Hot Rod Forum banner

Hydro boosters

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Don Meyer 
#1 ·
This is a tough one that I am having a problem getting any info on. I have a car that has 12" GM discs on the front brakes & 11" drum brakes on the Ford 9" rear.
I do not have room for a vac boost & a remote vac boost will not do the job(4900lbs),thus I have to go to a GM hydroboost under the floor.
In 1985 Cad used this system in their diesel cars & chev is using this boost in the 1 ton dual wheel trk.
They booth work off the power brake pump, but I can not get any boost figures on these .....anyone have any info on either of these?.......thanks Don

#2 ·
ive mounted one in a 66 impala SS with a 454 (the engine now in my deuce roadster) with tall valvecovers. and i could not even fit an 8´´ booster in there, and if i could, i didnt have any vacum.

so i mointed the hydraulic brake booster of some caprice i think it was.. but others propably fit also. and all i had to make was a hoze that ran from the PS-pump to the booster, one from the booster to the PS-pump, and two returns, one from the booster and one from the steering box. and let me tell you.. it works berret than any vacum booster. i can lock all four wheels at 12o mph with a firm push on the pedal..

best 300 i ever spent hoses included

#3 ·
the second hoze was from the booster to the steering box and not the pump..

as the hydraulic mooster have two returns, one high pressure bypass that simply runs to the steering when the pedal is not affected, and a lowpressure return that sends lowpress oil back to the pump..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.