I am here just ask me - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am here just ask me

Hey everyone, Starting a new project an need new ideas. But I am here to help as well. I have 19 years of interior experiance ranging from simple seats to complex installations. I can help with materials as well as applications. Just let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2004, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Old 06-28-2004, 10:33 PM

Last journal entry: Got the backside done (more or less)
Last photo:

Doing my own interior

Welcome Aboard!

OK, here is your first question... should have everything else done on this project by around September. Interior work has always been a mystery to me but I would like to play around with it some. Could you take a look at my project and tell me what you might recommend as a way to start ?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:58 PM

Welcome and im sure a lot need your help.Rock on
Old 06-29-2004, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

36scsc

1st take alot of dimensions. On a coupe the floor is narrower at the front than the back this will limit the seat widths that you can get in that car. I like to always consider getting in and out of the car first (it really limits enjoyment if you feel like you are forcing yourself in and out of the car).

Leg swing and wheel clearance are the first things I consider. You will want to have about 12 inches for legs in and out and 5 inches under the wheel. Those are a minimum because the floor board is set back so far. Get the steering wheel mocked up, height to the bottom of the wheel will be the starting point to measure down from. Then draw a line from the front edge of the door opening this is a reference line, then draw another back 12 inches. Take a dimension from the new 12" line to the deepest part of the car at centerline of the car. This would be the longest seat and widest if you dont make anything real custom. If you want to go more custom measure the the floor at the back of the door and the back of the car. using the rear door opening and the back of the car for the other width dimension)

Next take the centerline of the car (mark it when you take previous dimension). Hopefully you will end up with a dimension front to back of atleast 24" minimum. and a width of 28".

Seats tend to be 24" long by 22" wide. Best seat cushion lengths are 18" shorter make your legs go to sleep, and 21" wide (fuller figures like wider seats) but we will get as much as possible later.

Get these first and get back on the board.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

C.I.,
Can you recommend an inexpensive, yet capable sewing machine for interior work. I want to do my own interior on my 40 Chevy. I have taught myself everything else, from body and paint to engine and drivetrain, and consider myself proficient in the above, so now it's time to round out the education.......
I did some part time work for a one man upholstery shop in college, so I can remember 'some' of the basics, but I would consider myself starting from scratch.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 06-29-2004, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

Cheapest most reliable and easiest to get parts for is the old singer 211. If you get one without reverse and a small bobbin it will be more than capable. You should be able to pick one up fairly inexpensively depending on what you intend on doing in the future (a good machine will pay for itself in 3 or 4 jobs).

In Michigan (alot of automotive around) we can get them between 300 and 1000 bucks.

The parts (sewing feet are interchangable with the Juki 563) are cheaper than a consew or Phaff.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.