Hot Rod Forum banner

I did something really dumb today.

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  crazy larry 
#1 ·
Well today I yanked the motor out of my donor vehicle. 454, says Hi PER Pass on the back of the block...cool.

Here's the dumb thing I did though. The donor vehicle has been sitting all winter, I turned it over a few times and let it run for a few minutes and all seemed good.

Well today I had to move the vehicle to get it in position to rob the jewels. I only had it running for a few minutes but temp gauge went psycho high. Didn't think too much of it, until I bothered to think that there might not be fluid in the radiator...possible leak.

Looking under the motor I seen one of my freeze plugs blew out over the winter....

We got the motor yanked, I drained the oil and didn't see any water or A.F.

vehicle only ran for MAYBE 3-4 minutes...no more. I know, I know...only way to know for sure is to get it magnafuxed. But what are the real odds that I smoked something?

#2 ·
The odds are that running it didn't hurt the motor ( unless you heard some bad noises before shuting it down) but, if it froze solid enough to push out a freeze plug over the winter, I would definately get the block and heads checked before starting a buildup!

#6 ·
Yikes, flashack!
I rebuilt a 351 M in a ford truck. Long story short, block froze, popped a plug. Thought I got away with it.. no such luck. It caused a hairline crack in one cylinder that would cause the cooling system to become pressurized.. really pressurized.(enough to spew a column of water about 8 ft. in a continuous stream when the rad cap was taken off) Make sure you have a machine shop check the cylinder bores before you invest a lot of money. It took a while to figure out that one as it seemed like a problem with a head or head gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.