Hot Rod Forum banner

i have an idea

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  killerformula 
#1 ·
i was at work today and got an idea, what would happen if you could get a 350 crank into a 305 block, basically stroke the 305?

is this possible and/or what other parts would be needed

just an idea

thanks

russ

#5 ·
hahaha ok, thanks man, now that u guys told me that, it makes sense, sorry for the dumb question

how bout a 283 with a 305 crank?

i dont think the journals are the same size, but since im on the subject of stupid questions i figured why not?

thanks a lot

russ

#11 ·
were there any small journal 350's? the early ones?

#13 ·
hmmm...

a 283 block with a small journal 327 3.25" crank would make a 306

and a 327 small journal block with a 283 3" crank would make the famous 302.

you could make two interesting engines from to normal engines.

has anybody ever tried a 306? it would probly be a little more torquey than a 283. but it would probly be a waist of a good 327 unless u just had a 327 or 307 crank lying around.

never mind, that would just make a 307, i forgot to round up.

#15 ·
indeed, its too bad they chevy made different journal sizes. it would be cool to take a 4.125" bore with a 3" stroke, now that would be cool, a 321.

#17 ·
i dont think i would trust bearing spacers. it would definately be a wast if you had a large journal real 302 crank, but if u used a 283 crank with bigger spacers, it wouldn't be such a loss.

#18 ·
That's cute...I just had to giggle about my own youth when I would dream up possible CID combinations only to realize they already existed! My dumbest statement was telling someone I was torn between putting either a blower or a supercharger on my engine!!! DOH!!!!
Hey, Black86 I was just in Harrisburg last night....
Maybe I'll see you at a car show some time!

#19 ·
hahaah yeah, i work in the auto parts business so i have a lot of free time to look up parts for my own stuff and think up combinations, hahaha, and some of them are quite dumb

anyone in the PA area goin to the motorama this weekend?

thanks again guys

and about the bearing spacers, no way, definately not a fan of them, i just dont see them as being a part that would hold up, or be smart to use

#20 ·
333 stroker buildup option

1971 307 Chevy Block punched .030 overgives you a bore of 3.905, forged 350 crankshaft standard 3.48 stroke and the counterweights milled for piston skirt clearance, standard 5.7" length rods, deck clearance is the only problem. Mill the tops of the pistons to create a semi popup design. you wind up with a 333 cid small block.

(Make sure the corrected pistons are milled a little more than 0 deck height, or they WILL hit the heads. I learned the hard way with this build)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.