Hot Rod Forum banner

Hydraulic Brake light switch questions....

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Joe G 
#1 ·
I recently changed master cylinder when I did a 4 speed conversion. The car has a hydraulic in-line brake switch mounted in the left front brake tube between the master cylinder and the caliper. It does work, but seems like I have to push brake pedal down quite a ways before tailights come on.
1) is this switch adjustable?
2) are their different "ratings, or different settings" switches?
3) should I convert to some sort of electric switch?

I want the lights to come on as soon as I hit the pedal....
Thanks in advance.....:thumbup:

#9 ·
hydraulic in-line brake switches do not last .
I've seen this statement a few times, but always wondered how Ford successfully used them for decades with very few failures? Are the new switches junk, compared to what Ford used?
I just tossed an old Ford pressure switch away that was on my '63 Falcon, and it appeared original; still working. I replaced it when I swapped the old single bowl master with a dual bowl Mustang master. I also installed a new hydraulic switch, so I hope it keeps working.
I don't see any hesitation or delay with brake pedal pressure and brake lights coming on. I wonder if installing a pressure switch farther from the master could somehow be the source of needing more pedal pressure to bring the lights on?

#10 ·
well in all fairness most things built in the day were made to last. today it is throw away 1 or 2 years. had a perfectly good stove was in the house when i bought it and it was most likely 20 years old. well redid the kitchen so out it went. new one in place one burner out in the first 2 years. that old stove is still in use, i bake my small powder coated parts in it.

ok back to the hydraulic switch they leak internal , port can get clogged and restricting flow, if mounted wrong like vertically or upside down it can hold air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.