I bought a MIG - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 11:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I bought a MIG

I bought a 115 Campbell Hausfeld welder from Wal-Mart, it was right at $300 with a gas kit. I have not done anything with gas yet just flux core wire. I wish it had a knob for voltage control but the switches seam to work OK. I did some 3/16", 1/8" very rusty and some sheet not sure what thickness. All my beads were very nice, the settings on the unit work but I like welding hotter so I went the next setting up. My dad who is a pretty good stick welder tried it and then left and went bought him one so I guess he liked it. A friend who was a welder in the Navy and did mostly TIG tried it, he unlike my dad and I got a better bead by pushing the puddle, the unit says to pull for steel and my dad and I found that better. Brad, my friend, found he had better control pushing but his beads it did not look tons better, he did use a slower feed speed than I liked and his bead was flatter than mine with less, OK no splater I had a little, but his penetration was the same. Either way the bead was very nice with perfect penetration. I am anxious to try gas now.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 01:12 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

congrats. now you can start making all kinds of crazy things...
Old 07-18-2004, 09:32 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

you should like it once you get to know how to weld with it pretty good, gas one welds so nice
Old 04-03-2005, 03:28 PM

New mig here also

Don't mean to hijack this thread but after reading the posts on mig welders i was better prepared when i bought mine.

I bought a Hobart 180 haven't tried it yet but i have no doubt it will be fine.

I gotta tell ya being a Drag Racer i wasn't sure bout this site ,but i'm spending morer time surfing on here than on the Racing sites.

Tomorrow the contracter is coming to build my new shop,guess where i'm getting my info.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

I bought one of those @ walmart too, but it didn't have a gas kit - that's separate. It came with all the gas fittings and such, no bottle. It was on clearance for 199.00. The store near me is not going to carry those welders anymore, which is why they were on clearance. The wire was also on sale for about 7.00 a spool.

I learned to stick weld back in my shipyard workin' days. MIG is a little different!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:24 PM
waynenewtoneVil

Last journal entry: plans
Last photo:

Whoooohoo, let's hear it for the Hobart. I bought a 180 last year and have no gripes. The thing I have noticed on the lower price welders is the lack of voltage settings. The switches will work, but just not as adjustable. My Hobart has only 5 settings, while a comparable amp. Miller had infinate. Big difference in price, about $400. $300 with the gas kit seems to be a pretty good deal. Do yourself a favor, get that tank filled and ditch the flux core wire. You'll love it!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:

I also just got the smallest welder I could afford and after a year I'm still very happy with it's performance even though it's got only 4 settings through the 2 switches. I don't know what I would have done without it. And, since buying mine I haven't touched my arc welder again. I don't do all that much welding so I could just never get such good result with the arc than what I get with the mig.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:57 AM
Last photo:

I agree, get rid of the flux core wire and get yourself a gas bottle. You will be amayzed at how much better you can weld.

Vince

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.