I can't be the first person to deal with this - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 01:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I can't be the first person to deal with this

I have a 9" Ford from a truck I was going to use in my hotrod. As I was about to mount the transverse model A spring, I realize the center is not centered on a truck rear end. To get it centered, I'd need to shorten one side of the housing and axle 1 3/8". If the rear were out of sight, I probably wouldn't care, but its going to be seen. I have both axles out and confirmed they are equal length.

I know I'll at least have to shorten the housing, but does anyone know if there is an axle from another Ford car or truck that I could swap without having to shorten or respline? All the measurements I keep finding only tell the full width of the housing and not the individual axles. Mine are 31 spline. A truck would be great so I wouldn't have to drill an axle for the wheel pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Most of the shorter axles would be in cars, and are usually 28 spline.
Typically the axles in cars are of unequal length and one could be the length you need, but finding a 31 spline will be a chore. Those were only put in high performance cars and even then most were an option.

Why don't you save yourself a big hassle and send your axle shaft to Dutchman or Moser and let them narrow them.

You are fortunate in that the 31 spline axles can be resplined alot easier than the 28s.

I think it was less than 80.00 per axle to respline at Dutchman.

i know that our local rear end shop will respline also. You might want to check your phone book.

Who is going to narrow your rear end? They might be able to narrow the axles also.
I just did my first narrowing and straightening on a 9" ford rear. (I need to finish that thread.. )

It was a learning experience.

later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-21-2006, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

I got a quote locally for $185 to do everything but I have found places that will shorten the housing from $50 - $100. By the time I ship an axle to Moser or Currie, I'm already about $100. I realize it s a long shot to find a suitable axle without needing some modification but it doesn't hurt to ask. Money is just so tight right now and I was hoping to know what to look for in wrecking yards this week.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Your limitations are your current 31 spline axles and the pickup truck axle flange bolt circle size, which is unique to the PU and van. Ford full size cars ,of which most were not much narrower, were 5 on 5 while the trucks were 5 on 5.5....The early bronco would be a good pick, because it is as narrow as you will find and has the pickup bolt circle, BUT most of those were 28 spline

Hot rods are fun, huh...

You might be better off looking for a whole rear end that will fit your car when you go to the junk yard.

What are you building?

Mikey

Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

Its a 28 Ford roadster pickup as best I can describe. This is my first build. Fenderless, sitting low is the plan. I bought most of this about 15 years ago before the rat rod craze. Just now doing something with it all before my baby girl grows up. Then I KNOW I won't have any money for a hot rod. It will be rough looking at first until I decide what I want to do with the paint. Just trying to make it a roller right now. The frame is home built 2x3 box tubing. The rear end was a freebie a long time ago, so I guess I can't complain. At this point I could either modify the rear I have or start fresh. I think either way will cost about the same not to mention I have little time to chase one down in a wrecking yard.

I set a goal for myself and just trying everything possible to make it and where to spend the little cash I have gathered.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:35 AM

NO Ford 8 or 9 inch rearend fromn car or truck has a centered center section. This is due to the design of the differential unit.
"Back when" nobody cared if the center section was centered, they just cared whether it got them down the road safely and often quickly and had decent brakes to get stopped in a hurry. Cosmetics is a show car idea that drifted over into street rods and hot rods in the 70s and now we're stuck with it...or at least you are. LOL
Old 11-25-2006, 10:57 AM

Last journal entry: Painting
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod
NO Ford 8 or 9 inch rearend fromn car or truck has a centered center section. This is due to the design of the differential unit.
"Back when" nobody cared if the center section was centered, they just cared whether it got them down the road safely and often quickly and had decent brakes to get stopped in a hurry. Cosmetics is a show car idea that drifted over into street rods and hot rods in the 70s and now we're stuck with it...or at least you are. LOL
lol......can't help from snickering on this one, if you are going to build this as a daily, who cares! If you look at most drivers on the road, non of the third members are actually centered under the frame. Your most worries is the thrust alignment for your tracking down the road.
Use your local axle shop and give them the credit for your problems. Keep the money in your town and help out the locals. Give them your final measurements and let them have at it. They will pull it apart and make it all even for you. Have fun and good luck.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

I decided after pricing what it would take to shorten the one side, it would blow my budget and really not gain me anything. I wouldn't care so much if the rear was well hidden, but we're talking a roadster pickup with a transverse spring that makes it very noticeable. I decided I can live with it and even have a plan to make a trick cover and give the illusion that its centered. I'll post up pics when I get it done.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:58 PM

Ford rearend

My 57 F-100 had a 9" on it but I replaced it with a 1974 Grand Torino rearend the stock one was geared to low I also had the front spindles sized to the same bolt pattern as the rear so that I would just need one spare tire installed a FMX trans and 302 engine it came out good. Good luck!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.