Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I got a 454 block...what's the best setup?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 12:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I have ran high power small blocks all my short life and have ran 10's with them, but I just built my first Big Block for one reason: money. Get to making 600 hp and you are looking at the limits of a stock casting small block... especially if you run 400's. A filled 509 casting 400 with all the money in for aftermarket caps, splied mains, etc. really adds up and so do the 3,000 dollar aftermarket blocks. You can take even a 2 bolt main 454 block... add ARP studs and be set to 1,000 hp.

To get back to the subject at hand... What I would do would vary by what you have. I would add ARP studs and get some forged pistons when you rebuild the lower end. A set of closed chamber oval ports like the 215's work very well with some work done to them and shoot for 10.5 or so compression. Keep the headers modest for a street car with 1 3/4 to 1 7/8's primaries and get a cam matched for your combo... I recomend Comp Cams XE series. Top it off with a dual plane intake and you should have a great driver or if you want to race... throw a 150 nitrous shot on it cause she will take it.