i have a 86 4door cutlass wat motor should i get a gn turbo v6 r a ls1 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 02:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

i have a 86 4door cutlass wat motor should i get a gn turbo v6 r a ls1

yes i heard dat the turbo v6 is a pain in the rear and should i put a ls1 motor in there and wat all doo i gotta replace fo the ls1 to fit in and run rite so can sumone help me and wat yall think i should doo i want sumthing dats gone save gas a lil r better then dat wack *** 307

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

I don't think you can save enough gas with either the V6 turbo or the LS1 to begin to pay the cost of putting one in your Cutlass.

Even if you could get the engine for free, you would be hard pressed to install it without spending enough money to buy a lot of gas.

While either the V6 turbo or the LS1 would offer considerable improvements over the stock 307, neither would provide significant (over 25%) improvement in gas milage over a well tuned 307.

Keep in mind that most of today's cars (since about 2001) achieve better performance and milage with extensive computer controls, fuel injection, and overdrive transmissions.

My 2004 GTO (w/LS1 and M6) can easily deliver 25mpg on the highway (unless I cruise 80+ mph). I get about 15 mpg in town if I keep my foot out of it.

To achieve similar results in your Cutlass you'll need a complete LS1 engine/transmission combination with all the computer/sensor/wiring.
Then factor in the cost of adapting/mounting/connecting the engine/transmission/wiring/fuel and water plumbing/new exhaust/upgrades to the suspension(this could be minimal with the LS1), and your out of pocket a pretty penny.

Don't forget what your time is worth. All the time spent scratching your head trying to figure out how to squeeze an M6 or 4L60E trans into the Cutlass tunnel might be better spent. (In fact an extra 5 hours of paid labor each week at minimum wage would buy you more gas than you are going to save)

The best advice is to fix up the 307. (if it's completely shot - try either a replacement engine like Jasper or find a deal on a crate motor). There are some good EFI systems available that use modest computer/sensor technology at reasonable prices.
Even a properly serviced two barrel carb on a 307 should delive 15 mpg in your Cutlass.

You would have to double your milage to save about ($2500/year - I spend about $50/week on gas) so it would easily be three or four years before you would break even on a swap to a V6 turbo or LS1 IF you could get it done for less than $10,000. I think the going rate on a used (100k mile) complete LS1 is around $5000, but there may be some better deals out there.

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 PM

thanks bro and wat motor wud yu go wit wit dat being said the ls1 gn v6 r my stock 307=rebuild number 8 rod bearing locked up.. bro so wat should i doo
Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 PM

so dude told me the turbo v6 is a pain in the *** too keep up cuz of the turbo n etc
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Bro, muving dis to da baysicks fourume dude
Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

Thanks 68....how about to the dump

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.