I hate these threads...but which muffler should I use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 04:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I hate these threads...but which muffler should I use?

Hello all,

I am about to put some kind of exhaust system on my new 04 GMC truck. On my last truck I went with a single 3 inch pipe and a dynomax ultraflow oval muffler. The problem is that when cruising down the road it had a lot of interior resinance and and drove me crazy on long trips, which I make a lot of.

I am not even hearing of turbo mufflers, and really want to talk about only high flow or straight through type. I am thinking that if I put a pair of smaller, say 2.25 or 2.5 dynomax or flowmasters the problem would be gone. I am also thinking about a 50 or 60 series flowmaster instead of the dynomax, but still in a 3 inch.

Let me know your thoughts.

Later,

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004, 06:10 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Turbo, I have a pair of the Dynomax Super Turbo 2.5 inchers on my 36 PU with no H pipe. The 383 makes them rumble a little more than I like, and have a bit of resonance a couple of mph either side of 70. This is irritating since this "forces" me to cruise around 65 or 75. My bud has Series 40 Flowmasters on his spiced up 350 powered 72 Chevy long bed. He has an H pipe and it has unbearable resonance at 55 mph. It is louder(in and out)than my truck through out the range, even with 2 inch pipes and a lot less horse power. Externally, both sound good. Though pricey, my son put a Borla stainless cat back replacement for the rusted out system on his Land Rover. It sounds good and seemed to improve the performance of the underpowered pig.

Trees
Old 07-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

I like the sound of the Flowmaster Mufflers

But its really a matter of choice, how loud or how much bark do you want? I put Cherry bombs on the Pontiac and it rumbles and I put side pipes on the 53 Chevy and it has a low growl.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 07-21-2004, 03:31 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Get a 4" chrome fart can,it made my Honda Civic waaaaay faster.
Sorry,Jon will prolly boot my *** if this starts another one of those import domestic wars.lol
Old 07-21-2004, 04:09 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Friend of mine has a 2003 F-150. He put dual exhaust on with round Magnaflow mufflers. The straight through design makes that 4.6L growl and there is very little interior resonance. I rode with him once and I have to say that they are very quiet unless you are on the gas. Plus they have that cracking "backing off the pipes" sound when decelerating, but it's not obnoxiously loud.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Get a 4" chrome fart can,it made my Honda Civic waaaaay faster.
I have wondered what these "fart cans" would sound like with twice as many cylinders blowing through them.
One of my suppliers is changing their sourcing and offering a particular line of these mufflers at a rate that competes with most other mufflers.
I realize these things sound terrible on a four cylinder (an Acura drives by my place several times a day that sounds similar to a Cessna on an easy fly-by), but what if you cram twice the firing order through them?

I can get them really reasonable with my account, but can't send it back after using it, so I seem to be at a quandry:
1. Get it, like it, use it.
2. Get it, hate it, hopefully re-sell it.

I will need to upgrade my exhaust in the near future as my catalytic converter has finally decided to exhaust in some unwanted places (it's 23 years old, I cannot really complain), I have NO muffler currently and the amount of pipe is nearly one and a half times the length it really seems to need.
Mine comes out of the Y-pipe, into the converter, diagonally across the 3/4 point of the driveshaft, over the driver side of the rear axle, straight across in front of the gas tank to the passenger side, and at a 45 degree angle back and out just behind the factory outlet point.
Altogether 22 feet of pipe, but will be shortened down to 14 if I go straight back to the same place without crossing side to side and back.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

This is why they make resonators, the longer the better. Run your choice of muffler ahead of them in the exhaust stream.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

I have heard good things about Flowmaster's Super 40s. Not as loud as the regular 40s, and with more of a power gain.

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M CUSTOM
(an Acura drives by my place several times a day that sounds similar to a Cessna on an easy fly-by)
Hey now, don't bad mouth Cessna's like that. I spent 4 years flying them in college. I compare their sound to any good running V8. It makes me "happy"

Chris
Old 07-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
This is why they make resonators, the longer the better. Run your choice of muffler ahead of them in the exhaust stream.
You know I have heard that the resonators, aka echo chambers, can actually help with resonance in in the interior. It just seems to me like they tend to make it louder outside. I am paranoid about changing up the exhaust and hating it. Can anyone elaborate on the resonator tip types that might help with cruise speed resonance?

I am thinking of just replacing the muffler and leaving the factory pipe in place. I would like to cut off the side exit of the pipe to get a cleaner look, but I know it can cause increased resonance with the pipe exiting under the truck. If I cut it off, I was thinking of adding one of the resonator tips. I am thinking that the 50 series delta flow flowmaster with the oem pipe might be the best choice. They are suppose to be pretty quiet.

Chris
Old 07-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Glasspacks cheap, easy to install, LOUD!

Mike
Old 07-23-2004, 06:36 AM

Flowtech purple horny header mufflers talk about LOUD!

I have always liked the sound of flowmasters but I hear they are very restrictive, I would go with Magnaflow or Dynomax.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:49 AM
members.shaw.ca/daltonboys

Last journal entry: Pit Crew
Last photo:

Ditto on the "Purple Hornies". I have them on my '38, and let me tell ya........"everyone" here's me long before they see me!
All depends what your after.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboS10
You know I have heard that the resonators, aka echo chambers, can actually help with resonance in in the interior. It just seems to me like they tend to make it louder outside. I am paranoid about changing up the exhaust and hating it. Can anyone elaborate on the resonator tip types that might help with cruise speed resonance?

I am thinking of just replacing the muffler and leaving the factory pipe in place. I would like to cut off the side exit of the pipe to get a cleaner look, but I know it can cause increased resonance with the pipe exiting under the truck. If I cut it off, I was thinking of adding one of the resonator tips. I am thinking that the 50 series delta flow flowmaster with the oem pipe might be the best choice. They are suppose to be pretty quiet.

Chris
I am not referring to the "tip" style resonators, I don't think they would quiet anything. I am talking about the glasspack style that the factory uses, solves all the problems you are concerned about. Choose the level of sound reduction you want by length, I prefer a "factory" replacement type instead of the "performance" type.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Chevy SS

Last photo:

run straight pipes
Old 07-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
I am not referring to the "tip" style resonators, I don't think they would quiet anything. I am talking about the glasspack style that the factory uses, solves all the problems you are concerned about. Choose the level of sound reduction you want by length, I prefer a "factory" replacement type instead of the "performance" type.
Sounds to me like two mufflers....

Wonder how it would work to use a dynomax race bullet right after a flowmaster? I have never seen these resonators you are talking about in the aftermarket, but I think I have seen them on some of the Ford and Dodge trucks right before the exhaust tip. I have to wonder if series mufflers would work well. The second might take out the bite that the first one missed.

And for all of you who cant read......I dont want a loud truck, and I have already had the dynomax 3 inch on my last truck. Like I said earlier, the interior resonance sucks on long trips so I want something that will be quieter and perform well.

Chris

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.