Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I had my doors blown-off by a Ricer

20K views 177 replies 73 participants last post by  1BAD80 
#1 ·
I was taking my BB 73 Vette for a final run before I put it away for the winter a ricer pulled up beside me at the lights and he kept on teasing me So I figure I would blow the doors of this silly little ricer with his fart pipe and all. The light changed green and I nailed the monster I did spin the wheels a bit But that ricer dug in and man did he run he basically left me in the dust. The horror I guess our old technology just can keep up. The horror the horror. Hats off to the young crowd I guess it's their turn now. Oh well I guess I will go home and get drunk. The Horror the horror

#52 ·
I do have to say I have seen an impressive ricer over here in Japan. I hate ricers too but this one was an RX-7 and it was gutted, the engine compartment cut to pieces, the rear end suspension ripped out and they somehow fit a chevy 350SB and a ford 9" rear end in her. Threw some drag tires on the rear and that monster was tearing up the other ricers.

One problem, too much power for the light body. The guy ran it for about 6 months then lost control of the rear end showing off and put her in a tree. It was really too bad. It was kind of impressive to hear a rumble from a ricer.

Rick

#53 ·
rakundig,

I owned a turbo rx-7 and it was a fast car. It has a great stock suspension. It wasn't riced out and didn't have any stickers or big exhaust pipes. I sold it, I couldn't live with the lack of the low end torque.

On a side note, what are the pollution laws in Japan? As far as I understand, since you are stationed at a military base, there are none for you :)?

I came across a lot of companies selling used rotary/piston 30k and over engines from Japan here. Another pollution control by the Japanese government?

Regards!
Denis
'67 Camaro RS

#54 ·
Well guys you got me going here. I will do the following to hold-up the torch for the old American iron

1) I am selling the numbers matching 73 Vette
2) JUST BOUGHT A 79 4-speed Vette
3) I also bought a 427 short block which I will build up to 500hp
4) the wimpy 350 gets yanked out of the 79

Yes oh Yes I will be hot-rodding the 79 and no it will not have A/C or a heater. If anything weighs more then a pound and is not needed it will get yanked out of the vette. Should have this thing ready for the spring. Ricers bring on your turbos, superchargers and Juice I will crush you all. I am pissed

#56 ·
darom said:
rakundig,

I owned a turbo rx-7 and it was a fast car. It has a great stock suspension. It wasn't riced out and didn't have any stickers or big exhaust pipes. I sold it, I couldn't live with the lack of the low end torque.

On a side note, what are the pollution laws in Japan? As far as I understand, since you are stationed at a military base, there are none for you :)?

I came across a lot of companies selling used rotary/piston 30k and over engines from Japan here. Another pollution control by the Japanese government?

Regards!
Denis
'67 Camaro RS

The emissions controls in Japan are a joke. There basically is none. They recently banned all personally owned Diesel engines (had to sell my surf (4-runner)) but other than that they don't really exist.

A new / de-registered car has to go through an inspection that costs the Japanese 2000.00 dollars US. But we don't have to do that. We get a base inspection that is 40 dollars and that is it.

The Japanese are a real throw away society and since housing is so expensive the only thing the average Japanese can own is a car so they buy a new one almost every 3 years. Which is why there are so many leftover engines.

For example. I bought my Surf (4-runner) for 2000.00 US and it only have 65k on the engine. It was a 95'. The Japanese don't want it because it is "old".

The really cool thing is my 68 Camaro RS is too old to worry about emissions so I just need to show my blinkers and brakes work.

Rick

#57 · (Edited)
All the Japanese who look at the car say "Oh Youa hava too much eengin fora Japan."

Holy ****, i am laughing my *** off so hard.!!!! that was so good.

These rice-a-ronies are lightweight, yes big advantage, and will always have somewhat superior traction because of Front Wheel Drive. (weight distribution/drive wheel line) BUT

classic parts are cheaper.
classic parts are better.
classics can be fixed by the owner when needed
classics don't have to have as much exhaust components.
classics will be always be more valuable.
classics are just plain "cool".
classic car shows are much better than rice olympics
classics have real bumpers (most of the time) and can CRUSH a ricer to pixie-dust.
AND, classics will always get the puntang hot.

should i keep going?
:pimp:

#59 ·
As a 19 year old college student who sees the hotties gravitate toward the imports, I wouldn't want a girl who doesn't like the rumble out of my tailpipes, and the tire-smokin power of my Firebird, plain and simple. It kinda helps weed things out for me ;)

#60 ·
killerformula said:
I've often wondered what the idea behind the import engine was. How is it that they can get such massive HP numbers and ET times out of a little four banger? I think a lot of it has to do with the weight of the cars, and how they hook up for one thing, but I do sadly admit that there are some advantages that we are just not privy to in the old technology. Things like dual overhead rolling cams, four, five and even six valve heads... some of these little ricers will run 10:1 compression on 87 octane. No, I'm not kidding on that either.

I will point out, however, that the fastest full-bodied car in america is still none other than a 68 big block camero... proving that cubes are the winner in the end... So we can all still sleep soundly at night.

K
umm im chevy fan, but recently ive got myself a '68 charger R/T id say thats fastest stock muscle car. and looks good too, unlike all mopars.

#61 ·
I know this is a very touchy subject, but i would like to stand up for SOME of the "ricers". Don't get me wrong, I love American muscle cars, I wouldn't trade the feeling of going out every morning and feeling my Chevelle roar to life, but there are some of the guys in the import crowd that aren't all about the body kits, and the huge stereos, and all that crap. Most of my friends have imports, some ricey, and some are really quick, and I respect them (the performance oriented ones) for the work they do to their cars, I feel that they are "hotrodders" in the same since that we are, just with a different platform. I know I'm gonna catch hell for what I just said, and get the whole "troll" treatment more than likely but thats how I feel on the subject.

#62 ·
I know what you mean in a sense. I still don't really like the ricer cars but there are a few folks out here that I have seen do whole engine overhauls on the DB-20 or whatever it is called. Some sort of Skyline engine everyone likes. Anyhow I have seen some guys do this and dump thousands into aftermarket turbo accessories and the like. The self respecting ricer runners don't seem to care about fart cans and fins. They work on the engine and suspension, not stupid cheapo "looky my car looks cool" stuff. There are guys out here who have bought old junker ricers and threw thousands into rims and a 2f2f paint job with tiger stripes or zebra stripes etc... and fins but car runs like crap and they would know where to begin on fixing it. Those ricers suck.

Rick

PS. Even though they are ricers some are still good guys. They always come over and check out my Camaro, some even help me out when I am doing something that could use two people.

#63 ·
ive been avoiding posting about this but i cant help it. somebody said front drive had better traction...shut up. weight transfer causes rear drive to have better traction. which is ehy most ricers suck, most of the rear drive or all wheel drive imports actually have decent power. I helped my friend swap a japanese imported 87 toyota supra engine into his 87 turbo (it had no emission stuff) and we've had fun ripping burnouts through third gear up to about 35 miles per hour. plenty of power. Thats not to say that my camaro wont blow his doors off any day of the week. :evil: What i'm trying to say is that some imports can be fun too...as long as it drives the right wheels, nobody likes understeer

#64 ·
I can also appreciate the jap cars for what they are. Although, I think the "look at me, i'm cool" with the lights is going a little far. They definately have the light weight on their side. In high school i had a VW bug i hopped up and embarrassed many V8's. Granted, some decently built V8's blew by me after 50 yards also. All in all, i think we need to compare dollars for dollars. Put 10 grand in an american car and you have 700 stout horses. 10 grand in a rice fueler and you might have 300 horses. I know where i invest my money.

#65 ·
ehhh, I dunno about that whole weight transfer thing. Its definitely a help, but it not going to help you get a bite, its going to help you after you get the bite (you've got to dig those tires in before you lift up that front end and start the forward motion).

Second, I don't really think there's any way to replace setting your whole drive-train over your front tires. Even if the car transfers some weight, gravity dictates that it's going to create a downward force on the front of the car and those front tires. If rear wheel drive cars had better traction, they'd still be using them in place of the fwd jobs. You can get good traction out of a rear wheel drive car too, but its harder to get. Fwd is overall a superior method...

but its not NEARLY as cool as smoking your rear tires!

K

:cool:

#66 · (Edited)
I hate to be a Mr-know-it-all but FWD is the worst kind of drivetrain to have when you want to drag/streerace. Belive me, I´ve tried them both. What some RWD, V8 owners fail to recognise is that you poor traction comes from the fact that even a stock V8 has more torque at say 2000 rpm than most 4 cylinder engines period.
It´s like having a Honda and pop the clutch at 5500 rpm....

#67 ·
I had a run in with a rice burner, He had seen me pull out onto the street, so he turned around and came after me. He was reving it up looking for some action. Well I hate to let him down so"see ya" :spank: When he pulled up to me at the next light he was jawing something to me but I couldn't make out what he was saying over my american made BBC :thumbup:

#68 ·
Ive had it

I live in alabama and on saturday nights there is some street racing that goes on called the nationals it happenes about 1:00 in the morning ive been going to it ever since i was about 16 years old. Well i skipped a couple of months b/c i was going on dates with my girlfriend, all my friends had been telling me about the races so i decided to go last saturday night. Well since my 1991 firebird is in my garage gettin painted and my 1968 firebird is not runnin right i decided to take my moms toyota camary i felt like a idiot. Me and 3 other of my friends pile in the car and i told my friend to take his ford lighting down there and show some people up, so we go down there and we pull up and i see the Acura integra 4 door sittin in the middle of the road, im thinkin what in the hell is he doing there. So my friend pulls lookin for a race and everyone points to the rice burner so he lines up and they take off that damn rice burner about beat him. It blew my mind thats all that was down there imports everywhere, I started talking to some guy and i said we need to bring some real cars down here, he said what are u talking about and i said something with a V8 he said ya right. These honda are cheaper to make faster, I said what are u smokin. well all im sayin is the rice burners are getting away with to much stuff and im not gonna stand for it anymore.

#69 ·
You cant compare a mostly stock muscle car to a heavily modified ricer.some Rice does fly.
The downfall of the domestics is that too many young people are hung up on owning a 68 camaro or 70 chevelle as their first hot rod.That would be like me wanting a 57 chevy as my first car back in 1988 when I got my papers.
Most of us will sit around and gripe and complain about all the good muscle cars are too expensive and not available for us to hot rod,but we need to learn to work with what we have.
Instead of longing for an original LS6 chevelle why not swap a warmed over pickup truck 454 into an 78 malibu or 2nd gen camaro?Most states have rolling exemptions for emissions testing on cars over 25 years old.Well in case you cant count,that means we are up to 1978 with our exemptions now.
I know that most of these exempt cars are limited to 3000 miles a year by the state,but how many of us would build a really nice car and drive it every day in rain and snow anyway?Unless you do a lot of road trips you can easily get all your summer cruising done with a set of historic tags on your hotrod.
So lets look at the picture again.
2003 is a very good year for hot rodding.It is the first year that both G bodies and fox bodies will be eligible for historic plates.Along with them are rubber bumper camaros and firebirds both of which pack a big block sized engine compartment and bullet proof 8.5" rear.Any old 78 'stang or capri could be fitted with a super trick blown stroker 408 inch injected motor and 5 or 6 speed,and 8.8 rear and you could drive it without fear in many states.
So instead of shelling out all our budget for a rusted out 69 camaro on Ebay and then having to drop a junk 305 into it because we can't afford an engine,why not buy any of the thousands of 1978 model cars that still exist in semi rust free form and pack them full of warmed over smog era bigblocks and some nitrous and we can all go spank some ricer ***.
The cat is out of the bag about fast muscle cars anyway,so why not humilate them with a car that looks like somebody's hand me down grogery getter?

#70 ·
FWD sucks, theres no question about that, talk to any performance oriented ricer, and they'll asmit they envy our rwd. My friend's eclipse would be pretty fast if it was RWD, that weight coming down on the rear tires helps significantly, off the line the front of his car just hops up and down, breaking axles, knocking stuff loose, etc.

#71 ·
i hate to admit this but i have been beat by a ricer as well. whoever said you can make a ricer faster cheaper is wrong imho. i have a sbc 355 that is heavly modified (6/71, 2 holley 600 cfm, cam, gears, converter, the list goes on and on) in a s-10 which is a pretty light body that only has the essentials (no heat or a/c). i can take almost all the street cars that are driven to the track as mine is but there is one supra that is just too fast. i hear he has spent several thousand dollars to make it this way though not to mention the car cost about 30 k to start with before any mods. i havn't met a honda that has caused me any concerns yet or any other ricer for that matter. but i did some checking on supras after this and found several on ebay all the time with 6 or 8 hundrend rear wheel hp on stock internals. i would rather go fast than be popular so i am searching for a jap spec front clip to bolt to a th 350 with a narrowed nine inch out back in a tubbed 89-92 supra body. i will spank that supra that got me cause thats where his ride is weak the tranny and rear end. he goes 122mph in the 1/8 with a 2.25 60 ft time. i go 94mph with a 1.71 60'. i am no big fan of the 2 fast inspired typical ricer but i do respect speed when i see it. so i will use the best part of his combo (the engine) and the best of detroit (the rest) and hopefully end up with one way fast car. but if you see me listening to rap music please put me out of my misery cause i have definatly gone too far.

#76 ·
hey mines blown.. id hate to say this.. but that 355 u got.. can use a blower..or maybe 100 shot of nos.. throw some sand bags in the bed.. and then boom.. u would be rollin past that supra.. i think the nos setup would be cheeper.. but the best thing is having some chrome sticking out of the hood..

Nos

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.