i have to reset timing occassionally to get engine started??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i have to reset timing occassionally to get engine started???

Sbc 350...I'm sure cam duration has a lot to do with this and its a pretty rowdy cam but Yesterday my car ran fine, today I go to move it, it doesn't start...I go to the distributor and advance it, the car fires right up...is it normal to have to do this occassionally? I practically tore my engine apart over the last 4 mos. Just to find out this was the problem...my timing was set at 17 degrees before TDC but it sounded loappy like it wanted to turn off at idle at the stop light. is 17 degrees too much advance? I read 10 degrees is a good start but where should I be aiming to set it at..12 - 14? I'm in the Army and All my tools (timing light) are packed for I'm about to head korea...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Need engine and cam specs. C/R, adv. duration, lift, heads, ect.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

This could be more than a timing issue, carb could be an issue too.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgenmess
Sbc 350...I'm sure cam duration has a lot to do with this and its a pretty rowdy cam but Yesterday my car ran fine, today I go to move it, it doesn't start...I go to the distributor and advance it, the car fires right up...is it normal to have to do this occassionally? I practically tore my engine apart over the last 4 mos. Just to find out this was the problem...my timing was set at 17 degrees before TDC but it sounded loappy like it wanted to turn off at idle at the stop light. is 17 degrees too much advance? I read 10 degrees is a good start but where should I be aiming to set it at..12 - 14? I'm in the Army and All my tools (timing light) are packed for I'm about to head korea...
Not knowing much about your engine, I'll say that the constant need to add timing to the ignition sounds like either the cam drive, what ever that is?, is wearing out; or the cam gear that drives the distributor or the distributor gear that meshes with it is wearing out.

Bogie
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

Its a year one crate it was put in while I was deployed one year and the paper work was lost ...if I had that I would be good to go...I can give you the little knowledge that I have about the engine from the person who put it in tho...its rated at 450hp lol that it...so I'm sure its not going to be near factory timing
Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Last photo:

There's one thing i fail to do after adjusting the dizzy and that's tighten it back down...it just don't seem to be the issue cause the cap never leaves where I set it...
Old 02-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

well gee i think u just found your problem u haveta tighten it down or of course it will move out of time. even a little viberation while driving wil knock it out of wack
Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneooo
well gee i think u just found your problem u haveta tighten it down or of course it will move out of time. even a little viberation while driving wil knock it out of wack
haha,i was first thinking when i read the post was, is the hold down clamp tight.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.