Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I build a leak down tester.
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 AM
SSR Engines & carburation

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I build a leak down tester.

FIRST I HAVE ALWAYS HAD ONE, LOADED IT OUT. IT HAS YET TO RETURN!
ALSO I AM SURE THERE IS A LOT OF INFO AND RESOURCES FOR THIS.
I am just bragging about my over kill!

Let me start with, if you don't have the tools and some parts, building your own is not economical. You can purchase one on the E-bay for around 50.00 quality? I don't know.

Things you will need.
1/8 NPT pipe tap
#60 drill bit .040
Pressure regulator
Gauges
Brass or steel fittings.
And old compression gauge (or a new one)
a "M' style female coupler
"M" style male nipple

Things I have, so i just put them to use!
I have a old compression gauge, (I got me a new digital one)
This saves some major work. Most have a "M" style air compressor fitting. The parts from compression tester, hose & adapters for connecting to engine will be used.

I have some big gauges that I purchased during the winter on a e-BAY deal! (major reason for building my own)
these are some very accurate Trerlce quality gauges.
AND THEY ARE BIG!!!!! 4.5 inch dia.

NOTE: I have a cheep air regulator, I will update in the next day or so.

Most important part in building this tester is what is called a damper valve. This is a small orfis between the regulator & hose used to connect to the engine. This is also were the measurement gauge is located.

NOTE: lot of instructions of home made units on the net do not show a damper valve needed. YES IT IS NEEDED!
The industry standard is a .040 hole, or #60 Drill bit.

Now as I am sure you have already checked out the pic's I have used 1/4 pipe nipples on both sides of the regulator. The damper valve will be installed on the down leg of the regulator.

Building the damper valve:
If you use a 1/4 like I did, you can tap the inside of the nipple with a 1/8 pipe tap (the id is perfect 5/16)
So you can screw a pipe plug into it. That I drilled the .040 hole into.

Also, I feel a gauge on the air supply is very important to know. I like to feed it with 125psi plus.
And regulate to 100psi.
If you use 100psi pressure the math is easy to figure, you feed in 100psi, if the gauge reads 90psi, you have 10% leakage. Or your cylinder is 90% sealed.