hydraulic lifters to be adjusted on 351w with weiand 6/71 blower - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hydraulic lifters to be adjusted on 351w with weiand 6/71 blower

hi all . thought I would start a new thread on this as I asked the question on my older one but its got a bit big now .

so the story to now. had oil in plugs 5 and 6 last weekend. worked out it was poor gasket seal between inlet and head and seems on the suck stroke 5 and 6 where pulling oil in . looked at valve guide oil seals, and look fine, heads are brand new. car has done 3 miles with nominal idle time, comp test showed all 6 pistons to be 127 but 5 and 6 @ 100 , so as I want to dyno my engine I have bit the bullet and pulled it out to check this issue and then send the engine to dyno for full set up and break in etc. am happier this way , as also had water in oil which was from front part of inlet to head gasket seal , have took advise on previous thread from mr "tech " and will buy 2x sets of gaskets and will torque and leave over night and double check good seal . any other suggestion let me know ??? felpro head gaskets look 100%

ok so I have hydraulic lifters with crower roller rockers ( stainless steel ) there is a guy here that I am hoping to take the engine to who says why use hydraulic lifters as your guessing ? he suggested solid lifters . I have a crane supercharger grind cam , part number I have is c-444551 I also think there is a adjustment problem as I have black stains within the inlet manifold , I was running rich so not sure if that would cause it aswell ?

so if ok to use hydraulic lifters what is the best way to adjust and tighten and do I then double check when oil pressure has been ? may be far off the mark here

we ordered a adjustable push rod to measure then ordered 16 @ 8.100 which are pro series 5/16

will also double check my keith black hyper ring gaps again .

lastly I have heard about MLS head gaskets . whats the feelings on boost pressure up to 10psi with head gaskets of felpro or MLS ?? as I need to order some up asap

cheers all !!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

crower adjustable rockers are part number CR73609

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/crowe...r-rockers.html
Old 05-28-2013, 02:35 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

How many miles are on the short block? You may just not have ring seal, cylinder wash out from runing rich will not help that but the best you can do at this point IMO is to get the carb and timing tuned right then run it for a while, and not idleing but really running, highway or whatever. It can take a while for them to seat.

If you're going to change your lifters you should be pulling your cam too.

It sounds like you may have a history of assembly errors... not a good thing.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

cam is

CRANE CAMS Crane PowerMax Camshafts - 444551
Old 05-28-2013, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

hi ap 72

agreed . and the reason I am taking this weekend to double check everything. I do think it could also be the rings so will check. but I did want to machine something so just bit the bullet to be honest. will double check every thing. I have heard these inlet manifolds can be slightly off and cause seal issues ? I have a offenhauser 6150 equaflow inlet manifold .

do you have experience with adjusting the rockers for correct valve lash and valves settings ?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

inlet manifold

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-6150
Old 05-28-2013, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

oh , no miles on this . have done probably 2 miles of very low revs with just idle time . was very rich when first started ages ago. bad timing and set up . finally I get it idling right with good colour plugs and then this . I think its a series of events from previous that may have caused this but also a poor seal between inlet and head gasket. when I took the gasket off the head/inlet manifold there was blue gasket glue all the way along but hardly showing at the front part of the head at the water way and inlet of chamber 5 . take your point on rings as 6 is showing same comp as 5
Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Sounds like a basket case. Starting over like you're proposing may be the best route to go at this point.

Be aware though, its not uncommon for rings to take over 1,000 miles to seat, its unlikely they're seated already unless the bore finish was perfect and your tune was perfect.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I don't hear anything about how you plan on correcting the problem of the intake manifold sittin askew on the heads and the heads sitting askew on the block and the block possibly being askew in the first place. If it were mine, I'd completely disassemble it down to the bare block and haul the block over to the machine shop to determine the actual block deck height on all four corners, based off having a true and parallel main bearing bore to measure from. Here's a tutorial to help you determine block deck height at home after removal of the crank and using a 12" dial caliper.....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_deck_height
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
mustang 671 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I don't hear anything about how you plan on correcting the problem of the intake manifold sittin askew on the heads and the heads sitting askew on the block and the block possibly being askew in the first place. If it were mine, I'd completely disassemble it down to the bare block and haul the block over to the machine shop to determine the actual block deck height on all four corners, based off having a true and parallel main bearing bore to measure from. Here's a tutorial to help you determine block deck height at home after removal of the crank and using a 12" dial caliper.....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_deck_height
thanks tech . that's great . I am very lucky as a good friend of mine has a cnc mill with x y z axis so im able to get anything machined that he can bolt down parallel to the mill . what is the deck height for 351w or is It a case of a unknown until you measure ? will find out on the 12" calliper as my mate is a engineer . im positive the block is fine . im nearly 100% sure its the inlet manifold as I have had some work done to it and also some heat put through it and the gasket shows a fault around where the problem was . heads are brand new , bores where re-bored + 30 thou . head gaskets showed no issues . expect to be rings not bedded 100% on 5 and 6 and problem with inlet gasket to head . am stripping it down sunday . any tips and things to look for ?

thanks again
Old 06-05-2013, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang 671 View Post
thanks tech . that's great . I am very lucky as a good friend of mine has a cnc mill with x y z axis so im able to get anything machined that he can bolt down parallel to the mill . what is the deck height for 351w or is It a case of a unknown until you measure ? will find out on the 12" calliper as my mate is a engineer . im positive the block is fine . im nearly 100% sure its the inlet manifold as I have had some work done to it and also some heat put through it and the gasket shows a fault around where the problem was . heads are brand new , bores where re-bored + 30 thou . head gaskets showed no issues . expect to be rings not bedded 100% on 5 and 6 and problem with inlet gasket to head . am stripping it down sunday . any tips and things to look for ?

thanks again
hi all . am working on my engine this weekend. any ideas on adjustment and correct setting for my adjustable roller rockers ?

also is my set up ok with hydraulic lifters ?

thanks shaun

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.