i am having starting issues with my 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

i am having starting issues with my 350

just put the motor in this weekend, she started right up. the issue is after it has run for a bit it will not start back up. i have put a timing light on it and its about three degrees advanced. the engine is a 79 model with the timing tab straight above the water pump. it has been bored .60 over has a .496 lift mild cam stock heads and top end for now. it seems to run good driving it is a little sluggish on the take off but then its ok. does not idle well at all seems to be all over the place at times. any help is appreciated here....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Sounds like it may still be out of time and could be the carb adjustment along with a vacuum leak somewhere. JMO
Don't really think you have it dialed in just yet. IMHO

Cole
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

thanx for the input , found a bad vacuum line this afternoon and also took the starter apart and found it burnt severely inside, the field was shot replaced it, adjusted timing a bit more and its doing alot better. found out that i cannot set the timing by the timing tab, DUH, i should have known better to much cam so its well off the mark i have to guess here but close to 14 degrees or so. still has a gas raddle with a load so i am gonna keep adjusting till i get it right.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83chevytruck
thanx for the input , found a bad vacuum line this afternoon and also took the starter apart and found it burnt severely inside, the field was shot replaced it, adjusted timing a bit more and its doing alot better. found out that i cannot set the timing by the timing tab, DUH, i should have known better to much cam so its well off the mark i have to guess here but close to 14 degrees or so. still has a gas raddle with a load so i am gonna keep adjusting till i get it right.
That cam (.495" lift) isn't really that mild in a street driven 350 SBC. I'd expect it to have at least 230 duration @ 0.050".

You'd like there to be at least 16 BTDC at idle speed, more would likely be OK. For the total timing you need about 36-38 BTDC total, all in by about 2500 RPM. You will need a set of springs to change how soon the advance comes in. Advance weight and spring kits are sold but use just the springs.

You may need to modify the distributor to limit the total advance so as to not exceed the desired 36-38 total timing. You want about 10-12 of vacuum advance. Connect the vacuum advance to a manifold vacuum source. This will help keep the idle RPM up, w/o opening the primary throttle blades any more than they need to be. If they're opened too far, the idle will go pig-rich and you'll lose control using the idle mixture screws.

If needed, there are adjustable vacuum cans like the ACCEL #31035.

If you find the vacuum advance adds too much advance (more than 10- 12) but is OK otherwise, you will need to physically limit the vac can's travel w/a vacuum advance limiter: [/B] Crane #99619-1; #99619-1 INSTRUCTIONS.

If you're unsure, or just want to check the accuracy of the tab/mark for TDC, DETERMINE TDC will help you to see for yourself.

You can use MAKE A TIMING TAPE for instructions on making a temporary timing tape to use to check/set the timing if you don't have a dial back timing light. Before removing the tape, permanently mark the damper w/the total advance position and any other positions you want.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.