Hydraulic Clutch reservoir - remote or not remote if possible? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hydraulic Clutch reservoir - remote or not remote if possible?

First Off I am new here and thanks for letting me join!

I have got an interesting question about a hydraulic clutch master cylinder and reservoir.

I am installing a Tremec 5 speed in my 39 Ford Coupe. The install is almost complete and I have come across and interesting situation. I chose to go with a hydraulic clutch set up to avoid the mechanical linkage mess that would clutter an already clutter underside. The Tremec is a beautiful piece and installed with little problems. I posted this same question in a response about a 5 speed install, but I would like to post this new thread.

Here is my question: While using the hydraulic master cylinder, which is mounted right next to my brake master cylinder under the floor. Can I avoid using a remote reservoir by installing a residual pressure valve? The brakes have a 2 psi residual pressure valve for the front discs and a 10 psi residual pressure valve for the rear drum brakes. The residual pressure valves are installed because the brake master is mounted lower than the brakes themselves. This is a pretty common install, but could this idea be applied to the hydraulic clutch? This way I could avoid mounting a remote reservoir on the firewall and try to keep the "old school" look.

Any thoughts on this idea? I have contacted a few vendors and they never heard of anyone doing it. I find it hard to believe that I am the first guy to think of this.

Please feel free to give your ideas! I can simply do the remote thing, but I would prefer not.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 09:15 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Can you mount the remote under the dash with a mount that will let you slide it up to holes large enough for the bolt heads to fit through, & a short length of plastic tubing in order to remove & fill it?
Rich
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Hi Rich,

Sure I could do that. I'm not against mounting a remote reservoir. I have a found some that look nice and would be just fine. I just thought that if I can not remote it and install a 2 psi residual pressure valve this would be a nice clean install.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

It sounds like you want to put the valve in the supply line between the master and reservoir. Not a good idea.
The master cylinder, (clutch or brake) needs to have an unobstructed gravity feed from the reservoir. The 2# valve would not allow the fluid to fill the master correctly. That is if the valve worked correctly, which they rarely do. I test the ones I put in customers cars, and I can tell you that (1), they almost never hold their rated pressure, (2) if they do hold their rated pressure, it's not for very long, so your fluid would eventually seep back into the reservoir.

If you are thinking of putting the valve in the line between the master and slave cylinders, don't do that either, it's not necessary. You'll wind up with the release bearing riding on the clutch fingers, and it'll wear out in a short time.

If you have the room for a hydraulic clutch master under the floor, then you have the room for one with an integral reservoir..Tilton and Wilwood make them, as well as several others..Filling it is easy, use a feeding syringe (get them at a good feed store), with a piece of vinyl tube on the end..I keep one of those in my brake tools kit, for filling brake master cylinders in tight places.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Filling it is easy, use a feeding syringe (get them at a good feed store), with a piece of vinyl tube on the end..I keep one of those in my brake tools kit, for filling brake master cylinders in tight places.

Later, mikey
Where ya been, Mikey? Long time no see...

If you are looking for a syringe for filling, Walmart sells a syringe used to measure 2-stroke oil that works well, also. I don't know how the price of it (~$5) compares to a feeding syringe, but it's an option for y'all 'city folk'.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I been in stealth mode...hahahah

later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 AM

Last photo:

Hello,

I guess I need to be more clear.

I have a Wilwood clutch master cylinder with an integral reservoir. My idea was to install a 2 psi residual pressure valve between the clutch master/reservoir unit and the hydraulic throwout bearing because this unit is mounted under the floor and LOWER than the hydraulic throw out bearing. There is no slave cylinder in this application.

The picture is of a unit just like mine. It has the clutch master and reservoir installed as one unit. I find it hard to believe that I am the only guy that has tried to install the unit as is and not modified it with a remote reservoir for the clutch.

I guess what you are saying is that the 2 psi will cause the bearing to have constant contact with the pressure plate. I understand that would likely happen. If that is the case why isn't this a problem with the brakes? Wouldn't you have the brakes constantly dragging on the rotor/drums?

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I

Last edited by ClassicDriver; 03-09-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: add a picture

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.