hydroboost bypass - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

hydroboost bypass

Hello I'm in the process of going through a 1986 454 to put in a 1978 Trans Am. The problem I am having right now is that the 454 is equiped with a power steering pump that has three hoses coming out of the back but the TA only has 2 hoses. I believe the three hose system is for hydroboost. I noticed that one looks like it is bolted in could I just unscrew it and put a plug in, because from my understanding the hydroboost has two return lines but i would only need the one since I am not running the hydroboost system. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLAW00
Hello I'm in the process of going through a 1986 454 to put in a 1978 Trans Am. The problem I am having right now is that the 454 is equiped with a power steering pump that has three hoses coming out of the back but the TA only has 2 hoses. I believe the three hose system is for hydroboost. I noticed that one looks like it is bolted in could I just unscrew it and put a plug in, because from my understanding the hydroboost has two return lines but i would only need the one since I am not running the hydroboost system. Thanks in advance for any replies.
That's correct, but why not just use the pump that came with the T/A originally? Does the 454 use a pump with a remote reservoir? If so, you should be able to mount the other pump to the same brackets.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:05 AM

Actually I didn't know the pumps were universal so thanks for the tip, and yes the 454 does have a remote resvoir. Also the TA has an oldsmobile 307 that was put in sometime that leaks really bad or i would consider using it.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Actually I didn't know the pumps were universal so thanks for the tip, and yes the 454 does have a remote resvoir. Also the TA has an oldsmobile 307 that was put in sometime that leaks really bad or i would consider using it.
The Saginaw pumps are all pretty much the same (except for metric threads on the later ones). The leak is also common. A seal kit cost about $15. You should be able to swap the reservoir from one pump to the other. The only issue may be clearance with the T/A reservoir on the 454 bracket.

Also, PM me about the Olds engine mount brackets. I'd be interested in buying them off you if they are the original 403 brackets. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

i have some an 85 oldsmobile p/s pump and brackets lower miles i think it was 89k miles on it, a cutlass

gas engine, not hydroboost equipped

no hoses

wasa car i scrapepd because the yoiung kid who owned it blew up the engine because he was hot rodding too hard all the time

the car was mint no rust, i had to take it to the shredder because no one wanted the car since it didnt run anymore plus ppl around here are broke as a joke dont even have a spare 300 to give for anything

pics available of the pump

not all of them are the same and idfenticakl

some dont have the threaded stud on the back of the pump that most of them do have

there are different pumps gm used on different applications

also the old ones had bolted on pulley

good luck

Last edited by fast68; 10-07-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
not all of them are the same and idfenticakl
Never said they were identical. They are INTERCHANGEABLE. All the Saginaw pumps with the removable reservoir use the same basic pump casting. The remote reservoir pumps used on the mid-1980s pickups actually did have a small reservoir bolted to the pump and a larger remote reservoir connected with a hose.

Quote:
some dont have the threaded stud on the back of the pump that most of them do have
The threaded stud is simply part of the bolt that holds the reservoir to the pump casting. If the stud is needed, remove the bolt with stud from the old pump and thread it into the new one.

Quote:
also the old ones had bolted on pulley
Doesn't matter, the pump still bolts to the bracket. This is only an issue if you have a bolt-on V-groove pulley pump an need one with a serpentine pulley.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 PM

bolt size

I started this thread earlier but after I took the extra line out and tried to plug it I didn't know what size plug to use. I bought a 3/8 npt plug but it doesn't want to thread farther than about a quarter turn and thought i better ask before i put a wrench to it. Could anybody tell me the definite size before I go any farther. Thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
I started this thread earlier but after I took the extra line out and tried to plug it I didn't know what size plug to use. I bought a 3/8 npt plug but it doesn't want to thread farther than about a quarter turn and thought i better ask before i put a wrench to it. Could anybody tell me the definite size before I go any farther. Thanks in advance
Wait a sec ...
There should only be one threaded connection for the pressure hose, and there should be two hose barbs with clamps for the two return lines. You shouldn't be plugging off the pressure line, are you?

Now ... you are dealing with two completely different p/s hose fitting styles.
That 1984 power steering pump should have metric o-ring style fittings on it, and the 1978 system should be using SAE inverted-seat tube fittings.

So ... you cannot use pipe thread plugs to plug off either a tube thread or metric o-ring hole. The pipe thread is much coarser than tube thread as well as being tapered, and is obviously a mis-match for the metric threads and o-ring seals.

That means you either have to have special hoses built, or get a new pump designed to fit the pre-81 inverted seat style hoses.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

78 firebird 350 ps pressure hose

Quote:
Type of Ends:7/16" Male Inverted Flare x 3/8" Male Inverted Flare
================================

1984 C20 454 w/ HB pressure hose

Quote:
Type of Ends:16 mm-1.50 mm Male O-Ring x 18 mm-1.50 mm Male O-Ring

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.