Hot Rod Forum banner

Hydraulic clutch

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  PHWOARchild 
#1 ·
I have a 1969 GMC pick up. I am looking to do a conversion from manual to hydraulic clutch.
I have been looking on line, and no one appears to make a kit for a c-10 pick up.
Can anyone get me steered in the best direction to go. I am looking for one that uses a slave cylinder for the clutch arm. I really don't want to pull my tranny if I don't have too.
Your advice as always is appreciated.
Ty948

#2 ·
Why not pull the tranny and use a hydraulic throwout bearing instead of the lever and slave cylinder?
It doesn't take much to pull a transmission and get the fork and throwout bearing out of the way.

No brackets to modify or fabricate and it is out of the way of road hazards and dirt. What's not to like?

#10 ·
I have done it both ways. I still prefer external to see whats going on. I have dunked external in mud and water countless times. I can account they work just as good as internal while not needing to pull the transmission when they do go out.
Whats not to like with internal is when a seal goes out any you need to replace the clutch along with the slave cause it has coated the input and clutch with fluid.

I say go factory. It eliminates all the fun of adjusting things that you get with custom parts.
You can easily find someone parting out a 80/90's truck with a hydraulic clutch get the bell, pedals, external slave, master, everything all in one stop.

Using factory parts lets you have easy replacement. Go to the parts store with the old part and come out with the new part:). Much better then finding out that the aftermarket manufacture no longer makes the part your need any more or finding whats in the box is not whats on the bench:(.

Do a google search and you will find walk troughs of people that have done the factory upgrade to hydraulic.

#12 ·
Yesterday after thinking about what you suggested, I went to rock auto and ordered the master and slave for a 1990 Chevrolet truck. They were only 20 some dollars each. rebuild kits were about half that. I may need to go to the junk yard and find other parts needed, but a lot less expensive. I will keep you posted on what develops.
Ty948

#14 ·
I have a 1969 GMC pick up. I am looking to do a conversion from manual to hydraulic clutch.
I have been looking on line, and no one appears to make a kit for a c-10 pick up.
Chevy does. The factory used hydraulic clutches from the mid-1980s. You need the bellhousing as well as the slave cylinder. Of course, you also need the master cylinder and hose. Note that the bellhousing has an ear for mounting the slave cylinder. There are aftermarket brackets available to do this on a different bellhousing.

#17 ·
Hi all,
I'm beck, Since I was last on, I have had a massive stroke. With the lords help, I am just about back. It was one of the rear arteries in the back of my head.
I was working on the truck, and when I went to get up off the creeper, everything went dark. Wife found me and took me to the hospital, and had to put several stitches on my head from the fall. don't remember any of that.
Still seeing ok, but not good enough to drive. but I am still here. praise the lord. was in the hospital for 4 days running test.
Anyway, I have got the hydraulic release bearing installed. Photo's attached. It even works. Got master cylinder, release bearing and lines from Rockauto. Cost $100.00. Had to drill hole in clutch petal for mounting master cylinder. Male san arm for attaching the slave cylinder.
Be sure to bleed everything before final instillation. impossible to get all the air out on the system.
Your Prayers will be appreciated.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.