HVLP air pressure set with trigger pulled? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

HVLP air pressure set with trigger pulled?

I see a lot of people saying that their purple gun works good around 40 psi, set at the gun regulator. Is this with the trigger pulled? I drop about 10 psi when I pull the trigger.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

Pulled.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

isn;t that number closer to 23? ...
(pulled full with fluid moving through)
Old 08-21-2009, 03:36 PM

@Milo, Not sure I get the question. It seems to drop roughly 10-12 psi when I squeeze the trigger. Do you mean it should be 23psi and not 40, or should drop from 40 to 23 when the trigger is engaged?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:39 PM

Adjust and set your pressure to around 23 psi with the trigger pulled. It don't really matter too much what the static pressure is.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Last photo:

In my experience 23lbs with trigger pulled is insufficient for proper atomization with the 43430 HVLP gun. I had best results setting the trigger pulled air pressure to 30-35psi for BC and 40-45psi for clear.

Vince
Old 08-22-2009, 09:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
In my experience 23lbs with trigger pulled is insufficient for proper atomization with the 43430 HVLP gun. I had best results setting the trigger pulled air pressure to 30-35psi for BC and 40-45psi for clear.

Vince

At least that psig figure!!!

And be prepared for overspray - which IMHO, is the single biggest downfall of this otherwise acceptable gun. Of course, overspray is wasted paint and at the price of today's paints, there are better choices for spray guns.

Primers - fine - they are still reasonably priced

(Sorry Vince - after using an Iwata........ but then I've voiced my opinion before )

Dave W
Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

no 2 of those guns are the same. i bought one just to see if it was ok for primer. mine was an absolute pos . it went in the dumpster. by the time i got enough air to it i was loosing 40% of product and could not see. an iwata will pay for its self in one job.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Last photo:

Alright folks, here we go again, trying to compare a HF purple gun to an Iwata . Can we please stop it? The guy was asking what air pressure to use with his gun, he was not asking which gun was better....geeeze.

Vince
Old 08-22-2009, 10:38 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

what i'm saying vince is some of them will not adjust. we worked with the one i bought and never did get it to spray right. it's a cheap gun will little to no qc so you dont know what to expect. an hvlp that needs 40 to 50 at the gun is just not going to do the job. you said yours worked ok. i'm saying mine was junk for what ever reason. with the price of clears alone it is a no win if most goes into the air. they are also notorious for solvent pop . and i dont think anyone is going to try to compare a 35 dollar hf gun to an iwata. but the iwata will give him a much better chance at success than the hf gun.
i mentioned the iwata because dave brought it ,up excuse me for having an opinion .
Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Last photo:

I value your opinion, I think you already know that, but look at the original post. He was asking what to set HIS gun at, he was not asking about the quality of it.

I'm finished
Vince
Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
what i'm saying vince is some of them will not adjust. we worked with the one i bought and never did get it to spray right. it's a cheap gun will little to no qc so you dont know what to expect. an hvlp that needs 40 to 50 at the gun is just not going to do the job. you said yours worked ok. i'm saying mine was junk for what ever reason. with the price of clears alone it is a no win if most goes into the air. they are also notorious for solvent pop . and i dont think anyone is going to try to compare a 35 dollar hf gun to an iwata. but the iwata will give him a much better chance at success than the hf gun.
i mentioned the iwata because dave brought it ,up excuse me for having an opinion .

Shine speaking of iwata....I wonder if the NEW iwata comming out will be any better than what we have now ??

52F1
Old 08-23-2009, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the responses. I sprayed some epoxy primer at around 32psi w/trigger pulled. The primer itself came out okay, although I did notice a few body problems afterward. I'll be putting on the paint on Monday (within my 3 day window).

As for the quality of the gun, you need to take into account that I don't know **** That being said, I think a better gun would be disappointed with my usage. Seriously though, if I think I'll be doing this more, a better gun would be a consideration. But I'm just doing a few panels right now.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.