hunting or non hunting gear ratio - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009, 10:23 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

hunting or non hunting gear ratio

I have a ford 9" with 3.70 gears I need to know if it is a non hunting gear set?
Took the pinion gear out to change the yoke without thinking to mark the gears.I can't see anything that looks like timing marks but don't know what I'm looking for. I know 3.00 and 4.00 are non hunting because they divide out to a finite number as opposed to say a 3.73 which divides out to 3.72727272 etc. Trying to get an answer without calling the manufacturer because you usually just get a catalog reader (someone with no expertize that just reads the catalog back to you) thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

the gears do not need to be timed if that is the question
Old 09-19-2009, 12:44 PM

Hi Crosley like the Morris.
Non hunting gear sets do have to be timed (Denver automotive and diesel collage class of 74") but that was 35 years ago and don't remember exactly how to figure that out. After writing the question the idea of the ratio being a whole number came to me. I was hoping someone could tell me a formula or rule of thumb for this.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Exhaust, Filler, and Trailer
Last photo:

Hunting gear sets are relatively prime. In other words, they have no factors in common.

A 3.60 gear set using a 10 tooth pinion and a 36 tooth ring gear would be non-hunting. They both have 2 as a factor in common.

A 3.70 set with a 10 tooth pinion and a 37 tooth ring would be hunting as there is no common factor between 10 and 37 (37 is prime all by itself, as a matter of fact).

Check the number of teeth on the pinion and the ring gear and see if they have at least one factor in common. If not, they are hunting and do not need to be timed.

I could be wrong, but I would think that a non-hunting r&p would be rare if not non-existent.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownblazer
Hi Crosley like the Morris.
Non hunting gear sets do have to be timed (Denver automotive and diesel collage class of 74") but that was 35 years ago and don't remember exactly how to figure that out. After writing the question the idea of the ratio being a whole number came to me. I was hoping someone could tell me a formula or rule of thumb for this.

sorry. I have never seen a set of gears in a 9 inch Ford that need to be timed.

mayb a diesel rig, not a Ford 9 inch. I've built many in 40 years.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:44 PM

Don't be sorry I'm happy you responded.
back in DADC School the lesson was about a ford 3.00to1 ratio (9"?I'm not sure)gear set. ring and pinions are lapped in with lapping compound on a machine that why you can't mix them.The pinion meshes with the same teeth every revolution in a non hunting ratio so it is important to time them so they mate with the teeth they were lapped in with. My instructor said fords were known for this. That's about all I remember from my year in trade school.
I guess am going to take the pig out spin the pinion and see if meshes with the same teeth every time.HOPE I'M NOT BEATING A DEAD HORSE just trying to save my self some work.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

You are beating a dead horse. Having replaced any number of 3.00 Ford gears, the new ones do not come marked for timing. Further, I have replaced many class 8 truck ring and pinions of various ratios, and never found one of them marked for timing either. I have also timed many 9,10, and 13 speed transmissions.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 AM

Thank you.
Why do they time transmissions?
Never got into the heavy truck part of the business.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:55 AM

Last photo:

The Pinion & Ring gears are lapped together but, all this means is you can't mix & match Pinion gears with other Ring gears from other sets.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Exhaust, Filler, and Trailer
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
The Pinion & Ring gears are lapped together but, all this means is you can't mix & match Pinion gears with other Ring gears from other sets.
When non-hunting gears are lapped, the same teeth contact every time. So using a 4.00:1 as an example, a given tooth on the pinion will contact the same 4 teeth on the ring gear every time. It will never contact any of the other teeth. On a hunting gear set, eventually that given tooth on the pinion will contact every tooth on the ring gear.
So, when you lap a hunting set, all the teeth on the pinion lap into all the teeth on the ring gear. But, when you lap a non-hunting gear set, you have only lapped the individual teeth on the pinion to certain teeth on the ring gear. If you then assemble it with a different timing, the teeth are not lapped to each other and you may get a howl and/or undesirable wear. It would be like using a hunting gear set made up of a pinion from one set and a ring gear from another.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownblazer
Thank you.
Why do they time transmissions?
Never got into the heavy truck part of the business.
Some truck transmissions use two, or even three countershafts to make them stronger. The countershafts have to be timed to each other to prevent them from binding as the assembly rotates.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
When non-hunting gears are lapped, the same teeth contact every time. So using a 4.00:1 as an example, a given tooth on the pinion will contact the same 4 teeth on the ring gear every time. It will never contact any of the other teeth. On a hunting gear set, eventually that given tooth on the pinion will contact every tooth on the ring gear.
So, when you lap a hunting set, all the teeth on the pinion lap into all the teeth on the ring gear. But, when you lap a non-hunting gear set, you have only lapped the individual teeth on the pinion to certain teeth on the ring gear. If you then assemble it with a different timing, the teeth are not lapped to each other and you may get a howl and/or undesirable wear. It would be like using a hunting gear set made up of a pinion from one set and a ring gear from another.
Thanks, Learn something everyday on here.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.