Hydraulic flat Tappets, roller or Mechanical flat tappets? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 02:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hydraulic flat Tappets, roller or Mechanical flat tappets?

Went to Summit to buy Cam and lifter kit for 1974 Chev 454 Truck engine, oval port. The search wanted to know if it was Hydraulic flat tappet, hydraulic roller tappet, mechanical flat or mechanical roller. How do I know? I know some about engines but I forgot what tappet is? thought that was an old old word. We used to talk about tappet noise. Is this a word for lifter, rockers ???? Anyway main question is what type "tappet" engine do I have. Just want to buy stock/street stuff. (cam and lifters), can't stop noisy lifters. I assume I have hydraulic lifters so that narrows it down to two of the choices. this is a stock engine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 03:46 AM

Last photo:

Hydraulic flat Tappets,roller or Mechanical flat tappets?

Your 1974 BBC will have hydraulic lifters,or "tappets",which is,as far as I know,is the correct term for lifters.
You may want to do some research into cam lobe failure and take all necessary precautions to avoid losing a cam lobe.Also,make sure to use matching valve springs,this is very important.Consult the manufacturer/dealer.
Guy
Old 04-01-2008, 04:44 AM

Last photo:

Hydraulic flat tappet would be your pic if you want hydraulic cam an lifters.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

Question is: What type of engine do I have? 1974 454 truck. read the orig post question.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Quote:
Question is: What type of engine do I have? 1974 454 truck. read the orig post question
Well, your engine is a big block Chevrolet, at 454 cubic inches. You can buy stock/street type stuff that fits the description of all of those cams, depending on what you deem stock/street stuff. There are many who run solid rollers on their street cars, same goes for hydraulic rollers, and hydraulic flat tappets. Me, I like a mechanical flat for my street/stock stuff.

As to your original post questions;

"How do I know?"
The easiest way would be to look at the lifter. Then you will make no mistake. Hopefully, your cam is not going, or has gone flat, and you are still using it. If so, chances are you have all sorts of debris in your motor - just a thought.
"I know some about engines but I forgot what tappet is?"
In your case it is the lifter.
"Is this a word for lifter, rockers ????"
See above.
"Anyway main question is what type "tappet" engine do I have."
You have a hydraulic flat tappet.

Quote:
Went to Summit to buy Cam and lifter kit for 1974 Chev 454 Truck engine, oval port. The search wanted to know if it was Hydraulic flat tappet, hydraulic roller tappet, mechanical flat or mechanical roller. How do I know? I know some about engines but I forgot what tappet is? thought that was an old old word. We used to talk about tappet noise. Is this a word for lifter, rockers ???? Anyway main question is what type "tappet" engine do I have. Just want to buy stock/street stuff. (cam and lifters), can't stop noisy lifters. I assume I have hydraulic lifters so that narrows it down to two of the choices. this is a stock engine.

Quote:
You may want to do some research into cam lobe failure and take all necessary precautions to avoid losing a cam lobe. Also, make sure to use matching valve springs,this is very important.Consult the manufacturer/dealer.
^^^
Old 04-09-2008, 12:03 AM

Last photo:

thanks for the replys. Understand I have that I have hydraulic Flat tappet. That's what I wanted to know. If I open it up I wouldn't know. I have lifter noise that can't be adjusted out or "miracle oiled "and am between replacing one or two lifters or new cam, lifters, and maybe push rods as necessary. It runs real good but can't stand that noise. Hoping I can identify the problem when opened up. Lifter replace is easier that cam and all. Don't ever run an engine you buy with just headers, you will never hear bad lifters until you put it in and get quiet mufflers. Sorry me. "Stupid is as stupid does."
F. Gump.

Last edited by bartamos; 04-09-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If the lifter faces are worn, the cam lobes will be worn also.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

never run new flat tappets on an old cam- or vice versa... unless you like replacing them every 20 miles or so.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.