I am so confused - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 06:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I am so confused

Hello all,

I am writing to ask for help in getting the most out of my 355 SBC. It is in a 1971 Nova, with a TH350, 2500 stall converter, and an 8.5" rear with 4.11s.

My current engie car is 90% street, and 10% strip. I would like a lumpy idel, but do not want to lose street manners. Any and all guidance is most appreciated.

WildWilliene:

9.5:1
461 heads 2.02 / 1.60
Summit cam 234/244 @ .050 .488/.510 (with 1.6 rollers .520/.544)
Weiand Stealth intake
Edelbrock 750
MSD ignition

The motor is not running right, and falls off around 5300-5400 rpms. I need a combination that will wake up this Nova. Please suggest a top end that will make some decent power. This car is 90% street and 10% strip. I would like a lopey idle, but it is not entirely necessary. Any and all guidance is most appreciated.

WildWillie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

possible weak valve springs and or low cylinder head flow and or restrictive exhaust. Are the heads stock or ported. (more than a pocket port job)
Are you willing to change the torque converter to a higher stall speed for a cam swap possible cam+ intake manifold swap?
If the heads are stock or near stock are you willing to do something about that?
"Stealth" is that the older Weiand #8016 manifold? or the newer RPM style hi rise clone?

Got a few ideas in mind to wake er up.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 08-24-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:37 AM

Thanks for responding FBird.

possible weak valve springs and or low cylinder head flow and or restrictive exhaust. I had heard at one time that the 461 castings with the 2.02 / 1.60 valves were good running heads, but on this motor they are laying down around 5500 RPMs.

Are the heads stock or ported (more than a pocket port job)? A 3 angle valve job is all that has been done to them, along with hardened seats

Are you willing to change the torque converter to a higher stall speed for a cam swap possible cam+ intake manifold swap? As it is right now I am looking at the Lunati 300/515 bracket master II cam, along with a possible set of aluminum heads from Edelbrock, have a call into Canfield heads as well

If the heads are stock or near stock are you willing to do something about that? Yes I am if the price is not outrageous. Again, I am looking at the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, as well as the Canfiled 23-500 heads

"Stealth" is that the older Weiand #8016 manifold? or the newer RPM style hi rise clone? My Stealth is the older design, supposed to be good from 1500-6500 RPMs.

I appreciate any and all feedback, I am looking at updating the heads and cam this winter if that is what needs to be done. I am also looking at re-ringing the pistons to restore compression. I have good compression, but if I am tearing it down that far I might as well do piston rings and new bottom end bearings while it is out.

WildWillie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.