HVLP sprayers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2002, 10:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post HVLP sprayers

I'm soon going to attempt painting my first car, from other posts i have read on this bulletin board a basecoat/clearcoat is the best way to go i'm in the process of putting my 36 ford street rod together primered only until i'm sure everything fits and i plan to drive it that way for a while, but before i put the body on the frame i would like to paint the firewall so that i won't have to pull the engine later i'm planning to buy just enough paint to do this and buy the rest later, i'm planning on using the 2002 corvette torch red, can you see any problems doing this? Also i want to buy a hvlp gun but I don't want to pay a small fortune for one I have seen some on e-bay in the $100 range also Harbor Freight has them, since i don't plan to make a profession of painting are these guns good enough for the occasional painter will they do the job or sould i invest more dollars? Is there a brand i sould stay away from? Thank in advance Ron.............

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2002, 11:04 AM

B/C C/C is the best way to go. There is no problem in doing it that way plus it beats disassembling the car again for the firewall.
As for the gun, a gravity feed (cup on top)is the best way to go for buying a gun. I don't think that you need an HVLP gun but that may determine where you live,local laws of the state, and preference of the user. SATA makes fantastic spray guns, I've bought about 5 in the past few years for my class and I like the SATA #9332-1 with a 1.4mm tip. The students do a pretty good job with these spray guns not being professionals. The last one I bought was $269.00 I know that is alot of money but you won't need to but another for awhile. Probrably can get it cheaper if you look around.
also this gun sprays base and clear great.
And the old saying is you get what you pay for!

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: tlambert ]</p>
Old 10-30-2002, 11:13 AM

Oh by the way that is a beautiful color. I've seen it on a street rod and it looks great. I may be a little partial to that color, I have an S-15 that is painted that color. I had a friend call it my plug-in truck, it looked like it was glowing!
Old 10-30-2002, 11:29 AM

Ya' i really like this color red, for some reason i just think coupes don't look good any other color, my wife was trying to get me to go with a purple or green yuck not on my coupe by the way thanks for the info. Ron.......
Old 10-30-2002, 11:50 AM

red is an easy sale for the car. Special colors tend to personalize it and might be hard to sale.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:58 AM

One other question about the hvlp how do you know which spray nozzle to use on these guns or whats the criteria? Ron.....
Old 10-30-2002, 12:12 PM

The fluid tip that you will need is determined by the type of products you are going to spray. The paint companies for example, Dupont, PPG have product sheets that will state the fluid tip size for the product being sprayed. Some even list the name brand of gun, type such as gravity feed, siphon feed or HVLP along with the recommended set up for the gun. Like air pressures. In other words, gun set-up. Try these sites.
www.sherwin-automotive.com
Time to go home computor is slow at home I will check back later.

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: tlambert ]</p>
Old 10-30-2002, 01:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I have one of the Harbor Freight 2 qt HVLP pressure pot with remote spray head and it works great. Have sprayed several cars with it and love it. Teh Willys in my AVATAR was painted with it. I like the pressure pot type w/ remote head 'cause it can be held in any position to spray and won't spill or starve.

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 10-30-2002, 01:42 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Harbour Frieght is the *****, I just wish there was one close to home.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:10 PM

Harbor Frieght does have alot of cheap did I say that out loud! I meant cool stuff!
Old 10-30-2002, 02:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Mail order from Harbor Freight is the same as store bought - free shipping! Yes some of their stuff is garbage, like their hack saw blades. Teeth peel off in first stroke. However, their hand tools are fine for a hobbiest and I have never had a problem with getting a replacement if one breaks. Compare that to Sears who ALWAYS hassle me when I take back a broken Craftsman 'lifetime guaranteed' tool for replacement. I get their 4" grinders for $14 on sale (maikita is over $100) and of the 4 I have now (all with diffeent heads) that have been abused greatly I have had lo problems. I figure I could break 5 and still be ahead of one of the name brands but I haven't broken any yet! I love their air tools. I have had a set of HF sanders, impact wrenches, grinders, etc. for neaarly two decades of abusive use (RARELY if ever oil them)and have yet to have a problem. Can you tell I LOVE Harbor Freight?
Old 10-30-2002, 04:04 PM

Willys36 I understand what you mean about buying cheaper tools but with refinish supplies costing so much why use a cheaper quality spray gun that may not spray the material as well.
I love tools from anywhere...well almost anywhere! I guess I feel that way because I had to rely on making my weekly paycheck with quality tools. I do understand about saving some money, I just hate doing things twice, I guess thats from working on commission.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:17 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

hes right, u dont wanna cheap out on spray guns ever, unless ure working in maaco painting lol, but for painting ur own street/hot rod buy good stuff, will pay dividens in quality finish u get
Old 10-30-2002, 10:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I should own stock in Harbor freight, if I had to spend the big bucks on the tools I use occasionally I'd be broke and wouldn't have any money for the parts I need. hobbyist tools, yes, but why spend the money if you're not going to use it a lot. rdzat, don't forget to trim your jambs, trunk, inner fenders now, it will save a lot of cleanup time later. Dan
Old 10-31-2002, 06:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by tlambert:
<strong>Willys36 I understand what you mean about buying cheaper tools but with refinish supplies costing so much why use a cheaper quality spray gun that may not spray the material as well.
I love tools from anywhere...well almost anywhere! I guess I feel that way because I had to rely on making my weekly paycheck with quality tools. I do understand about saving some money, I just hate doing things twice, I guess thats from working on commission. </strong><hr></blockquote>

You are right, quality tools are the way to go. Actually, many Harbor Freight tools are very good quality. I see contractors in there all the time buying tools for the job. For example I once bought a Maikita die grinder and used it for about 1/2hr with a 1/2" carbide bit opening holes in a sheet metal firewall I was building before it burned up. Maikita said I must have abused it so they wouldn't stand behind it. I bought another assuming they were right and treated it very gently. It lasted about 3/4hr B4 burning to a crisp. Same story from the company. That was a $200 lesson. I have had my Harbor Freigt grinder for 4 years and treat it like a red headed step child and it keeps going round and round. And if it ever does crap out I could take it back for exchange, no questions asked. I won't do that 'cause when it does go it will be my fault!

As far as painting goes, I have never used a 'good' gun so I don't have anything to compare my cheapie to. The half dozen cars I have painted seem to have come out ok - haven't had to redo any of them and they are real purty! My paint jobs are probably early Macco in quality but for my purpose and skill level, I am very pleased with the HF equipment. Granted, if I was making my living with the spray gun I would have the very best. Further if I was wasting ANY $100/gallon paint I would dump this equipment in a New York minute.

In summary, Harbor Freight has made available a complete garage full of wonderful tools that I as a hobbiest would otherwise never have access to.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.