Hot Rod Forum banner

I didn't realize I was a interior decorator

873 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  coostv 
#1 ·
I made a big mess and hung some pretty good curtains in my base. I was in a big rush to get my trunk jammed out today and didn't let my sealer flash and went on spraying the base. I didn't spray the clear, I just stopped when everything started to follow gravity. I figured I would let it dry and sand it out, but will this work since it is just the sealer with a coat of base on it. Can I sand it out with 400 grit and spray some more base on it and then clear it??? Or can I sand the base out and spray a single stage urethane on top of it. This is just my taillight panel and where the trunk seal is at.

BTW: I used Omni urethane sealer with a Omni base. If I go to a single stage urethane I will buy PPG. I figured since I already had the paint and it was only the trunk jam, I would use.

#2 ·
I've hung MANY curtians too.
Tommorow/tonight whenever it dries enough,sand them flat,rebase,leave the decorating to the other half and clear it after an hour or so or even the next day.
Swapping over to SS now is possiable but no real reason.The base will stick fine and go on from there.
Winter just sucks for painting and always when we get into trouble due to the lower temps and impatience. Been there,Wrinkled it.

#3 ·
It won't be nice here for a few more days, it is suppose to real windy tomorrow. I probably will let it sit tonight and sand it out tomorrow and see what Friday looks like. I got in a rush, didn't let it flash, used slow reducer and it could have been a little bit warmer, I knew better I should have waited.

#6 · (Edited)
Well I spent most of the day sanding out the mess I made. This morning I masked it off again went to the parts, store bought a quart of PPG acrylic urethane and had it sprayed by noon. It turned out pretty good this time, no more Omni crap for me, that stuff is cheap for a reason. The difference between PPG and the Omni is like night and day. I took a picture but it is not to good, since it was getting dark when I did so. The color I am painting this car is a dark metallic green, hard to tell in the photo. The original color my 73 Mustang is school bus yellow, yuck.....

This is a bad picture, I will take one tomorrow in better light, this one doesn't show how well it turned out.

Attachments

#7 ·
Cool beans. Glad it worked out for ya this time.
Now you "understand" why the pro's use top line base's.
It's a matter of "where" you want to spend the money,and you will,
Good paint or more work.
I lucked out on my one and only Omni job and still managed to screw it up but it was a "I know but you don't" deal. :evil:
I can still see it to this day but nobody other than a "good" painter would.
This was a Chevy dark blue metallic with a literal laundry list of added metallics and toners.I about sheet myself when I saw it but pulled it off anyway.Actually,I think all the added mix helped or the PPG gods were smiling that day.

#8 ·
Omni is horrible for color match but excellent for full repaints on cheaper cars. I did a full repaint on my brothers cavalier(omni epoxy, base and clear) turned out excellent nice and smooth, good metalic.... It does not have all the additives as the good stuff. I love to spray the top of the line PPG DBC's and clears. If you are color matching or doing a muscle car use the good stuff. I'm young in relation the the average person on hotrodders.com (21) and I have learned to always take your time and do it right or don't do it at all and to buy quality tools because they save you money in the long run.

#9 ·
For complete low budget repaints I like PPG's Omni both the base and clear. In my opinion the Omni MC262 clear has an excellent gloss and durability and sands and buffs pretty well. You are not going to color match a factory paint with it very well nor does it always hide the best, but at its price point I never expected it to. Omni is around $300 for a complete job when you would be spending that alone just on base doesn't make much sense for low dollar rides.

PPG branded all the way for nicer stuff. Your Mustang deserves the best anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.