Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hyd clutch for early hemi
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrodder
Waltmail is right. You have to pull the trans to replace any t/o bearing. Centerline's installation is clean but is the '61 pickup m/c a dual reservoir on the brake side? Something to consider.
True. Mine uses a dual (single pot) master cylinder... but it is period correct for my build. However, the same system can easily be set up using a dual brake master cylinder for the brakes and a separate single master cylinder for the clutch. The clutch slave cylinder just needs to be sized according to the master cylinder that is chosen. There are also slave cylinders that pull rather than push and can be mounted behind the clutch fork and pull it open if more room is needed.

It is also true the trans needs to be removed to replace a throwout bearing. But, and its a big but... Hydraulic throwout bearings have more failure modes than a typical "old fashioned" unit and if you do the math, have at least a 50% higher chance of failure.

All that said, use what suits your needs and what you feel comfortable with.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." - Albert Einstein