i have a 70 buick 455 fresh bottom end and new high out put oil pump still no oil pre - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

i have a 70 buick 455 fresh bottom end and new high out put oil pump still no oil pre

my cousin has a 70 buick 455 that has fresh bottom end and new high out put oil pump but still has no oil presure we pramed the oil pump with vasoline it held about 20pounds of presure at about 2000rpm then when warmed up droped back off to nothin at idle please help thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 06:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

-crank ground undersize with standard bearings?
-maybe you left out a plug somewhere in the block
Old 09-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Did you replace the timing cover? The oil pump wears the timing cover on Buicks and they lose pressure.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 PM

no i did not replace the cover put new gears and friction plate how much clearince is supose to be around the gears in the timming cover that is the only thing i can think of if there is to much clearence would there would that cause that is so what is it suspose to be
Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Buick fun

I switched out my Buick 350 for reasons like that. I helped a guy on the side of the road one time when his Buick did what you speak of. We primed it by getting oil into the oil pressure line and into the pump. It was not fun. Check the clearance in the cover for sure. Ta makes new covers I think. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:36 PM

i have checked all the clearence on oil pump both are 3 thousand what i have read it is in specs i dont know what else it could be it has new crank and bearings new high volum oil pump with new thrust plate its got the strongest spring in it that came with the kit i have primed it with a drill and only got 25lb pressure it should have beared the hand what i have read thay say the timming cover houseing 1 to 5 thousand the oil filter houseing 1 to 5 thousand mine is 3 thousand on the timming cover 2 to 3 thousand on the oil filter i dont know what else to do what do i need to do to find out what the problem is help got whay to much money in it for it to be the way it is
Old 09-20-2008, 08:46 PM

i took the cover back off it has 6 or 7 thousand around the gears and houseing when i start it now it goes to 50 to 60 lb but when it gets up to temp it starts to drop then goes to nothing i notice that the driver side rockers was not getting much oil it is comming out of all of them but not like chevy and squrting out i have not checked the pass side yet the bottom end is all new crank and bearing new oil gears and thrust plate what could it be how much clearance can you get buy on the houseing on still have good oil presure is it the houseing or the cam bearing or both i dont know what to do i also have straight 50 weight raceing oil in it to
Old 09-21-2008, 03:14 PM
can i borrow 50 bucks?

Last photo:

I believe the proper end clearance for an assembled buick oil pump is .0015-.002. also if the pocket where the gears ride is scored then you will lose pressure. if main bearing clearances are to big you wil lose pressure. .002 is perfect for a street strip 455 on rods and mains. if you try to run sbc clearances of .003 or worse you will have oil pressure issues. running a high volume oil pump causes the front cam bearing to wear prematurely because the extra stress forces the cam downwards. and all the metal from the worn bearing fills the oil hole that feeds the drivers side rockers. using the strongest relief spring only compounds this issue.. pull the front cover and inspect the front cam bearing as well as the distributor drive gear and cam gear and i bet you find severe wear. I recommend using the TA performance back grooved teflon coated cam bearings and their oilpump booster plate. you may need a new timing cover. with a high vlolume pump and the heavy relief spring you should have pegged the oil pressure gauge on cold startup.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Your .006" - .007" is between the outer diameter of the gear and the bore of the housing? Or is it the end clearance between the gears and the cover, or the space between the teeth of the gears? All of those are important factors for the pump to work! I think normally .002" is a good end clearance. You can tighten up the end clearance by sanding the housing and/or cover on emery cloth on top of a piece of glass or flat wood.

also read this link, it illustrates some of the concepts:
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/Oilpump.htm
Old 09-21-2008, 06:43 PM

it is between the gear and the timing cover is 6 to 7 thousand the end lash of the gear between the bottom of the gear and the oil filter houseing is 2 to 3 thousand
Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 PM

if the cam bearing are bad which thay are would it cause it to loose all oil pressure like i said before when i started it it would go to 60 lb of oil pressure but drop to 0 after it warmed up even with the cam bearing out it still should have held some oil pressure right or not i still could have some oil pump issues
Old 09-22-2008, 08:39 PM
can i borrow 50 bucks?

Last photo:

Bad front cam bearing wont give a low oil pressure reading but it will cause noisy lifters and rockers on the drivers side. you probably have an oil pump issue as well. Go to V8Buick.com and there is a street strip section that will be able to answer every single question you could ever have about a buick engine.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 PM

the frout bearing is not that bad it is the other bearings are shot when i pulled the cam out the 2ed or 3rd cam bearing half of the bearing fell out well the coating it was about 2 in long and the rest of the is about as bad the fount is scored but the rest of them the coating is about 70 to 90 precent gone the cam it self dont look bad it is not all scared up i dont know how thow looking at the bearing i think i can get by with it but i am going to have it looked at thow

Last edited by tpisuper10; 09-22-2008 at 09:52 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.