I have a 87 gmc truck 5.7....timing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I have a 87 gmc truck 5.7....timing

I have a 87 GMC truck it has the TBI. I am having a hard time with the timing I have tried to set the timing at TDC, but it still won't start at all. I also tried disconnect the tan wire with a white strip that one my friends told me to disconnect. It still won't start with that done. Can someone please give me some help.........any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy37
I have a 87 GMC truck it has the TBI. I am having a hard time with the timing I have tried to set the timing at TDC, but it still won't start at all. I also tried disconnect the tan wire with a white strip that one my friends told me to disconnect. It still won't start with that done. Can someone please give me some help.........any ideas?
So what you are saying is you cant get your truck to start?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:53 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

Give us the history of what has occured.
The truck started and ran OK but suddenly now won't start or run???
Or I replaced the distributor and now it won't run???
Or I replaced the starter and now it won't start???
The more detail the better.
What is the tan wire for?

vicrod
Old 10-09-2010, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

tan wire

The tan wire is to bypass the computor and set the timing to 0 or tdc the plug it back together without it running and the computor will adjust when needed like under a load but all of this has nothing to do with starting unless the timing was really off a lot but I'm not quite sure what you really mean by not starting now. More detail please.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 AM

87 gmc truck tbi

I bought the truck it was running. I have found water in the oil so I thought it was a blown head gasket. come to find out the intake manifold was cracked. That was the only thing i have replaced. Ever since then, I have had hard time on getting the timing set right and starting it up. Other than that, I have put the timing on TDC and still no go.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

timing

The intake prob is quite common, but you have to pull the distrib to fix intake so I would say for sure your distrib is not in the righr spot. When you pull it out the oil pump shaft turns a bit as it is pulled out due to the gear being on an angle so when you try to drop it back in the exact same place it will tunrn itself back in to drop over the pump shaft and be off a tooth or two so the timing is always out every time. I always use a long screwdriver and turn the pump shaft(slot on GM) back about an 1/8 of a turn so when you drop the distrib back in it lines up in your premarked spot on the intake. Is the timing specs on 87 tdc or 0. Check under hood label it may be 10 degrees. As long as you didn't turn the motor over AT ALL even if the timing is out a tooth the distrib will just be over to one side or the other to get the timing back in the same spot. So it should still run, just make sure it is 0 or tdc first. If you did turn over engine make sure the engine is on compression to #1 cyl and distrib is on #1 at same time. It is easy to put it in 180 degrees off, in other words not on compression. Get back to me if you still can't get it. I know it seems a bit confusing especially online.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.