I have no idea what logic was used to build my motor... advice..? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 10:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have no idea what logic was used to build my motor... advice..?

So... I picked up an IROC camaro and i started looking into the drivetrain and what I have... so from a visual inspection of the motor...

Block: 5.7L
Carb: Edelbrock 800cfm w/ elec choke
Intake: Holley Street Dominator
Heads: 333882 casting GM heads
Cam: Lunati Duration 290/ 297, Lift .490/ .490...?? Guy said its a .490 lift lunati... this is my guess.
Exhaust: Edelbrock TES headers to 3" cat to 3" catback

Seems like an awful lot of carb... not really a good setup. Any feedback? It's just a driver for now... I' m thinking I need to ditch the 800cfm carb at the least. What kind of power do you think I am making with this? I'm doubting even 300. Trans is a TH350 with 2800 stall.

any comments / advice to make this a decent driver would be appreciated. Eventually... I'd like a nice blower setup in there.. but for now I want to focus on putting the interior/suspension together and the last thing I will do is the motor as tht is the highest $ item.

thanks guys!

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1022081755.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	33581  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Not knowing the rest of the internals, its hard to say. Most 3rd gen F-bodies were delivered with an engine in the 150-210 hp range, so if its based on that shortblock I don't think even 300 hp. The cam would shift the curve way beyond what the 882s could flow.

For now, if it runs well and doesn't offer any compelling reasons why you should change, leave it alone. In the meantime, do a compression test and see what you get. That way you can vaguely estimate static compression and determine the next course of action.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

It actaully doesn't look like a bad combination. The cam is not that mismatched to the heads- its a lot lazier cam than you would imagine with those long adv. duration numbers. The carb is a little overkill, but its not terrible by any means. The first thing I would look at doing would be a 383 kit. And then of course cam and heads. Its not a bad cam, but there are many better, same with the heads- not terrible, but a long way from great. With that setup I'd guess about 220 hp to the wheels.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
It actaully doesn't look like a bad combination. The cam is not that mismatched to the heads- its a lot lazier cam than you would imagine with those long adv. duration numbers. The carb is a little overkill, but its not terrible by any means. The first thing I would look at doing would be a 383 kit. And then of course cam and heads. Its not a bad cam, but there are many better, same with the heads- not terrible, but a long way from great. With that setup I'd guess about 220 hp to the wheels.
Talked to the guy that built it and the heads had some work done as well as high compression pistons. Valves are 2.02/1.60 opposed to 1.94/1.50 stockers I guess. It'll do for now haha. still sounds mean at least.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.