i hate having to spoon feed car guys that cant firgure out anything themselves ... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 06:24 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

i hate having to spoon feed car guys that cant firgure out anything themselves ...

im on this one car forum .... its FILLED with incompetents ... its so bad it amazes me ...

almost the entire forum has a one track mind, they refuse to think outside the box or accept new ideas

and now to make matters worse, i built a turbo kit for a friend who is also on said forum. he has decided to have the kit 1 (only one like it in existance) built copied and sold by an out of state shop ... and hes doing it as charity, doesn't want to make a dime because its "for the community"

i work in production steel shop....
-i have access to everything i need to build fab jigs for the kit.
-i have everything i need to DO the fab work.
-i have access to over a dozen material supply companies (discounts)
-i have access to at least a 1/2 dozen machine shops (discounts)
-i have at least 2 local performance shops that are MORE then happy to sell me parts at a discount people off the street cant get
-both local shops are willing to help me optimize the design for best value / performance / ease of fabrication

but instead, hes sending all his pipes ...
that i made ....
that still need to be redone ...
that have NO ROOM FOR ERROR ...
off to an out of state shop ...
and that shops going to profit off the work ...
and they are going to have all the dimensions needed to copy my work anytime they want

should i be pissed ? lol

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2007, 06:40 PM
boatbob2

Wiki Edits: 0

expert..........

hi,join the club,do you think you are the only person that ever had that happen to them????? there are numerous cases of this happening over and over,get smart,CHARGE for your experience,and also for your parts,(NOT WHOLESALE) then you wont be P _ _ _ _ D off... and you wont have anything to complain about. it will happen again....so go with the flow,keep your b_ _ _ _ _ _ g to your self. this is a site for hotrodders,we DONT want to hear it. but,i know that you were born,with all the knowledge that you now have,and all the rest of us are (in your eyes) dumb smucks
Old 09-24-2007, 07:13 PM

so you think im talking about THIS forum ?

maybe you should rethink that assumption
Old 09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I'd be "mildly" annoyed.

I used to have a boss that took credit for my ideas, it took a few years but it finally caught up with him and he got knocked way down the ladder. Hell of it is I actually feel bad for the guy now.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

You should do like I started doing whenever I work on non-family, non paying other-people's cars. I just toss a few odd little items in. Leave an old spark plug (wire brushed to make it look new again of course) lying atop the intake, leave a bad headlight switch or a small assortment of nuts, screws, or bolts (preferably of varying sizes) between the seat and the center console. A spare brake caliper bolt left to roll out from the underside of the passenger seat during a panic stop does wonders. I got sooo tired (same as you I guess) of being screwed by the "I'll come back and help you whenever you need help-just call" types. So much less stress. I also bought a copy of Bill Engvall's "Here's Your Sign" CD just to listen to in the garage. Trust me, it helps.

In a while, Chet.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowROLLERchevy
should i be pissed ?
Yep!!!

You also should have learned a valuable lesson in life.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:34 AM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
You should do like I started doing whenever I work on non-family, non paying other-people's cars. I just toss a few odd little items in. Leave an old spark plug (wire brushed to make it look new again of course) lying atop the intake, leave a bad headlight switch or a small assortment of nuts, screws, or bolts (preferably of varying sizes) between the seat and the center console. A spare brake caliper bolt left to roll out from the underside of the passenger seat during a panic stop does wonders. I got sooo tired (same as you I guess) of being screwed by the "I'll come back and help you whenever you need help-just call" types. So much less stress. I also bought a copy of Bill Engvall's "Here's Your Sign" CD just to listen to in the garage. Trust me, it helps.

In a while, Chet.
Seems like the cure would be to just say no. If it bothers you, stop.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
Seems like the cure would be to just say no. If it bothers you, stop.

Oh, it stopped, and, I got a few good gut-busting laughs out of it too. I haven't heard one thing from an "ex-anytime helper" in almost 4 months. Peace and quiet. Win-Win for me.

In a while, Chet.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

i hate having to spoon feed car guts that cant figure out anything themselves

by by by by

Last edited by burnt olds; 09-25-2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: tired of getting e-mail comeing to me instead of guy who has spoon issue
Old 09-25-2007, 12:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
im on this one car forum .... its FILLED with incompetents ... its so bad it amazes me ...

almost the entire forum has a one track mind, they refuse to think outside the box or accept new ideas

i work in production steel shop....
-i have access to everything i need to build fab jigs for the kit.
-i have everything i need to DO the fab work.
-i have access to over a dozen material supply companies (discounts)
-i have access to at least a 1/2 dozen machine shops (discounts)
-i have at least 2 local performance shops that are MORE then happy to sell me parts at a discount people off the street cant get
-both local shops are willing to help me optimize the design for best value / performance / ease of fabrication

should i be pissed ? lol
If you worked for me, and used all my equipment and company time and suppliers for your own ends, I would give you all the time you need to build your Turbo Kits (the only one of its kind in existance).
Old 09-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosstrooper
If you worked for me, and used all my equipment and company time and suppliers for your own ends, I would give you all the time you need to build your Turbo Kits (the only one of its kind in existance).

<<GRIN>> that works.. Wht irritates me is the guys that complain they can't find what they need and won't get off the couch and go look..

Sam
Old 09-25-2007, 01:01 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Why didn't you paten it?
rich
Old 09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

When you get thinking out side he box then you have to CYA

Cover
Yer
Arse

Either shut the doors & keep it a secret until you can patent it
OR

make them sign a confidentiality agreement.

If its your stuff go get it back & tell them to pound rock salt where the sun don't shine.

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 09-25-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosstrooper
the key flaw in your post is the part that mentions "time" i never once said i would be doing the work on the bosses time. i have a shop key. i have the shop alarm code. all i have to do in order to work after hours or a sunday on my own stuff is ask in advance, just so that if the cops roll by and call the boss, he knows *** is going on.

as far as equipment goes, hes the one that came up to ME the one day and said "if you ever need to use any shop equipment, just ask" ... so i have free reign anytime i need something ... the one day he offered the use of one of the BRAND NEW $1200 rotabroach mag drills for the weekend. im also allwed to use the iron worker, mill, 12" press brake, 10" shear (which can do 1" thick by 10' material if need be)

oh yea .... the brand new CNC cold saw thats coming in, im the one that gets to run that, and already got asked "whats the first thing your going to want to make with that?"

on top of that, for a bunch of things i was told to weld them up at work instead of at home, untill i told the boss i have 220 service and a 160a welder in the garage, so welding stuff at work isnt necessary... he responded with "well if you ever need to do it here, just ask"

now for the suppliers: all 4 times i needed to purchase new steel i was told specificly where to call, who to talk to there, and where to say i was from, so i would say im allowed to use shop connections.

so i think maybe ... JUST MAYBE im not overstepping my bounds thinking i would be allowed to use some saws and a welder at work to put together some turbo kits

and everyone that thinks i didnt charge my buddy for my time .. your out of your gourds. i dont make a habit of doing stuff like this for free. my freebies stop at anything a shop would charge $200 in labor for

Quote:
You also should have learned a valuable lesson in life.
yep, next kit i do like this im definantly making up a contract that gives me the only production rights. one of the OTHER kits i did i basicly did the same thing ... i took the pipes when the car was later returned to stock and sold

cant steal my design for that kit without getting a breaking / entering /theft charge to go with it, lol

Quote:
I got sooo tired (same as you I guess) of being screwed by the "I'll come back and help you whenever you need help-just call" types
thats always a lie, always .... the only way you can HOPE to redeem that offer is if u ensure they know that they have to help you before you go back to help them again.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:

and now to make matters worse, i built a turbo kit for a friend who is also on said forum. he has decided to have the kit 1 (only one like it in existance) built copied and sold by an out of state shop ... and hes doing it as charity, doesn't want to make a dime because its "for the community"

should i be pissed ? lol
Some "friend"

He won't let you have any say in the matter?

Here is what I think though, never give anything away unless you are willing to accept that you may never get anything in return. Friends or not.

You shouldn't be pissed though, you gave the kit away...apparently with no strings attached.. Or did you tell him that you wanted something in return? Or are you pissed because you expected him to treat you like you'd treat him?
The guy who got it owes you nothing, if you asked for nothing as part of the deal.

Ultimately though, like Boatbob said in post 2.., you'd get your kit copied anyway. It happens all the time.

And if you were making turbo kits to sell for profit on my machines I'd want to get something for the use of machinery, tooling etc..It's just good business.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.