Hot Rod Forum banner

I have no spark; reached insanity; need help

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  0pyders 
#1 ·
Engine is a 350 chevy with a computer controlled distributor coil-in-cap type. The engine is on a stand so the distributor is not plugged in to the computer if that makes a difference. The module and coil are new. The pickup coil tested good. I've got the distributor clamped down to the intake for grounding. I have that 3 wire connector going to the cap with the pink wire on the BATT side. I have 12 volts going into the single wire that plugs into the BATT too. I used a timing light to check it and it didn't flash. Wires are a few months old, used only a couple of times. Plugs are new. Cap and rotor are a few months old but only used a couple of times, I see no cracks. Anyone know what else to check? I would really appreciate advice, I don't know what else to do. I don't think it's supposed to be this hard. :smash:

#2 · (Edited)
Just so make sure I'm following you right. The distributor is hooked only to the positive side of the battery?

What year exactly is this engine?

Remember, the ignition module has to give a reference signal to the distributer so it knows where its at. In other words, yes you have power and ground present but no trigger/signal, that's why your timing light is not working either.

Does the ignition module have 4 contacts?

#3 ·
toofast415 said:
Just so make sure I'm following you right. The distributor is hooked only to the positive side of the battery?

What year exactly is this engine?

Remember, the ignition module has to give a reference signal to the distributer so it knows where its at. In other words, yes you have power and ground present but no trigger/signal, that's why your timing light is not working either.

Does the ignition module have 4 contacts?
yes only hooked to the positive battery terminal.

Engine is a (1969-1979) 010 350 small block chevy

ignition module is a 5 pin style:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380194854058&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

How would I get the module to give a reference signal?

#4 ·
the 5 pin module you have is an antiquated module used RARELY on some 78-79 models, usually oldsmobiles. You should use a 4 pin module and forget the 5 pin module. The 5 pin requires an extra spark computer module to control the bias on the extra (5th) terminal wich is what advances the timing. If it is not sparking being hooked up with 4 terminals used, it probably isnt any good.
Sounds like you did away with the 7-8 pin setup (good move) and are running the 4 pin wiring, trouble is without weights or a vacuum chamber there is no way to control timing.

Attachments

#5 ·
latech said:
the 5 pin module you have is an antiquated module used RARELY on some 78-79 models, usually oldsmobiles. You should use a 4 pin module and forget the 5 pin module. The 5 pin requires an extra spark computer module to control the bias on the extra (5th) terminal wich is what advances the timing. If it is not sparking being hooked up with 4 terminals used, it probably isnt any good.
Sounds like you did away with the 7-8 pin setup (good move) and are running the 4 pin wiring, trouble is without weights or a vacuum chamber there is no way to control timing.
wait no I have the 5 pin wiring and its using a new 5 pin ignition module, I don't see why that would be the problem?
I should try using the 4 pin module?

#13 ·
ok I learned that there are 3 different 5 pin modules and I have to make sure I have the right one since they aren't interchangeable (like they weren't hard enough to get already right?) and I have to make sure the wires on my pickup coil with a yellow connector are plugged into the right side of the module.

Thanks for that article latech. do you know how I can find out which 5 pin module I need? I was thinking that I could match the letters to each pin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.