I finally made it back and really gotta git er done. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Be American, Buy American!

Wiki Edits: 0

I finally made it back and really gotta git er done.

I have been having a bit of health problems of late and had to let my project sit in waiting. I had her media blasted a couple of years back and primed but the company that I used did a poor job with the primer. They must have primer that cost .10 per gallon because the complete body is covered with surface rust. I'll get back to that later but now I need to get the brake system and fuel line plumbing done so I can get the body back on the chassis to give me more room to work. Age is er creepin up on me and GR8 '48 bow tie is still completely disassembled waiting to be resurrected. Do any of you have a schematic for brake line setup for the 40's Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan with M ll IFS disc and Camero rear drum. I have a roll of stainless steel tubing but I need to get all the connecting hardware and git er done. Thanks for any help and or advise you might want to send my way.

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 PM

You wont find any diagrams for want you want to do, the one thing you can do is draw it out, that way you dont over buy parts. SS brake line is hard to work with, are you planing on going all AN style with it? If you do you will need a 37degree flaring tool and buy all the diffrent addaptors to fit everything.
Unless its a show rig imo I would run the Napa black coated line and run all standard fitting, with the 45 degee double flare.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 PM

You wont find any diagrams for want you want to do, the one thing you can do is draw it out, that way you don't over buy parts. SS brake line is hard to work with, are you planing on going all AN style with it? If you do you will need a 37degree flaring tool and buy all the different adapters to fit everything.
Unless its a show rig imo I would run the Napa black coated line and run all standard fitting, with the 45 degree double flare.

What do you mean by AN style?

BTW this is my first try at doing a complete brake system replacement. Do you think it would be more cost effective to take this project to a brake shop and risk being skinned alive, or should I continue on my own? I am not a certified mechanic but I do have quiet a few years of certified shade tree wrench turning.

Al

Last edited by Gr8 '48 bow tie; 07-17-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You can do it yourself..just get under something you already have and use that as a guide for your system..make a sketch of where you are running the lines and go from there. I am assuming a disk drum system..

Sam
Old 07-18-2010, 01:02 AM

An stands for army navy, its a style of fittings developed for the military during WWII. It was so everything was the same no matter who made it,( tanks jeeps ect) well it worked so well its still used today. Like when someone says PS lines will be -6an or a 3/16 brake line is -3. Every number in AN is a 1/16''. So -6 AN would be 6/16ths or 3/8ths.-3 is 3/16th and so on.
Running SS lines is a great way to go but probably not for the first timer,its just not very forgiving. If your running disc disc I would run all the lines 3/16, if its disc drum I would run 3/16 for the front and 1/4 to the rear. IMO I would run steel line,as for if your should do it yourself or not I cant say, but its not that hard once you get the hang of it.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks to all of you. I will be running Disk/Drums for now, maybe down the road convert to all Disk.

Al

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.