Hydroboost plumbing ??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hydroboost plumbing ???

I located a hydroboost master cylinder that I think will work well in my '59 pickup. Can anyone tell me how to plumb the thing in. I have a power steering pump but need to know what to plumb in first . Do I go to the hydro-boost first or the steering gear? What about the pressure reservoir,where does that belong? Does any power steering pump work or is the pressure going to be incorrect. I could get the psp out of the wrecked vehicle as well if need be.The vehicle it's coming out of was hit hard in front and so it's difficult to see how it's plumbed. Luckily the collision was low enough that it missed the master cylinder assembly.Thanks Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006, 12:33 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I put my new portable work lights together just so I can help you with your question.

I dont know what year truck you got your master cylinder from and I dont know how much they've differed over the years. What I can tell you is how the hydroboost is plumbed on my '00 Silverado 2500 and hope that it is of some help to you.

First, it appears that you'll need a power steering pump with three hose connections on it. So the one you mentioned from the wrecked vehicle is probably needed. Anyway, on my truck the pressure line leaves the pump and is run to the master cylinder. Then from the master cylinder the pressure line runs down to the steering box. From the steering box a line is routed to the power steering cooler before returning to the pump. The pressure line to the master cylinder is connected to the inside (passenger side) connection on the master cylinder while the line from the master cylinder to the steering box connects on the outside (drivers side) connection. Does that make sense? There is also a low pressure hose that runs from the master cylinder down to the side of the pump. If my digital camera hadn't crapped out I'd take a picture of it.

Hope that helps...
Old 07-09-2006, 02:35 AM

Last journal entry: Artillery wheels
Last photo:

Check out

www.hydroboost.com

The have your answer.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
I put my new portable work lights together just so I can help you with your question.

I dont know what year truck you got your master cylinder from and I dont know how much they've differed over the years. What I can tell you is how the hydroboost is plumbed on my '00 Silverado 2500 and hope that it is of some help to you.

First, it appears that you'll need a power steering pump with three hose connections on it. So the one you mentioned from the wrecked vehicle is probably needed. Anyway, on my truck the pressure line leaves the pump and is run to the master cylinder. Then from the master cylinder the pressure line runs down to the steering box. From the steering box a line is routed to the power steering cooler before returning to the pump. The pressure line to the master cylinder is connected to the inside (passenger side) connection on the master cylinder while the line from the master cylinder to the steering box connects on the outside (drivers side) connection. Does that make sense? There is also a low pressure hose that runs from the master cylinder down to the side of the pump. If my digital camera hadn't crapped out I'd take a picture of it.

Hope that helps...
Yes, and I believe now that the one I'm in the process of getting (from a mid 90's astrovan) is plumbed in a similar fashion. I still have access to the vehicle and so will return to retrieve the pump and cooler. I didn't get that to begin with because the vehicle was hit low in the front and I couln't see that stuff. The owner (of the yard) says I can cut away whatever I need to in order to get at the pump. I hope the mounting will not be different on the v6. Thanks for your help. Tom
Old 07-10-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propaneburner
Check out

www.hydroboost.com

The have your answer.
Thanks, some good reading there. I think I'll grab that PS pump from the donor vehicle just in case things don't work out plumbing wise. Tom
Old 07-10-2006, 09:56 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Let us know how the install works out. I've been toying with the idea of putting hydroboost on my 72 Blazer.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Let us know how the install works out. I've been toying with the idea of putting hydroboost on my 72 Blazer.
Will do. The one I'm using has a return line in the(brake) booster. I will have to bring this together with the return from the power steering b/4 going to the pump. Will let everyone know. Tom
Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 AM

Last journal entry: Artillery wheels
Last photo:

A hydrolics service can press the oil lines for you.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:25 AM

try this link it may be helpfull

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=202888
Old 07-16-2006, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

The Astro van you are getting parts from will have remote reservoir for the fluid. It's pump has three fittings: pressure out (threaded metric), return from steering box (3/8" hose nipple), and supply from reservoir (5/8" hose nipple). The reservoir has two hose nipples: 3/8" for return from hydroboost, and 5/" supply to pump. Looking at the front of the hydroboost, the threaded fitting on the left is the supply, the threaded fitting on the right goes to the steering box, and the hose nipple goes to the reservoir. Let me know if you want pictures, as I have the whole setup sitting in my garage.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.