I can't get no ....... Mo-ti-vation! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Dream as if you'll live 4ever

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I can't get no ....... Mo-ti-vation!

I was just wondering what you Guys & Gals do to get some motivation, It seems anymore I just can't get into working on my cars. I have three, for those of you who don't know, I have a
<------ 67 Impala SS, a 57 Chevy Belair 4dr and now a 49 Chevy Fleetline. None of which are finished, I get so far and seem to loose intrest. then I get another car it starts all over.

I sent in my registration for the Crusin the Coast in Mississippi this October. (If anybody wants any information on this show I'll be putting it in the "Shows" forum). they sent me a tape of last years show and I have to tell ya that seemed to do the trick, it made me really want to get started on my cars, Now I have to decide which one! I want to take the 49 Fleetline to Mississippi but have been told that It wasn't meant for highways, Maybe I could take back roads. It needs the least amount of work. The 57 Belair needs the engine finished, It's a stroker. And the 67 Impala needs a LOT of work.

I think now when I feel that way I'll watch an old car flick or show video to get me going again!

What do you do to get motivited?

Rodrunner

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Duck Tape & WD 40

Last journal entry: No more Vehicle
Last photo:

i get up off my couch
Old 03-12-2004, 08:07 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Two words Caffeine Pills. In all seriousness if I don't feel like working my cars I go outside and make myself do it, after about 10 minutes I start to get into it, but the stereos go to be on.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Duck Tape & WD 40

Last journal entry: No more Vehicle
Last photo:

i get up off my couch
Old 03-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

For me, the best motivation is seeing something finished. So you gotta get something finished...whether its a whole car, or its just one area like the insides.

In order to finish something, you have to get started. So "just do it" and START taking even "baby steps". Once you see progress, you'll probably get motivated a little bit more at a time.

Question: How do you eat an elephant?
Answer: One bite at a time.

Get started bro'
Old 03-12-2004, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

Do what you can to make it fun. Beer usually helps me out with the boredom. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you're doing when you've had a few cold ones, you're having fun anyway.

Or if any of them are driveable, go for a ride.

MoocH
Old 03-12-2004, 10:09 AM
speed secret: drive fast!!!!!!

i just watch some dragracing or anything to do with cars. if that dosnt work i just pop some nitro to go's
Old 03-12-2004, 10:36 AM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

I set goals!! I plan to be cruising with the Street Rod Show that is coming to Springfield Mo. May 21-23!! Like above, start and finish one area or part at a time!! Then stand back and admire your work for a moment--- that's LONG enough!!! On to the next task!! For me, the most depressing times are when the car is off her feet!! Changing frames, addind subframes, general suspension work, and anything that leaves the car on jack stands or blocks should be done as quickly as possible--seeing the girl back on her feet (maybe with some shiny NEW shoes) will get you motivated to have MOTOR--vation!!!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 01:01 PM

Last edited by Gen3_with_455; 07-19-2004 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:19 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Since I only have one to deal with and have gone through the same thing from time to time here is what I would suggest.

First which project would be the easiest to get finished? Having people admire you handiwork is VERY inspiring. Get one running and concentrate on that car only.

I've always wanted a 57 Bel-air but no way I could afford one. Perhaps money is a good motivation for you. A fully restored 57 can bring some serious coinage your way.

Either way remember Rome wasn't built in a day and your ride won't be rebuilt either. Put some pics of what you would like your car to look like on your computer or walls of your shop. Do one small thing at a time and soon you'll start seeing things come together. Nothing is as motivating as starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Regards
Mark
Old 03-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

i think NativeGearhead has the right idea. look at something finished that turns your crank. i know on my car sometimes i don't feel like working on it, so i don't. but don't leave it too long. i like to keep a diary every time i do something on the car. that way i can look back at the last time i worked on it so i don't leave it too long. if it gets to be a couple weeks then i tell myself i better get working on it. also, i like to plan my next job as i'm sure everybody does. so i think of one thing that i have to get done rather than get overwhelmed thinking that i have to build the whole car, i just worry about that one thing that is next on the agenda.

JB
Old 03-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

lost motovation too?

I like to get started doing something as soon as I get home from work. I grab a beer and head out to do SOMETHING, anything to get started. I stay off the couch and away from the TV and off the phone. I know the problem is the whole idea of 4 or 5 projects all at some stage of completion but NONE FINISHED!! I now have 2 drivers out of 5 car projects. I plan through the day what I will do, even small things to have some feeling of accomplishment and build on that daily. This is my hobby and I have no deadlines but those imposed on me by me, so I work to make myself happy because I enjoy this hobby. I guess I'm saying, work at your own pace, take a break when you need one! There is no pressure to finish your project.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Last edited by tm454; 03-13-2004 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I think that this time of year, it's hard to get motivated. Bad weather, shorter days etc don't help. The days are starting to get longer, and we feel like doing more in the shop.

My biggest problem this year, is getting off this damn thing (computer).....especially, this site. There are always so many interesting things going on here. I have only been here since October and I am in the top 15 in posts already, so you know what I have been doing with my life.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

I watch the car shows on t.v. even the bad ones. Never know might learn something new. (I also watch all the motorcycle shows) I read Street Rodder and if that dosen't help I come on here. I get a charge out of Weimer's S-10 and Trees pickup and of course Willy's yellow bomb is always a site to behold. They're a lot of good cars in the photo gallery. I'm still waiting to see Halloween Kings finished bike and Bull's finished Indian. I even like HRK's models. (Sorry I can't mention you all. The band is starting to play telling me to get off the stage.) So all of this stuff motovates me I also set self imposed time limits to get things done. Even if it gets done a little late it's still fun. Now get out there and get motor-vating.

Last edited by 38 special; 03-12-2004 at 04:36 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.