i got offered a trade and want feedback - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ok i see now. would it make a difference if my truck had a 350 from the factory?

on the 305. i only ask because i traded my rifle for a "350" after cleaning it up i read its in fact a 305. appearently he was told it was bored over and stroked to a 350. but since thats not possible i think ill get the 350 from granpa and try my hand at rebuilding a 305

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 10:05 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake R. Lawrence
would it make a difference if my truck had a 350 from the factory?
It could- if your truck has the computer and all the wiring associated w/it still intact.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 PM

if not. how much would i expect to spend on retrofitting everything to work without all that electronical headache?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:20 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Anywhere from $0 to $500-plus depending on if you buy new or used or if you even need anything- I reread the post and if he has a '86 there's a chance it may not have a computer controlled carb and distributor. Look at the top of the carb and see if there are electrical plugs at the driver side front corner of the carb and passenger side front top (see image below).

Cheapest way to go if you have a feedback carb is to reuse the Q-jet intake, replace the feedback carb w/a non feed back Q-jet, and swap distributors for a non feed back distributor.

The non feedback carbs and distributors were used on cars from 1980-back and some trucks from '86-back.

There will be electrical plugs and wiring going to the two places indicated by the red arrows if the carb needs a computer.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 AM
3rdmember

Last photo:

IF it's really an 85, it won't have a feedback carb.

anyway, it sounds like a LOT of work for little to no gain for granps

about the ONLY thing you wouldn't have to change is the trans...
linkage is different,motor mounting is different, wiring,radiator,brackets,etc....
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 AM

engine swap

Sounds like you will be getting the short end of the deal. A 3/4 ton truck changed from 6 to V-8 is just making your mileage worse than it is now.Tell your friends Grandpa no thanks,ain't worth it. Don't waste your money and time with the 305,just find a 370010 350 and have a descent motor.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVYRODS
Sounds like you will be getting the short end of the deal. A 3/4 ton truck changed from 6 to V-8 is just making your mileage worse than it is now.Tell your friends Grandpa no thanks,ain't worth it. Don't waste your money and time with the 305,just find a 370010 350 and have a descent motor.
the thing with the 305 is i already own it. im putting a v8 in my truck either way. then i was gonna sell the 6 to a friend of mine for 100 bucks. thats when grandpa said he would trade. how much could i sell the 305 for?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Anywhere from $0 to $500-plus depending on if you buy new or used or if you even need anything- I reread the post and if he has a '86 there's a chance it may not have a computer controlled carb and distributor. Look at the top of the carb and see if there are electrical plugs at the driver side front corner of the carb and passenger side front top (see image below).

Cheapest way to go if you have a feedback carb is to reuse the Q-jet intake, replace the feedback carb w/a non feed back Q-jet, and swap distributors for a non feed back distributor.

The non feedback carbs and distributors were used on cars from 1980-back and some trucks from '86-back.

There will be electrical plugs and wiring going to the two places indicated by the red arrows if the carb needs a computer.
awesome. thanks a lot. youve been a huge help
Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Too add another thing on the carb- in '85 there was a dual capacity accelerator pump-equipped Q-jet that used an electrical connector on top of the carb, but it did not use a computer, and also did not have the white connection to the throttle position sensor seen on the driver side front corner of the carb.

I mention this so you won't be fooled by seeing the wiring going to the carb- it's not a computer controlled carb even though it has one set of wires going to it. But if the carb has two wiring connections like shown in the photo above, it's a computer controlled or "electronic" Q-jet.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Too add another thing on the carb- in '85 there was a dual capacity accelerator pump-equipped Q-jet that used an electrical connector on top of the carb, but it did not use a computer, and also did not have the white connection to the throttle position sensor seen on the driver side front corner of the carb.

I mention this so you won't be fooled by seeing the wiring going to the carb- it's not a computer controlled carb even though it has one set of wires going to it. But if the carb has two wiring connections like shown in the photo above, it's a computer controlled or "electronic" Q-jet.

ok cool. thanks. if it is electronic i think i can haggle my dads 650 holley double pumper off of his truck and ive got a distributor that will work for it so i think im set either way

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.