i HATE myself - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,070
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 316 Times in 273 Posts
i HATE myself

I swore I would never.... but after driving my Expedition daily, and spending $120+ a week in fuel...something had to change .....
Last week a 2005 Mistuishi Lancer got towed in to my shop, died while the guy was driving on the highway. We bring it in, the timing belt is broken. These are an interference motor. I give the guy the bad news, tell him we can do a leak down and see if the valves are bent, we can just go ahead and put a belt on it and try it, or we can pull the head off. He tells me he just bought brakes all around, and tires all around, and he is done spending money and was going to trade it in soon. He asks if anyone wants to buy it for a grand. I offered him $500, we settled on $650. I didn't bother leak down or frig all, just pulled it in and put a timing belt on it. Low and behold it runs mint. It needs an oil pan, it needs a front bearing and that was it for safety. But wait, its a mitsu, with a little under 100000 miles, its still under warranty. So free bearing, free pan, and Its good to go. The stupid little thing handles like a go cart, is so quiet and smooth to drive. I'm so unhappy that I love this little thing. But it will save me a fortune and is dead reliable so the hell with it.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2014, 06:25 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 13,321
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 839
Thanked 1,153 Times in 952 Posts
You made a good lick bygddy, hurray for your side.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
bygddy (06-27-2014)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Central MN
Posts: 550
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 107
Thanked 124 Times in 116 Posts
I rebuilt a 2001 that was pretty much brand new with only 3000 miles on it for my mom in 2002. It's been a really good car for her. Pretty zippy for a little four and it's got excellent visibility for a small car.

Hers just went over 100 a while back. We got all the stuff to do the belt change but haven't found time to do it yet. How bad of a job was it?




Two years ago I had it apart again fixing a few minor spots where rust was starting from a few chips here and there. The worst was the underside of the car. I stripped and powder coated the wheels too. I think it's probably the nicest 2001 Lancer around. My mom loves the color too.


Last edited by 64SS327; 06-27-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2014, 11:39 AM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 8,664
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 365
Thanked 862 Times in 824 Posts
when you get a bald spot,grow a pony tail and buy a Mazda Miata convertible. Will your kids still talk to you?(you can always say its the wife's car)
The price of gas has changed the way we live,,,, I owned a cobalt for a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
Silver Surfer (06-30-2014)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2014, 02:00 PM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,379
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 138
Thanked 324 Times in 299 Posts
I daily a fiero.. 40mpg if I keep my foot out of it/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,070
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 316 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
I rebuilt a 2001 that was pretty much brand new with only 3000 miles on it for my mom in 2002. It's been a really good car for her. Pretty zippy for a little four and it's got excellent visibility for a small car.

Hers just went over 100 a while back. We got all the stuff to do the belt change but haven't found time to do it yet. How bad of a job was it?




Two years ago I had it apart again fixing a few minor spots where rust was starting from a few chips here and there. The worst was the underside of the car. I stripped and powder coated the wheels too. I think it's probably the nicest 2001 Lancer around. My mom loves the color too.

Find the time!!! This is likely the fourth or fifth one we have seen come in with a broken belt, they always seem to let go around 100000miles. Not a bad job, I think book time is around 4hours, but my best tech does them in about an hour and change.
I'm really enjoying the little thing, drives like a go cart. Its pretty funny. The underside is clean clean on this, so hopefully will get a few good years out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,070
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 316 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
when you get a bald spot,grow a pony tail and buy a Mazda Miata convertible. Will your kids still talk to you?(you can always say its the wife's car)
The price of gas has changed the way we live,,,, I owned a cobalt for a couple years.
I luckily won't have the Miata problem, at my size I would wear it like a dress. When I put coil overs and an exhaust on the Mitsu I will just tell everyone its my kids car.... nobody likes the 41year old ricer lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Central MN
Posts: 550
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 107
Thanked 124 Times in 116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
Find the time!!! This is likely the fourth or fifth one we have seen come in with a broken belt, they always seem to let go around 100000miles. Not a bad job, I think book time is around 4hours, but my best tech does them in about an hour and change.
I'm really enjoying the little thing, drives like a go cart. Its pretty funny. The underside is clean clean on this, so hopefully will get a few good years out of it.
Now you are scaring me. Even though it's not my car I've got lots of time into working on it for her. I would hate to see the timing belt go. Time to talk to my brother about getting that done. I'll have to see what they have going on 4th of July weekend.

It's good to hear that it's not too bad of a job. He bought the kit with the water pump and other stuff that goes with it. I just replaced the oxygen sensors. The front one was causing a soft light so we ended up doing both for good measure. Other than that its always ran like a top with no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 AM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,070
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 316 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
Now you are scaring me. Even though it's not my car I've got lots of time into working on it for her. I would hate to see the timing belt go. Time to talk to my brother about getting that done. I'll have to see what they have going on 4th of July weekend.

It's good to hear that it's not too bad of a job. He bought the kit with the water pump and other stuff that goes with it. I just replaced the oxygen sensors. The front one was causing a soft light so we ended up doing both for good measure. Other than that its always ran like a top with no problems.
Lol, didn't want to make you nervous, but that's a clean clean mitsu you have there and wouldn't want anything expensive to happen
Yah, they really are a tough little product, my warr costs (I'm a service manager at a Mitsu dealer) are tiny compared to our Kia or Mazda stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2014, 07:46 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Central MN
Posts: 550
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 107
Thanked 124 Times in 116 Posts
I like the newer models but thought about getting another like hers for a work car instead of putting all the miles on my good car. I've always wanted to find one of the Evolutions. It would work well for me here in MN I think when the roads get a little sketchy.

Hers had only slight drivers side front damage with only 3000 miles on it. For $3500 it was a pretty good deal since I did all the work on it. We bought a front clip which were pretty rare at the time since it was a new model. The front needed a little bit of a pull to get it straight but it was minor. A guy renting my dads farm house worked at a body shop so we made a deal with him to pull it back. I did the rest which was a lot of fun. My first major body working project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,070
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 316 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
I like the newer models but thought about getting another like hers for a work car instead of putting all the miles on my good car. I've always wanted to find one of the Evolutions. It would work well for me here in MN I think when the roads get a little sketchy.

Hers had only slight drivers side front damage with only 3000 miles on it. For $3500 it was a pretty good deal since I did all the work on it. We bought a front clip which were pretty rare at the time since it was a new model. The front needed a little bit of a pull to get it straight but it was minor. A guy renting my dads farm house worked at a body shop so we made a deal with him to pull it back. I did the rest which was a lot of fun. My first major body working project.
Well it turned out real nice from what the pics show....
Yeah the Evo is a neat little ride, we have a few that come into the shop making 500+whp and are brutal fast. I'm the only local dealer that won't go tattling to Mitsu when the cars are modified so I see many of them. The Ralliart version makes a great little winter car, still has the AWD, still a turbo car but doesn't come with the big dollar Brembo's, or suspension or Alum body panels IIRC , so maint cost are much lower. The only weak point is the SST trans, its an incredible unit and a hell of a lot of fun to drive but won't take major HP increases or abuse. For a winter car they make sense, a down pipe back exhaust, a "gentle" tune (Cobb seems to be the ticket) and a good set of studded snows and not much will stop it lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2,387
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 731
Thanked 259 Times in 231 Posts
*Perk* Ralliart Mitsu?! On HR.com? GOOD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 PM
T-bucket23's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 57
Posts: 5,362
Wiki Edits: 26

Thanks: 9
Thanked 145 Times in 128 Posts
Those timing belts are real easy. I have done a lot of broken ones and never had a piston to valve issue. There is a lot of conflicting information as to if it is an interference engine or not. The only issue I ever had is on one a piece of the belt broke the crank sensor and I didn't notice it. Changing the crank sensor is almost as time consuming as the timing belt.
__________________
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity



Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,070
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 316 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23 View Post
Those timing belts are real easy. I have done a lot of broken ones and never had a piston to valve issue. There is a lot of conflicting information as to if it is an interference engine or not. The only issue I ever had is on one a piece of the belt broke the crank sensor and I didn't notice it. Changing the crank sensor is almost as time consuming as the timing belt.
Your right, when I speak to tech line, for the most part its a blanket "yes" whether its interference or not. That being said we have seen both, when the belt brakes under hard accel it usually results in bent valves, idling or cruising seems to cause no damage. On mine the tensioner was not holding tension and the cust had been driving it with cam/crank phase codes for a couple weeks. Had he scanned it we would have known what was up. He didn't, and the belt stripped all the teeth of at the crank. The chain driven newer turbo cars suffer the same issue, but its 90% user error, lack of oil changes or severe over revving will stretch the chain and set the same codes. The techline guys refer to it as the "idiot code" lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I hate it painted jester Off-Topic 15 01-26-2012 08:55 PM
Hate to Ask!! jimmy1 Body - Exterior 3 08-02-2008 07:59 PM
I Hate Theives!!! WakBordr7387 Hotrodders' Lounge 19 05-15-2006 01:04 PM
i hate cavaliers! oldschoolrods Hotrodders' Lounge 6 08-05-2004 11:50 PM
I hate my friends Malibucdl Hotrodders' Lounge 9 07-29-2004 08:07 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.