Hot Rod Forum banner

Hydrolic Valve tap

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  GoneNova/406 
#1 ·
this all started a right after winter i was running my car up and down the driveway (its about 1/16mile) and a valve on the #2 piston started to tap really badly (even at idle) i ran it over to the family shop and i pulled the valve cover off of it and pushed down on the valves to see if any of them were loose and none of them were after i did that i remembered i forgot to change back to my summer oil (20w 50) instead of my winter oil (10w 30) (the difference in oil is because the engine will not turn over fast enough to start the car with heavy oil in the winder) and when i did that the valve stopped tapping untill i pulled it out of the shop and gave it some gas and it tapped a little and i noticed the more i push on the gas the more the valve tapps it isn't a really really bad tap but it's noticable and embarrasing and i want to get rid of it

here is the set-up i'm using

390 FE

completley stock valve train with the stock seals and i have to use lead substitute in it

i would like to fix the car with out paying a lot of money because i just spent all of my current "car money" on new gears for my rear end (3.82:1 ford 9in :thumbup: ) and yeah i know my priorities arn't right because i need a 120 dollar part for my turn signals to work correctly

See less See more
#2 ·
I know you feel youve already diagnosed it but sometimes an exhaust leak at the cylinder head can sound just like a valve train noise. Might be something to check out.

I dont think oil weight thick vs thin is going to make any difference.

If one rocker arm is rattling you should be able to find it by holding the rocker arm.

Also if you end up taking the rockershafts off be sure pay attention to how they came apart. They can go back together a bunch of different ways only one is right though.
Seems to me if you get them in upsidedown the valve covers will get pumped full of oil and engine will smoke like crazy.

#3 ·
wow greg thats interesting .

you can isolate an exhust leak with a hose heater or garden use it like a stethoscope sometimes hyd lifters will beed down you might try marvel mystery oil or lucas oil treatment both good product for me

good luck let us know how u make out

sr66

#4 ·
i'm not sure if you realize i have the rockers that are on a shaft like a pole goes through all 3 of them and if i have an exaust leak what specifically would i do to find it and also if i use the mystery oil what does it do, what is a hydrolic lifter beed down lol sorry about my stupidity but i'm almost clueless when it comes to valvetrain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.