I fixed it! :) but now having trouble with lights - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I fixed it! :) but now having trouble with lights

Well i fixed the starting problem on my 83 ford kinda but it's good enough. i just by passed the key and put a push start on it. i know that's cheating but i didn't know what else to do. The main thing is i fixed it. Me, by my self and who says a girl can't work on trucks.

ok now that i've bragged alittle i have another problem that i hope yall can help me out with. when the truck is running and i turn on the head lights it stops running. and no i didn't touch the lights when i was doing the starter thing (My husband already asked me that like 100 times) could this be the alternator or the battery? when i take the batt cable off the truck stays running. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Saitek5678

saitek5678

unplug the headlamps and see what happens when you turn the switch on.Let me know
Old 08-13-2009, 07:22 PM

thanks so much for the help but I went ahead and took it to the shop today. I went to drive it to town and it started spewing oil out the bottom. so i just drove it on over there. but i wish i wouldn't have because it was something that was easily fixed. I just didn't look at it. I figured oil spewing would be something major. any way they r going to fix what else is wrong with it too or at least try. any way thank you very much. I'm sure i will be on here again with problems with it.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Saitek5678

saitek5678

You go girl! and may your truck also! LOL Keep your chin up!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
Well, I had to ask my brother being I know jack crap about this subject. This is what he said....

Brian

First NEVER remove the battery cable on a car with a alternator with the engine running, that can be done with a generator because the regulater will control charging but an alternator can put out a 100 volts without the battery load and fry your computer, radio and blow out light bulbs and fuses will not protect componets from high voltage only amps, you can also blow your alternator out. On the starter problem, fix it correctly, it was nice that can now start the truck but the problem is it can start anytime in gear! someone can get hurt, the circuit runs through a safety switch that you have by-passed. This latest problem is most likely a bad ground between the body and the battery, look for loose or missing ground straps. It can also also have a weak fuseable link or bad connection in the wiring where as when the headlights are turned on it draws all the power and nothing left to run the engine. This can all be easily checked by an electrical shop.. Russ

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.