I have a 98 acura need some ideas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 01:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I have a 98 acura need some ideas

when I start the car and push on the gas the car readline on the rpms and will hardly run at all. could that be a engine cool temp sensor or would the car even start if that sensor is out any ideas would be greatly appr it is a 2.3L CTL

Advertisement

Last edited by BIGMIKE79; 07-20-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 02:08 PM

or is it tranny problems
Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

push that un-american car over a cliff
Old 07-20-2007, 02:22 PM

I thought they had a plant in Tennesse?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I'm not bashing your car but..... Acura is owned and produced by HONDA. Honda is NOT an American company no matter how many factories they may have in the US. Although the cars may be assembled here, they are designed and the vast majority of parts are manufactured in JAPAN and shipped here for assembly. In the case of imports, Made in American means assembled here and that's all.

Face it.... you own a rice burner. Although many of us, myself included, own rice burners (we drive a Toyota Rav-4) when it comes to their unique problems you might want to try one of the forums that cater to Japanese cars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that someone here may not be able to come up with the right answer, but people who are familiar with and work on imports may have more accurate information for you. Most people here work on and are experienced with American brands.

Good luck in your search for an answer.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:59 PM

Last journal entry: 1947 dodge
Last photo:

can you be more specific? does it rev ok in neutral but not in drive? does it feel like it is missing on a couple cylinders or is it just sluggish? does it idle ok? if it runs rough at all rpms in nuetral and drive i would guess bad spark plugs, wires, or a bad coil pack. if it is just very sluggish in drive could be tranny problems. sluggish in neutral and drive could be fuel problems(filter, injectors)
Old 07-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

The FIRST step to ANY logical troubleshooting is, PULL the codes!

Then See what the fail codes are.

NOW, common misconception, If it say's Bad EGR, most go out and buy a new sensor..in 1 out of 99% of the cases, this does nothing but drain your wallet..THEN they get frustrated and start throwing Sensors at it..then a Computer, Then Proms, ..what you end up with is a $1500 car that runs no (if not less) better then it did when you started...It's like paying for a BETTER prosecutor for YOUR Defense Case in court Because you thought the last one was too old or wrong..

The Codes Will Tell you THE LAST sensor you had that reported a Malfunction..you must backtrack from that area to the last sensor that reported good..the problem USUALLY lays Inbetween those two points Mechanically..There is where you concentrate your troubleshoot and repairs to correct the problems.

To arbitrarily Throw "Parts" at it, will usually NOT correct any problems, and may in fact create a few more..(broken plugs, wrong senders, and the like..)

Get or rent a Reader and start there..If you feel this is above your skill level, go to the dealer.

Doc
Old 07-20-2007, 04:28 PM

Last journal entry: 1947 dodge
Last photo:

You are correct doc about pulling the codes. I was just pointing out that it was a vague question and could be a bunch of different things. I hate to tell anyone to go to Autozone but I think they will pull your codes for free.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Yeah, here, they will rent them to you..(the code readers) just write a check for the price of the reader, then use it..when done bring it back, and they hand your check back provided you didn't break it..A Fair deal I guess.

Yup,

You can't zero into the trouble area without codes..there is so much else it COULD be..years ago you could..but no more today..

My point to him was..not to get a fail code on a sender , then replace it thinking the problem is cured..cuz most of the time it is only the DOWNSTREAM sensor reporting the problem because it is running out of compliance..not because the sensor is bad..

I see guy's here all the time .."5 Th knock sensor in a row..still getting codes.." when all along it was a dead spark plug..not a bad sensor..Now he has $300 in sensors he can't return, will never use..and still has a bad running car..

Reminding him to look at the LAST reported GOOD sensor upstream, and the sensor throwing codes..the problem usually lies between the two, not the sensors themselves. They are just doing what they are supposed to do..and (most) can be checked with a meter..for good/bad instead of direct replacement. (ton's cheaper!)

Doc
Old 08-20-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I'm not bashing your car but..... Acura is owned and produced by HONDA. Honda is NOT an American company no matter how many factories they may have in the US. Although the cars may be assembled here, they are designed and the vast majority of parts are manufactured in JAPAN and shipped here for assembly. In the case of imports, Made in American means assembled here and that's all.

Face it.... you own a rice burner. Although many of us, myself included, own rice burners (we drive a Toyota Rav-4) when it comes to their unique problems you might want to try one of the forums that cater to Japanese cars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that someone here may not be able to come up with the right answer, but people who are familiar with and work on imports may have more accurate information for you. Most people here work on and are experienced with American brands.

Good luck in your search for an answer.

maybe its just me but didnt MAZDA buy out so much stock in FORD? didnt mitsubishi and Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, & Eagle team up? or wasnt it just a couple of years ago japan bought out i think 90% of GM's stock? maybe its just me here. go to www.honda-tech.com dude. theylle do you right.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.