i beam front axle question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 01:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

i beam front axle question

i know there was a post similar to this recently, i read it but it didn't answer my question.

i want to run a stock Ford axle, so i was thinking about using a 40 ford axle so i can get a little drop compared to a model a axle.

OK so here is were im dumb, will model a spindles fit a 40 axle, or would i be better off finding a different year spindle, if so what year would work the best considering i want to run drum brakes with finned Buick drums. so i need to know what spindles, hubs, and brakes i need to find. i would like to find the best parts to put this front end setup together with. can i use the hub that is already on the finned Buick drums or will that need to be removed?

is the perch boss where the wishbone connect or were the spindles connect?

will any year axle work for this setup?

is there a website or a post that anyone knows about that would give me this info?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thank you for any info you might have.

Advertisement

Last edited by Deuce; 01-31-2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

A complete 1940 I-beam front suspension axle would already have most of everything you would need. They have good spindles and hydraulic 12" brakes. Buick brake drums are also 12 inches ... adapting the Buick drums to the 40 brake has been done many, many times ... for 40 years or more.

The perch mount is where the perch goes ( where the springs attaches )

Look closely and you can see where the spring eye is held by a shackle. The shackle goes to the perch. The perch goes thru the axle and a shock mount is bolted to the bottom of the perch.

Buick 45 fins drums came on the late 50's and early 60's big Buicks. Beware of folks trying to sell them on certain internet sites. The maximum size for the drums to be turned ( safely ) is 12.090 ... and most have already been turned to that spec and are basically useless.

Because this is your first build ... you may be interested in reading a project journal here on Hotrodders.com

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=1&reverse=1

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 01-31-2009, 08:34 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

buick drums

google buick fined drums and you'll find about a dozen places that have articles on how to.. A friend owns a wrecking yard and we go help when he is crushing cars and the price is right on chrusher cars. I got the front susp off a 65 buick with the finns and a 46 lincoln axle out of an old farm hay wagon.. I don't know what is involved in using the lincoln hubs if they aare different.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.