i have a 305 i got out of a 1990 caprice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 09:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i have a 305 i got out of a 1990 caprice

is it possible to use the stock roller cam with its duration and lift , be converted to carburetor? and what size carb would you suggest? 2 brrl or 4 brrl? it`s an upgrace from I6 to V8 i have a 350 but i`m gonna stroke it and use it as a race motor. would i have too much hesitation ?

I thought fuel injection cams have more lobe seperation?. being roller would help or no?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

It will run fine with a carb, I'd look at a 500 Edelbrock or one of the old Holley 4360 450 spreadbores. A good cam upgrade would be the "395" Marine roller cam used in 350 marine engines and the 350 Ramjet and HT383 crate motors. It's a pretty docile looking cam on paper but really boost the torque curve from an idle through 4,000 RPM. It has tighter lobe centers than the EFI cams. It will really wake that 305 up, it is capable of 350 FWHP in a 350 with Vortec heads and around 420 LbFt through 4,000. Crate motor takeouts can be found on eBay for about $80 average and you can keep your stock lifters if they're still good.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

chevy 305

the pistons have had new rings put in in the past 20000 miles, and u can still see hone marks pistons are nice and tight. i`m adding a new high volume oil pump .along with performer manifold. Oh and the 4360 carb you`re talking about i saw one in PAW for 250 bucks, with mechanical secondaries.. is it possible to use the transmission without the computer? i have the speedometer and all the cables, brackets and hoses. 700r4. is what it has in it. or should i use my muncie 4 speed?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

You can use the 700R4 without the computer you'll just need to wire up the converter so it will lock-up. There are several ways to do it just do a little research. Most of the aftermarket trans companies have a kit, that's the easiest way although you can wire it up yourself but DO keep the lockup function. Personally I prefer a well prepped 200-4R but I'd keep the 700R4 over the Muncie, your '91 is a 1 Pc. rear main seal engine and will require a different flywheel than '86 and earlier 350's. A flywheel from an '87 up 4.3, 305 or 350 truck will work but I wouldn't use them for anything high performance, at least not without a GOOD scattershield. Sometimes flywheels from 350 crate motors show up on eBay but they usually bring a hefty price. Not always though.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

305 with 7004r

i got the wiring and the tbi system out of the donor car if it helps. i got all the system wiring except from the floorboard back to the rear. all tranny and engine wires. anyway to peel out the unwanted rubble and use the stock lockup function somehow? with the foot brake swtich? and what else? i also have the electronic speedometer.. what rear gear came stock in a caprice classic? just wondering beacuse. i might have to order a ring and pinion package from jegs and rebuild the rearend. what Hp and tQ numbers am i looking at? this isn`t going to be a race truck just an everytday driver with the ease of getting away from the mechanical clutch of this truck .

And above all the 2nd and 3rd gear of a muncie hooked to a worn out inline six doesn`t take off and get going very well get alot of shutter and ticks and whines. 2nd is just like a torque gear with the inline six.

Thanks for the help dude. i`ve got a 350 stowed away to put into a. s-10 or isuzu pup.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

sorry for keeping it all going about the muncie . i have a cast iron shatter shield out of a 55 bel-air. pretty hefty. compare to my recent explotion incident with a damn powerglide bellhousing and an sm-465. it was pulled to far out of the input shaft bearing and rattled untile it shattered at about 90mph. threw the driveshaft right out of it.

Back on subjedt. could i use a stock inline six flywheel with my 305 or would it throw it too off balance?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.