Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   I Got A Shop (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/i-got-shop-37297.html)

MRGM 04-06-2004 03:06 PM

I Got A Shop

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/...sounds&.view=l
DOWNLOAD THE PDF FILE-(the little movie in there is helarious also)

Well not yet a shop. i just bought a warehouse from a furniture guy here in town. it is pretty much a blank slate. i have attached/linked a pdf for you viewing pleasure, let me know what yall think of the porposed space i layed out.

redish color= existing
blue color = proposed

its a cmu wall with a metal deck, steel joist system, concrete slab.
all looks to be good. there are skylights in there that i think are leaking. i am goin to look a little closer to see what is happening there. the roof is about 10yrs old and needs the parapates recoverd. easy stuff to do. will probably get rid of the sylights if i decide to recover the roof. this building is totally inconspicuous. if you passed it you would not even notice it. nice.

i am goin to start looking for some roll up garage doors to install per plan. anyone know a good place to get one.

I am excited about getting this hobby up and goin.:thumbup: :thumbup:

MRGM 04-07-2004 09:40 AM

what...no comments :( :( :cool:

poncho62 04-07-2004 10:48 AM

If you have the bucks to build that, go for it.......................

MRGM 04-07-2004 03:32 PM

Well I just did the final paper work for the building. I would like to get some feedback on what yall think about the layout I have shown there, it is about 5000 sqft, and would like to know if it is efficient, or would you do something diff.:mwink:

adtkart 04-07-2004 07:46 PM

Looks like big plans to me. I don't know what kind of finances you have behind you. I would suggest that you start with only 1 lift. The shop size (5000 sq ft) sounds huge right now. They shrink as time goes by. I don't really know what your total plans are, as far as is this a business that you are planning on opening right now or eventually, but don't move too fast.

MRGM 04-07-2004 08:45 PM

well the finances are not a problem, ill keep the day job. I would like to just have a place to do all my car/truck work with no impact on the house. i will start with one lift for now. i will start putting all together in the next year or so...hopefully it will be done by the winter....

Kevin45 04-09-2004 05:15 PM

Look great. One thing I did notice though is that you have 8' doors. If 8' is the width then that is not wide enough. I have the standard 9'x7' doors on my garage and my car trailer just barely makes it through the opening. The 9' is the width. If you are going to be moving cars in and out I would go no less than a 10' wide door just for the ease of coming and going. Just a suggestion.

Kevin

poncho62 04-09-2004 05:42 PM

I would also be concerned with the height of the doors......I wish I had taller doors. My extended roof camper van is a pain fixing outside in the winter.

MRGM 04-09-2004 09:05 PM

the existing door is 12' tall, and i would like the new to be 10'
:thumbup:

adtkart 04-10-2004 08:34 PM

It's your shop, but I personally like the tallest door I can get. You never know what you will need to move in thru it.

MRGM 04-10-2004 09:11 PM

well the bottom of the joist is a little bit above 12', guess the next can be 12' instead of the 10'. thanks for the advise:)

BstMech 04-10-2004 10:24 PM

It's not just vehicles you have to consider being too tall to fit through the doors. I have a 10x10 door, the other day I had our new air compressor in the back of my truck backing it in to unload and it barely within about an inch fit under. My truck sits a little lower than stock height for a half ton Chevy.

But there's always those really wierd situations we get ourselves into where that extra foot or two of clearance would be well worth it as well. ;)

MRGM 04-11-2004 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BstMech
It's not just vehicles you have to consider being too tall to fit through the doors. I have a 10x10 door, the other day I had our new air compressor in the back of my truck backing it in to unload and it barely within about an inch fit under. My truck sits a little lower than stock height for a half ton Chevy.

But there's always those really wierd situations we get ourselves into where that extra foot or two of clearance would be well worth it as well. ;)

good point:thumbup:

Kevin45 04-12-2004 01:23 AM

Maybe I ought to clarify my previous statement. I was talking about the width of the door. The sketch showed the LH door at 8' wide. Not wide enough. My car trailer barely fits in a 9' opening with only a couple of inches on each side. I would at least go with 10'wide minimum.

Kevin

MRGM 04-12-2004 10:46 AM

the one towards the bottom is an existing 8' the new on i install should be 10' wide.