I bought a new car! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 01:07 AM
Chevy sittin' low

Wiki Edits: 0

I bought a new car!

I bought a new car last Friday! It's a 2004 Dodge Stratus R/T. When I told everyone I bought a stratus they were picturing a 4 door family car, but these are a whole different body style. I don't think I'll ever be able too really talk about it here, because despite it being domestic and having R/T badges, it's really just a Mitsubishi Eclipse underneath. Same 200hp V-6, same suspention, and even a similar interior. I must say that I full heartedly agree with the older guys now. I used too be completely anti-import and drove my tunnel ram as a daily driver, but this new car is pure COMFORT! It has leather seats, 5 speed manual, AC, is governed at 135, and gets 22-30MPG!!!!. This thing takes corners like the nova never could. If anybody knows any websites that I can get some minor performance upgrade tips from I'd like too know. The nova is still my passion, but this six banger is a whole different kind of fun! Well that's my little self indulgent rant, and yes I'll have pics in the album tommorow.

P.S. I'm 20, and NO, my parents did not buy me the car. Just my own hard earned money! Thank God for the Army! Actually the pics are probably allready there..........

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2003, 04:32 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

ATTENTION ALL!!!!! ADRENALINE IS NOW A RICER!!!! Just kidding!!! Congrats on the new purchase. Chrysler makes some sharp looking cars and I'm sure you will be well satisfied with yours. The new cars are designed for comfort. That and they smell good!!! That will save the Nova for the Sunday afternoon drives. Hook up with MK2R, he'll turn you on to the ricer upgrades.

Kevin
Old 09-22-2003, 07:45 AM
Chevy sittin' low

Hey, I'm not selling out, just buying in.....J/K I took it buy the Idaho Speed Center too see if they had any recommendations for a few easy bolt ons, and the first thing they suggested was a fart can for that "cool" noise I told them I wanted something more like a flowmaster (ha ha, one flowmaster, never thought I'd say that) Needless too say they weren't too helpfull. I am hoping they come out with a turbo or a supercharger for the eclipse that will bolt up too my engine though. I definately enjoy the nova so much more. It broke down at the races last Saturday and it was like, "oh, well we'll just have too drive the new car w/ the heater home" I still go for the occasional noisey romp around the block at 2a.m. just because I hate not driving the nova. The biggest plus is that I've also decided to build a rat engine instead of a mouse since it's no longer a daily driver. One of the greatest things is that when I go down to the cruise, ricers pull up next to me and ask me what kind of car the stratus is, and the guys in the loud eclipses' don't even know it's the same car only more sleeperish.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

recomendation as to what to do with the fake Eclipe

As I am sure you already know this is a Hot Rod site, right? So this Dodge Stratus R/T is really and Eclipse right? I feel your pain Dude. All these car maker's are selling jap crap as American cars. This whole thing stinks. And the GTO is a fake too. Old badges on jap or euro cars.. We don't need no stinkin badges stuck on these cars to sell them to unsuspecting buyers who think they are buying into car history, these cars arn't even in the same league as the original's. I bought a supercharged Riv, I wonder what it is under the skin?? Probably a honda or hyundai or subaru or something not American. just my opinion of course, people are going to continue to buy these cars till the American car makers make cars that people will buy that compete in this market against the imports. take it with a grain of salt. Buy American when you can guys, its important to the American Auto industry. I love this Hobby not necessarily where it is going! Old School Rodder and proud of it!

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:17 AM
Chevy sittin' low

I would drool over a stratus R/T with a 5.7 hemi and rear wheel drive. Heck, why not call it a charger Not that, that's likely to happen any time soon.............Hopefully by the time I build my credit by paying this car off, the big three will have something awesome that I can get approved for.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:14 AM

Last photo:

Not bad.. i like it.. good way to build up the beast for the weekend cruisin and for the track..

Nos
Old 09-23-2003, 04:45 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

Daily driver/Hotrodder

Hey, I am "married man in a mini van" most of the time. I only get to be Joe Kool under certain conditions, like when its clean, running, no rain, etc,etc.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:38 AM
Chevy sittin' low

Well, if all goes well I just might start posting about the Strat here every now and then. I've found a company that makes full length headers w/ high flow cats and true dual exhaust. Hook them up with some Flowmasters and my R/T is sure gonna purr. I'm also hoping to get the centrifugal supercharger after taxes. There are guys with the stage one kit (5-9 psi), headers and good mufflers running mid 13's all day long. Pretty dang good for a V-6 front wheel drive. The record right now is 412 hp and like 380+ ft/lbs running 12's, with the stage 2 kit, and still with only forged pistons as far as upgraded internals go. I can hardly contain myself. All of that with an emissions legal vehicle that still gets mpg in the 20's and has air conditioning That's all for now. The nova unfortunately now sits in storage until a later date
Old 11-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Wanna see a hemi car... Go to dodge search for the magnum, srt.

Rear wheel drive Hemi Supercharged WAGON....

Took dodge getting bought to get rear wheel drive powerhouses back...

Oh well I still want one, slated for May 04 as 2005 model.

Jim
Old 11-21-2003, 01:07 AM
Along for the ride

Quote:
So this Dodge Stratus R/T is really and Eclipse right?
This really isn't anything new. Originally, the Eclipse was tagged as an Avenger by Dodge, but the didn't sell as well as expected.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:27 AM

So you take this new car and make all your upgrades. Now you really have something that will run and is comfortable. BUT, now you have $40,000 in it. You might be able to get $20,000 and 5 years from now it will be worth $3000. Sorry to rain on your parade, have fun,
Jack
Old 11-21-2003, 09:34 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
This whole thing stinks. And the GTO is a fake too. Old badges on jap or euro cars
TM...The GTO is Australian, not Jap or Euro. It's made from the Monaro and rebadged. Ask some of our friends from Down Under what kind of performance vehicles they are. Don't get me wrong. Not being sarcastic, just informative. LOL!!!

Kevin
Old 11-21-2003, 01:42 PM

Last journal entry: almost ready to go in
Last photo:

TM,

there is a Monaro lives round the block from me with over 1000 HP at the flywheel and it idles at the lights without tripping itself over.. No it is not totally American made and yes it does have a chevy engine in it and yes it does have heritage.

I dont want to start a pissing match but please lay off the Monaro not having a history worthy of it being rebadged a GTO.

We are very proud of the fact that Pontiac looked to us for their GTO car and I really do think they made the decision due to the lack of an alternative.

Like I said this isnt intended to either seem ticked off by your comment nor to start an international bragging war LOL

I will look for some stats on the mighty Monaros of the 60's and 70's These cars were inspired by American Muscle cars of the same era and were for the most part powered by Chevy small blocks

Rant over :-)

Craig

http://groups.msn.com/MONARO

http://pub39.bravenet.com/freelink/s...42973787&cpv=1

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...y?vehicleid=12

http://www.holdenmotorsport.com/

http://www.supercars.net/SDB?INPUT=monaro&x=64&y=37

http://www.arealgem.com/Holden%20Monaro%20History.htm

http://ultimategto.com/monaro04.htm

Still think the GTO is just a rebadge? we should be so lucky as to have the GTO running gear in our cars..check this out

http://www.supercars.net/SDB?INPUT=monaro&x=64&y=37

I could go on but I dont want to rub it in:-)

Craig

Last edited by klassik100; 11-21-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Re: recomendation as to what to do with the fake Eclipe

Quote:
Originally posted by tm454
All these car maker's are selling jap crap as American cars. Probably a honda or hyundai or subaru or something not American. Buy American when you can guys, its important to the American Auto industry.
Todd
Rat Rods Rule!
Whoa There, Big man! How do you figure that a Honda is NOT an American car? Lets see, Yeah, the Accords and Acuras are built in Marysville,OHIO,the Civics are built in East Liberty,OHIO, along with the Element. The Odyssey van and the Pilot and the Acura MDX are built in.....hold on... Alabama! Then we have our plant in Canada(thats still North America) that builds the Accord wagon and 3door Civic. The Hondas that you see driving around on your Amerian roads are built in America! The only exception that Honda has that is imported is the Prelude and S2000 they are built in Japan, but I don't feel that they are in the same class as to what you are talking about.
I look at it this way, until the money hungry, union run Auto plants can spew out something other than the pure crap that they build now, then you are going to have to deal with it!
Where do you work at again....oh yeah, Ford right?
It sounds to me like you are just a little jealous about the competition in our industry. Trust me, I looove the original Big 3 cars, but until someone makes one to fit my needs/wants then I will have to modify or make my own. As far as you go...I don't know what your big hang-up is with the proverbial 'jap-crap', but I think that you should double check your facts as to where/who is building the cars before you go shooting off the mouth.
So you tell me this what does Toyota,Nissan,Honda,Acura,Hyundia,Kia,Subaru and Saturn all have in common? NONE of them are built in JAPAN!!!!

P.S. I am a fan of the imports....not the japanese imports....I am talking German, and British...the Japanese can't even come close to their styling or engineering(either can the Americans)

Later,
WEIMER(stepping off my soapbox now...)
Old 11-21-2003, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

that looks like a nova

Nos

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.