good resource to locate this information so that I know what I'm looking for the next time (Friday) that I go to the yard?

Thanks,
Roach

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

I believe 96-01 truck
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

Good luck. I've been seeing about 80 percent cracked..Last week every one I magged was broken..
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

A safe bet is any 5.7L (350ci, not the 5.0L/305) 96-98 C/K Truck, Suburban, Tahoe/Yukon, Escalade or Van. Basically all the full size vehicles. It gets a little iffy from 99-00, As I've heard of 1999 and 2000 MY trucks that are the 1988-98 Old Body Style.

I've never seen the title to one of these monsters in real life, so I'd hedge my bets on the 96-98. GM had already moved to the GM800 platform for MY 1999 and those trucks are distinctly different and have a completely different engine under the hood, although it still kept the "Vortec" moniker.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
Good luck. I've been seeing about 80 percent cracked..Last week every one I magged was broken..
If I was looking for Vortecs, I'd just buy a set of RHS heads.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7
If I was looking for Vortecs, I'd just buy a set of RHS heads.

X2^^ the aftermarket Vortecs are much better. Thick castings, better flow & cooling, already setup for more lift.>> http://www.competitionproducts.com/C...products/1262/
Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM

I have only found one set of vortecs at the junkyards and we go all the time and when I pulled them off one was cracked so good luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

I get non-cracked Vortecs off of craigslist for $100 or less for the set. I've had a few sets (just got rid of one and have another on the shelf right now). Most of the time its the 906 casting, which is the better casting anyway.

Some people try to sell them on there for outrageous prices like $250 a set... And as far as I know they are still trying to sell them...

I suggest trying places other than yards as most of the work is already done for you, and I wouldn't look to pay more than $150 for a set of any factory equipped sbc heads, they're simply not worth more than that when you can get a complete ready to bolt on set of heads from EQ, RHS, Dart, etc. for their relatively low prices.

I saw a bone stock LT1 listed for $2500 yesterday... And when you can buy a 6.0L for less than a grand why would anyone even bother listing it at that price?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
X2^^ the aftermarket Vortecs are much better. Thick castings, better flow & cooling, already setup for more lift.>> http://www.competitionproducts.com/C...products/1262/

X2-X2, once you get done with the machine work and parts cost involed in rebuilding these heads you will have only saved about 200.00 over what it would cost you to buy a set of RHS pro tokers, and trust me that extra 200.00 will be well spent considering i would put money on it that you would get 20hp/tq more out of them on the same engine. that's 1hp/tq for every 10.00 spent that is an incrediable ratio.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

I am not 100% sure but if you can actually look at the front of the head casting I think all 062's had 3 trinagle humps cast into them that look like saw teeth.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:47 AM
"Permanately Banned"

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolover
I get non-cracked Vortecs off of craigslist for $100 or less for the set. I've had a few sets (just got rid of one and have another on the shelf right now). Most of the time its the 906 casting, which is the better casting anyway.

Where did you get that information??

According to what I've researched about them...All the articles I've read have said to avoid the 906 castings... I've read that same info in several articles.

Here's an excerpt from Chevy High Performance

For you junkyard hunters, be forewarned that some - and 1-ton trucks came with Vortec heads equipped with a specially hardened exhaust seat that kills low- and mid-lift flow. Casting number 10239906 should be avoided. "

Regarding the possibility of going with a set of RHS heads. I know their better heads but the price is far more than the cost of a set of Heads from the yard. But I did look those over really really good. I'd love a set of those no doubt but the truth is that for my budget the Vortec heads from the yard will have to do if I want to be able to afford a cam and intake as well. My expendable income comes in lumps of $200-$300 at a time.

Roach

Roach
Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 AM
"Permanately Banned"

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
X2-X2, once you get done with the machine work and parts cost involed in rebuilding these heads you will have only saved about 200.00 over what it would cost you to buy a set of RHS pro tokers, and trust me that extra 200.00 will be well spent considering i would put money on it that you would get 20hp/tq more out of them on the same engine. that's 1hp/tq for every 10.00 spent that is an incrediable ratio.

Now that is a pretty convincing argument you have there.

The more I think about it the more I convince myself that the RHS heads are the way to go.

Roach

Last edited by roach4047; 08-12-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:50 AM
"Permanately Banned"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
I am not 100% sure but if you can actually look at the front of the head casting I think all 062's had 3 trinagle humps cast into them that look like saw teeth.

That's what I've read about them as well.

Roach
Old 08-12-2010, 02:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach4047
Where did you get that information??

According to what I've researched about them...All the articles I've read have said to avoid the 906 castings... I've read that same info in several articles.

Here's an excerpt from Chevy High Performance

[/U]For you junkyard hunters, be forewarned that some �- and 1-ton trucks came with Vortec heads equipped with a specially hardened exhaust seat that kills low- and mid-lift flow. Casting number 10239906 should be avoided. "[/I]
This Info has been disproved. There is a machined lip where the seat was installed that hurt flow in the throat, bowl area. The Exhaust seat is actually better and the lip can be smoothed out very easily. These Heads do come from harder working engines that may have a larger chance of being cracked.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
This Info has been disproved. There is a machined lip where the seat was installed that hurt flow in the throat, bowl area. The Exhaust seat is actually better and the lip can be smoothed out very easily. These Heads do come from harder working engines that may have a larger chance of being cracked.

I've only had one cracked set of Vortec heads- 062 castings actaully (my only 062 set), but I've only had about a half a dozen set of Vortecs so who knows...

They can be a great head, but as noted plan on dropping another $400 right off the bat for machine work- milling, valve job, rocker studs and guide plates. All of that is already done with a set of RHS heads.

I know I'll get flamed for this but it appears getting a bare set of ProComp heads may not be a bad option either.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.