hurst competition shifter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

hurst competition shifter

I have a hurst shifter with the numbers 629670 removed from a 69 mach1 I had it rebuilt by hurst and then was told it was for a 55-57 chevy any way to confirm this? Is there a way to find out how to tell by the numbers which shifter belongs to which car?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Last photo:

If it is the Competion Plus shifter it will fit a number of cars you just use the proper mounting bracket and rods. The model I had was with a bolt on shifter handle which made it fit just about any car.

Vince
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPS senior View Post
I have a hurst shifter with the numbers 629670 removed from a 69 mach1 I had it rebuilt by hurst and then was told it was for a 55-57 chevy any way to confirm this? Is there a way to find out how to tell by the numbers which shifter belongs to which car?
The current Hurst Competition Plus p/n for the shoebox Chevy is 3913780. Current p/n for the Mach 1 is 3913180. If you hadn't been told by Hurst this was a '55-'57 Chevy shifter, I'd have suspected it was installed into something as original equipment.

You can call Hurst: For assistance selecting the correct part for your application, you may call our Sales Department at 707-544-4761 Option # 2.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM

hurst shifter

Thanks for the info cobalt327, will check with hurst tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

The 55-57 chevy specific bench seat shifter has a HUGE bullnose shape to get around the front of the seat. My ol' man has a 55 bench seat car (327 4spd). When he put the car together in '68, he used the generic 'fits all' Hurst Comp/Plus shifter with a straight stick and a short 90* bend at the top. His bench is shoved all the way back and the stick is pretty close to the front of the seat.

The original tri-five chevy specific shifter had the 'stick' WELDED on not bolted (at least the one I have is). The stick starts out parallel to the floor and sweeps out and up to clear the bottom of the seat, then it curves back to clear the top of the seat. Its BIG; I think something like 15" tall and 7" wide for a 'footprint'. Theres a Hurst bolt-on universal bench seat stick (I think the PN ends in 8620) that has a dogleg above the 2 mounting bolts
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 AM

hurst shifter

Thanks AutoGear for the info. My shifter does not have the shape you talk about. Looks like i was given the wrong info from Hurst. They went by the numbers i gave them on the shifter.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

now when you say shifter; there can't be that many different shifter 'boxes'. Im not talking complete assemblies, nor stick/ handles or 'installation kits' Just the 'box' or actual shifter part. I know that they used the same PN's in a lot of different applications (for example a Super T10 GM shifter will work on a 70-74 muncie and vice versa) Its the linkage and handle that may be required to be application specific

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.