Hydro-boost system for '65 Falcon - anyone done this? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Gearhead

Wiki Edits: 0

Hydro-boost system for '65 Falcon - anyone done this?

Hey guys, I am analyzing the possibility of adding a hydro-boost system for my friend's 1965 Ford Falcon. His car was originally a 6cyl car and he has since built and installed a 289cu motor. He has retained the stock 4lug drum brakes. The car does not have power steering and does not have power brakes. The car currently uses the stock "fruit jar" style master cylinder.

My question, has anyone installed a hydro boost system on one of these cars and what did you do to install it? What was your donor vehicle, what tricks needed to be done to work it out, etc? What diameter bore master cylinder would you use for a stock 4 wheel drum brake set-up on a vehicle such as a 1965 Falcon keeping in mind the drum brakes? Should the wheel cylinders be changed out to a different bore diameter or not? I suppose this would depend on the diameter of the bore of the master cylinder chosen for this application. Also, what did you use for a pump and what brackets are needed to attach it to the motor. Keep in mind this car does not have power steering nor will it have once this swap is completed. The under hood area of this vehicle is very clean and uncluttered, that is the reason for wanting the information on the hydro boost upgrade. The reason for keeping the 4 lug wheels and the drum brakes is that everything is totally rebuilt and he really likes the wheels with their wire wheel covers and spinners.

I believe if done correctly it should give the car better stopping ability against the stout 289cu as well as give the guys at the local car cruises one more thing to scratch their heads at.

Thanks for all of your input and responses in advance.

P.S. here is a look at the car - http://www.geocities.com/elcamino_1972/falcon.html

Bryan Shook

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Will this be the same hydro-boost system as found in a diesel truck? And will power steering be added?
I have no idea if anyone has ever tried to swap this system into anything that never had anything like it as an option.
[color=yellow]But hey- why not?[/color]
As far as the rest of the system with the cylinder bores, and master cylinder, I cannot help there either, but I will recommend the dual curcuit master cylinder either way.
Keep us posted if this idea becomes more than just an idea.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Gearhead

Yes, a hydro boost like that came stock on diesel pick ups as well as even some passenger cars in the 70's and 80's is what I have in mind. No, power steering will not be added to the vehicle. Yes, I would also say a dual circuit master cylinder, but I'm not sure of the bore diameter.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Without the power steering added in you can get away with a smaller pump to do the same job (easier to swap into the car).
Unless someone else posts a contradiction to my answer your bore diameter shouldn't be of any worry.
You said this car was going to retain the 4 wheel drum brakes, and it worked well enough with the factory combination, adding in a more effecient master cylinder and booster will only enhance performance in the rest of the braking system.
I have a hydroboost unit in my Suburban and one laying in the shop from a 1979 Cadillac if you need measurements.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

I would say, the biggest bore possible at the wheel cylinders mating with maybe a smaller bore master, and still get a short stroke. Since he insists upon drum brakes, brake fade will be a large concern. I had a '65 Fairlane w/289 warmed up a little, and learned about brake fade the hard way.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.