I could use a diagnosis - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't think we have "Harbor Freight" brand tools here in Canada, but I would imagine that they'd be on par with the "Power Fist" brand (Who comes up with names like that? LOL) that Princess Auto sells.

I buy air tools that I know I'm only going to use once in a blue moon from them. Recently it was an air shear and a panel crimper, and I paid about $45.00 each for them.

Oh, and a *really* cheesey 18" sheet-metal brake for about $20.00. At that price, I couldn't even buy the materials to build one myself.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 09:14 AM

ended up sanding the paint down to the metal, reshooting the hood and roof, and shooting another 6 coats on the car. clear coated in over 3 days, shooting 6 total layers of clear coat. Looks fine now - has a two tone gunmetal quality to it - kinda cool looking and unique. going to use the rest of the lacquer stuff for my custom guitars. Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

wait a week or two ....
Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 AM

ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Last edited by framuschuck; 07-06-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

A word about HF: One of the things about them is knowing what to buy. Some of their stuff is junk, but some is perfect for an amatuer that is only going use the tool one time, or on such a limited basis that there is no point to buying a name brand equivalent. For example, the air flanger/puncher I have works perfectly fine for my one (and only one) resto project. Would it hold up in a production shop, seeing use constantly? Probably not.

The hydraulics (jacks, motorcycle jacks) seem to be good. I've been using the motorcycle one pretty heavily as it makes a nice axle dolly too. Of course, I'd be sure to put down some nice jack stands before crawling under.

Their electronic/diagnostic stuff is garbage. At least I've never had any luck there. Although the cheapo digital caliper works well enough for spec-ing brake rotors and whatnot.

Beware the anvils they sell. These are just hunks of cast iron. A true anvil is a thick plate of steel forged atop a cast iron base (true of even authentic anvils from years ago). The first time you miss with a big hammer on that HF anvil, you can expect chunks of iron to come flying off. They actually go the extra mile to cast in a "parting line" between the face and base, but it is pure iron. Shameful.

The 5$ stud extractor I bought from there worked like a 5$ stud extractor- an almost complete waste of time. I guess they forgot that you need *hardened steel to "bite" into a grade 8 bolt.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 AM

All my HF air tools have worked very well at my shop...the 3/8 drill (9.99 what a joke) took a crap in the middle of a job but the planetary gears out of a 1/4" air ratchet (from my junk pile) fixed the problem "quick "its been working fine every day since....the metal gears are not hardened very well.so keep them oiled...BTW,I was screwing around fixing a pile of air ratchet's yesterday when I discovered all the the parts are interchangeable from HF to snap on.....every single one....The outer cases are different thats all....The 1/2" impact wrenches dont last long but for home use they're ok just check your lugs with a lug wrench first...
The auto darkening welding helmet has worked great also,for the last three of four years ....Sorry ,this is getting a little of topic...I'll guess start a HF thread
Old 07-07-2010, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

Cheap S++t VS good S++T??

OK, I'm 56 bought my first DA, air-file, 3/8 air ratchet, etc in 1970-72 area.
Bought the good stuff, replaced my first DA, somewhere around 1990's with a Dynabrade. Air ratchet about 10 years ago as I broke the original using as a breaker bar, duh.

You guys do the math but no, I do not have a pile of air ratchets to take parts from and the first 9 years, I used these tools full time.

I guess I was raised wrong but then again not real big on wasting money.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:39 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

With air tools, I've found the same brands from "cheap" to "good" w/no apparent difference at all.

As an example, this is from another THREAD:

The Ingersoll Rand #231 and the Chicago Pneumatic #731-2 (in the MAC cover) are the same tool.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 AM

Back when we were starting out (the 7os) good tools WERE good tools ...Now its a different story. they simply stamp their name on something made in another country...One of the most popular tools in a body mans box is the 1/4" air ratchet ,my first snap on lasted years but the last two I bought didn't make it a year.I believe they were about 150.00 ea.One thing I discovered was my high torque 3/8" IR ratchet that snapped off the head still works and has their name proudly stamped on every part inside ,most of the broken tools I have saved are good name brand ons like snap on, Mac and IR.
I save them because I also don't like to waste money But when I found HF had a 1/4" air ratchet for 9.99 I got one for the shop box (everyones use) .it lasted longer than both my snap ons.and all the parts inside are interchangeable.(they are the same one the inside)..At that price I can buy 15 hf air ratchets and never have to buy another so by my math I'm way ahead..buy a 10.00 tool for 10.00 or buy a 10.00 tool for 150.00 I only take bolts out with it anyways its not a precision instrument like a paint gun. I guess what I'm saying is there's no substitute for good quality tools .if you can get them, my Hutchins sander probably the only brand I can still swear by as far as quality.Everything else seems to be made somewhere else with cheap labor and shipped here with a good American name on it...Snap on used to be good and guaranteed their air tools but for the last 25yrs they don't ...Why??? Now you know...
If you went to china and had them make your epoxy primer or clear at 2/3 the price and slapped your label on it and it was exactly the same why would we buy yours at the higher price if it was the same...Or why would we buy ppg or dupont if yours was cheaper and better??? We wouldn't ,thats why we talk about how good you primer is....Because of the cheaper price a lot of guys wouldn't buy it if we didn't talk so well about it ....(cheaper is'nt necessarily inferior) this is no different...Don't let these big companies pee on your leg and tell you its raining.....some of HFs air tools are pretty good the ones I tried and liked are the 1/4" air ratchet,all the die grinders and cut of wheels,3/8 air drill,punch/flanger, Then there's the auto darking welding helmet ,and the Engligh Wheel and bead roller sure have come in handy too...
There's quite a few HF tools I'd avoid but these are the ones I use all the time and still work well...

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-09-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.