Hyd. Roller lifters problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hyd. Roller lifters problems

Hey guys, sorry for the long read, seems like my questions always are.

I'm having more issues with my valvetrain on the camaro (SBC 406, hyd. roller). Back when I built this motor I had trouble adjusting the preload on the lifters. I didn't really understand why, but my buddy helped me adjust them with the engine running and all seemed well for the moment.

Fast forward to now, and I have been hearing a funny valvetrain "noise" at 6500 RPM and up. Thought it was valve float, so changed to the proper dual springs (that's another story).

Upon putting valvetrain back together, I again have the issue with adjusting the preload on the lifters. If I set at 0 lash plus 1/4 turn, four of the 16 lifters will not pump any oil, and will be making noise, the fix being to tighten them up several turns to get the plunger in the right dimension.

Here's where it gets weird. If I set 1 of the lifters in question next to one that is "good", you can see the difference in the angle between the two rockers (like the pushrod is .200" longer or something). It's a large difference. I don't know what could cause that to be wrong. I've made sure the pushrods are seated, same length, etc. It's just 4 lifters out of the 16 that do this (and it seems to be the same ones all the time). To set these lifters I have to just "guess" how far to tighten them, cause the 0 lash + 1/4 turn doesn't work.

Cyl. # 7 (which has one of the problem lifters, exhaust side) was making a lot of noise from one lifter (and not pumping any oil through the pushrod either), so I put my windowed valve cover on and adjusted it with it running, and the oil starts to flow as the clacking goes away. Now I notice the motor is running like crap, and when I crank it to start, it sounds like there's a bad cyl. in the motor.

So I get curious and do a compression check, and sure enough #7 has no compression. So I loosen the rocker just a little and the compression comes back, a little looser and it starts clacking again. It acts like a solid lifter. I don't get it.

What is with these lifters? I don't know if I need to replace or what? Lifters are Comp Magnum roller retros.

The motor has 3K miles on it with no problems to speak of (other than devil lifters).

ANyone have any insight on this? I could really use some help, all my car buddies tell me to throw the hyd. roller out and get a solid roller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

I would 1st pull the oil filter and cut it open to look for any signs of "too much metal". 2nd... I would pull the intake to inspect the lifters.

The last part of your post almost sounds like you lost a roller on a lifter.
I would NOT run it any more until you do some looking under the intake.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbowtie
I would 1st pull the oil filter and cut it open to look for any signs of "too much metal". 2nd... I would pull the intake to inspect the lifters.

The last part of your post almost sounds like you lost a roller on a lifter.
I would NOT run it any more until you do some looking under the intake.
Fair enough. I will jerk the intake and oil filter off tonight.

I have seen more metal than I would think is cool on my magnetic drain plug. Just a little ball of metal on the tip, not a lot, but more than I thought would be.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You also mention, if I'm reading it correctly, the rocker arm angle is different. I'll assume that both lifters are on the bottom of the ramp but the rockers look like they are sitting different? Almost leads me to think the lifters are different lengths or as stated, a roller is going down. (somewhat un-likely, but possible.)

Some metal on the plug is normal after breakin. Not big chunks, but there will be fine stuff making it's way out of the nooks and cranies (what are nooks and cranies anyway?) and always some off the cylinders/rings.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
You also mention, if I'm reading it correctly, the rocker arm angle is different. I'll assume that both lifters are on the bottom of the ramp but the rockers look like they are sitting different? Almost leads me to think the lifters are different lengths or as stated, a roller is going down. (somewhat un-likely, but possible.) .
Yes, both lifters on the base.

But the lifters in question are higher than the others (at the pushrod end). If the roller is having a problem, wouldn't that make it go lower (like a shorter pushrod)?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

You said "6500 RPM and up". Just wondering how high "up" was?? and how high you think your motor should be able to go??
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldbuick
You said "6500 RPM and up". Just wondering how high "up" was?? and how high you think your motor should be able to go??
Hehe, I was thinking the same thing. 6500rpm and up you hear all kinds of noises .

Vince
Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodf1
Fast forward to now, and I have been hearing a funny valvetrain "noise" at 6500 RPM and up. Thought it was valve float, so changed to the proper dual springs (that's another story).

That right there also makes the think that it could be a roller issue. If you had incorrect springs on the heads and tried to spin it up tight, that lifter is using the lobe of the cam as a ramp if you will. It then slams back down on the base circle of the cam. It can beat the needles out of the rollers in a hurry. I know from experience with a solid roller. :-)

I could be way off on the needle bearings getting eat up but... it nevers hurts to check things out. It only cost the price of an oil change, intake gaskets and your time.

edit and you are correct... its makes no sense that the ones in question seem longer????

Last edited by bigbadbowtie; 08-28-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldbuick
well, the cam should pull to at least 7000 rpm. I have actually shifted at 7400 before (had a helmet on at the track, didn't hear the noise i guess), and the car seemed to pull very well, i didn't notice a severe drop in power like i would think you'd get with valve float?!?!

Crane states that valve float should not occur until 7500 RPM, but thats with their lifters, which I don't have. Wouldn't think it would be that different, but hey.

I have big heads on this motor (bigger than I should), so turning it up is "good for it!"
Old 08-28-2007, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
That right there also makes the think that it could be a roller issue. If you had incorrect springs on the heads and tried to spin it up tight, that lifter is using the lobe of the cam as a ramp if you will. It then slams back down on the base circle of the cam. It can beat the needles out of the rollers in a hurry. I know from experience with a solid roller. :-)

I could be way off on the needle bearings getting eat up but... it nevers hurts to check things out. It only cost the price of an oil change, intake gaskets and your time.

edit and you are correct... its makes no sense that the ones in question seem longer????
Indeed. I am shrugging my shoulders at this one. I am not real experienced, but this is not making any sense. Maybe when I pull the intake it will make sense.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

Im hoping some of the engine gooroo regulars will chime in as well.

7000 is WAY up there for any hydraulic roller.

Last edited by bigbadbowtie; 08-28-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

aw great. that's what I'm hearing from my racer buddies, too.

"but it works so great in the magazines and get you 50 HP!!"
Old 08-28-2007, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

But not for a solid roller!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippinRon
But not for a solid roller!
True.....BUT he is running a hydraulic roller.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

Oh Boy

I got everything taken apart yesterday.

Wanted to post some pics to see what you guys think.

THe first thing that happened was when I pulled the distributor out and noticed that some of the teeth were chewed up pretty bad. Only about half the teeth were this way See pic. below.

Any thoughts on what caused this? It seems to have happened recently. I did have the screws that hold the rotor on come loose at about 6500 RPM and the car quit running (actually this happened twice, even with lock tight). Could this have bent the dist. shaft slightly?

I have also included some pics of the cam teeth as well. Is this cam beyond using? The cam had a pressed on gear, maybe Crane would press a new gear for a small fee??

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

I have pics of the lifters, too. Will post them in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	distrib teeth1_1.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	24078   Click image for larger version

Name:	distrib teeth_1.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	24079   Click image for larger version

Name:	cam gear 1_1.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	24080   Click image for larger version

Name:	cam gear 2_1.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	24081  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.